Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trekker4747 View Post
    So the extended fever-dream that's been this nonsensical run of Action is over, right? Sorry, just not a Morrison fan at all, I feel like I'd need to be full wasted AND high to even begin to understand what's going on in these books and even then I'd feel like I'm missing 90% of the pages in the books.
    That is funny. And pretty true. There is no reason for anyone to get that feeling from a $5 book.

Still Lex saved Superman with his mind-power, Supes got pounded into the ground with his own statue, and He kicked Superdoom's ass. We all "clapped for Tinkerbell" (Tell me you didn't say your name backwards). And the back-up made us better people if only for a few seconds. You can't ask for much more from a comic book.

I gotta be honest here, I feel like once Morrison moved on from the Brainiac story and went full force with the Vyndyxtvx story, this run crashed and burned pretty badly. The second half of his run kinda sucked IMO, with a couple small exceptions.

My problem with this story, as opposed to other Morrison works, is that I feel there's not much interesting being said about the character. What did all this stuff really do or say about Superman? Morrison delves in weirdness all the time, but usually that weirdness ultimately serves to strengthen the character and deliver some powerful thematic message. Pretty much the only theme I got out of this was "the power of good trumps evil," which was delivered much more eloquently and with far less extraneous garbage in Final Crisis.

I found myself completely losing interest in the last handful of issues of this run and for this reader, this arc kinda sucked. The "evil across dimensions" idea is cool but I think the execution here was poor, and this arc didn't do anything for Superman in the way that All-Star Superman or Final Crisis were incredibly heartfelt and literate tributes. Compared to those stories, the execution here was terrible IMO. I have to say my thoughts sway far closer to Newsarama's 3/10 than most of the praise I see here. And I thought the first Brainiac arc was fantastic, absolutely incredible and exactly what I'd want out of Superman. I think it's a shame Morrison wasted the potential to push further with those types of stories, that reinvention of the character in classic Americana tropes with a mixing of silver age weirdness, to dabble completely in the latter (silver age weirdness) and go way too far down that esoteric rabbit hole.

I'm also kind of pissed off in general because a few months ago I started getting really excited for Diggle's run, and now I don't even have that to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    That is funny. And pretty true. There is no reason for anyone to get that feeling from a $5 book.

Still Lex saved Superman with his mind-power, Supes got pounded into the ground with his own statue, and He kicked Superdoom's ass. We all "clapped for Tinkerbell" (Tell me you didn't say your name backwards). And the back-up made us better people if only for a few seconds. You can't ask for much more from a comic book.
    I didn't say my name backwards, because I'm not even sure how one would begin to know how to do that. Do I say it backwards as if it were spelled backwards, or do I say it in a manner that if you were to record it and play it backwards it would sound correct? Eitherway I'm not sure how one would do that, nor am I sure how one gets everyone on the entire planet to do it at the same time. But, whatever. Morrison is just way too out there for his stuff to even begin to be entertaining or legible to me. But I've never been on acid, so...

Neil Simon's Reservations

Quote Originally Posted by Trekker4747 View Post
    I didn't say my name backwards, because I'm not even sure how one would begin to know how to do that. Do I say it backwards as if it were spelled backwards, or do I say it in a manner that if you were to record it and play it backwards it would sound correct? Eitherway I'm not sure how one would do that, nor am I sure how one gets everyone on the entire planet to do it at the same time. But, whatever. Morrison is just way too out there for his stuff to even begin to be entertaining or legible to me. But I've never been on acid, so...
    I've never been on acid, either, so... Are we just talking about which drugs we haven't done? If that is the case, I have a long list.

There was nothing illegible about this issue. And I found it damn entertaining. I'd give the issue a 9.5/10. Just phenomenal stuff. The only thing hampering it was the artists. Neither are among the best storytellers in the biz (and I like both immensely as illustrators, but not necessarily as storytellers). They get the point across without daring panel & page layouts.

The run as a whole would be a 10/10 with a better storyteller as Morrison's companion. 5 & 6 were stellar with Kubert. 13 with Foreman was moody and surreal. Kubert, Cameron Stewart, Doug Mahnke, they would be my choices. AS it stands, it gets a 9/10 overall.

Hoping for a deluxe edition collected just Morrison's portions of the story, no back-ups or annual.

