View Poll Results: Would you read a Spider-Man 2099 title?

Voters
36. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

22 61.11%
  • No

4 11.11%
  • Maybe

4 11.11%
  • Only if Peter David wrote it

6 16.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I initially got into comic books in the 3rd Grade, 1994-95 comic range. I was hooked on the Clone Saga and The Scarlet Spider, and stopped reading when that all wrapped up in 1997 a few years later. In that time period, I had grabbed a couple Spider-Man 2099 books because they were available at the local Drug Store that sold comics in my small town. Never really got into it like I did the Clone Saga.

Enter 2012, where by chance I am I visit an old comic store and find out there's a Scarlet Spider #1. Now, of course this isn't my favorite character Ben but it intrigued me enough to start reading comics again after 15 years.

Yadda yadda yadda, I start following the new Scarlet Spider and start picking up comic books again. By chance, I go to a Five Below and find bagged copies of 4 comic books for $5 with two books showing being DC or Marvel with a crapshoot in-between.

Needless to say, this was how I discovered Spider-Man 2099 #1 (for some reason I got lucky and my 4 for $5 had TWO copies of #1 inside plus the 3 other comics). I read #1 and I was HOOKED!

I began hitting up all the local comic stores in order to buy back issues of Spidey 2099 and new issues of Scarlet Spider and ASM. Eventually growing impatient, I torrented the whole run of 2099 and found it to be one of my favorite Spider-Man stories ever told. Since then I've not only committed myself to buying and completing the whole 2099 series, but continuing to buy Spider titles every month once again 15 years later.

Scarlet Spider relaunching got me to bite on comics once again, but Spider-Man 2099 was what really hooked me to get back into them again.

So, well. Fuck yes I would buy and read any Spider-Man 2099 series to come out. The 2009/2099 Timestorm stuff didn't impress me, so I can't wait until Marvel pulls it out of the bag again.

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    Really? Hmm I guess I've seen a few... I guess I havn't been as active around these boards.
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com...ook&highlight=
    Superman sucks. Batman rules. Spider-man's the best.

Did you really bring up a 3 year old thread as a defense of these threads popping up every few months? That is laughable... Your only defense would be that someone did post in it back in October.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

I really disliked what they tried out in the recent mini, the changes they made to Miguel. I'll ape what others have said and say to sign me up if it is more in line with what was originally launched in the '90s 2099 era. Heck, I'd even take a whole line of books again if they kept it to four or so books. Even bring back Ravage! :)

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

I'd probably check it out, but I'd only want PAD to do it if he had a good story idea. Not just for shits and giggles.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Did you really bring up a 3 year old thread as a defense of these threads popping up every few months? That is laughable... Your only defense would be that someone did post in it back in October.
    There was one recent one that got merged with the old one. But I don't suppose you even bothered to search in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    There was one recent one that got merged with the old one. But I don't suppose you even bothered to search in the first place.
    Have you ever noticed how threads reappear every few months on message boards? Heck it is why I'm not as active on these boards because I got sick of the same conversations over and over.

Sorry that you are new to the message board thing. I hate the people that come in and side track the thread with these complaints. Why click on the thread and complain if you feel we just had the discussion? Aren't you just wasting yours and everyone else's time? Notice that I posted in the best writers thread without a comment. Do you know how many times we've had that discussion?

Come join the club!

Have you ever noticed how threads reappear every few months on message boards? Heck it is why I'm not as active on these boards because I got sick of the same conversations over and over.

Sorry that you are new to the message board thing. I hate the people that come in and side track the thread with these complaints. Why click on the thread and complain if you feel we just had the discussion? Aren't you just wasting yours and everyone else's time? Notice that I posted in the best writers thread without a comment. Do you know how many times we've had that discussion?
    From what I see, it really didn't derail the thread until you started harping on it. Congratulations for cratering your own thread, dude.

Double post

So now that I've started re-reading these I'm going to need to fill in the rest of my run on the book! I found someone who will move them so I'll have to figure out if I still think it should come back.

And I think it has to have PAD or it is a no go. It could be like that X-Men book Claremont wrote a few years back. Was it X-Men Forever I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    From what I see, it really didn't derail the thread until you started harping on it. Congratulations for cratering your own thread, dude.
    Chris S. 1 Cheesedique 0

Come join the club!

I would happily welcome the return of Spider-Man 2099...provided that it