Can anyone tell me how the first trade is organized? I know it's 1-4, 7-8, then 5-6. Are the back-ups all at the end or after each issue? I haven't been to a store to check.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDonAbides View Post
    I've never been on acid, either, so... Are we just talking about which drugs we haven't done? If that is the case, I have a long list.

There was nothing illegible about this issue. And I found it damn entertaining. I'd give the issue a 9.5/10. Just phenomenal stuff. The only thing hampering it was the artists. Neither are among the best storytellers in the biz (and I like both immensely as illustrators, but not necessarily as storytellers). They get the point across without daring panel & page layouts.

The run as a whole would be a 10/10 with a better storyteller as Morrison's companion. 5 & 6 were stellar with Kubert. 13 with Foreman was moody and surreal. Kubert, Cameron Stewart, Doug Mahnke, they would be my choices. AS it stands, it gets a 9/10 overall.

Hoping for a deluxe edition collected just Morrison's portions of the story, no back-ups or annual.

Can anyone tell me how the first trade is organized? I know it's 1-4, 7-8, then 5-6. Are the back-ups all at the end or after each issue? I haven't been to a store to check.
    I think the back ups are at the end.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

I thought Rags did great this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I gotta be honest here, I feel like once Morrison moved on from the Brainiac story and went full force with the Vyndyxtvx story, this run crashed and burned pretty badly. The second half of his run kinda sucked IMO, with a couple small exceptions.
    I'm the opposite, as fun as the Collector arc was, after that was when I felt the run truly picked up its steam.

I forgot to mention it earlier but one of my favorite moments from the entire issue is when Mrs. Nxyl begins to sympathize with Clark for the things Vyn did in his past that cost him, but Superman's having none of being felt sorry for, content with his life as is, no regrets, and then proceeds to wish for the team on Mars back to life.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-22-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntikrst View Post

Then he lifted something heavy into space before crashing to Earth. I don't see why Morrison should get a free pass when Singer didn't.
    Because Superdoom wasn't made out of Kryptonite perhaps? Or maybe it's that Morrison's run isn't plagued by pretentious drama in a failed attempt to copy the awesome Donner's film?
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Before reading Morrison's last issue, I decided to go back through his whole run. And boy am I glad I did. It's really a very satisfying read that way.

I think, though, that this is probably the most complicated superhero narrative Grant's written with one of the Big Two properties he's worked. I know that all of his stories in a given run will call back and refer to each other, but Action took it to another level.

Anyway...a beautiful story, with sometimes frustrating art from his main collaborator Rags Morales, even though I liked Morales' last issue.

I'm not sure if I'm ready quite yet to say this is as good as All Star Superman, though it's certainly in my top 10 Superman stories. ASS is definitely less...complicated and more straightforward, but that might not mean it's necessarily better.

I have zero interest or investment in the legion, so whenever they show up I get bored. So this run fell flat for me. Some cool ideas, but not executed as well as it could have been.

D': Why do good things always have to end?

Really good run. It has been great to read, start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntikrst View Post
    Except he didn't. He barely managed to survive long enough for the Wanderers, the Legion, Mxy, Giz and everyone else on planet Earth to exploit Vinny's hubris and save Superman.

Then he lifted something heavy into space before crashing to Earth. I don't see why Morrison should get a free pass when Singer didn't.
    Thats the power Superman has, he inspires people, unites people and gives people strength and courage. Thats why all of us worked together and defeated Vyn.

My main problem with Morrison's writing lately is that he tends to do things extremely meta, especially with Superman. This entire Vyndyktv story was a rehash of Final Crisis with an imp in place of a vampire Monitor. Superman can't just defeat some great evil, he needs to defeat things that threaten the very concept of existing.

Still, there are the puns.

Mxyzptlk's greatest sleight of hand worked because Vyndyktv was slight of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoryD View Post
    My main problem with Morrison's writing lately is that he tends to do things extremely meta, especially with Superman. This entire Vyndyktv story was a rehash of Final Crisis with an imp in place of a vampire Monitor. Superman can't just defeat some great evil, he needs to defeat things that threaten the very concept of existing.

Still, there are the puns.

Mxyzptlk's greatest sleight of hand worked because Vyndyktv was slight of hand.
    this wasn't especially meta.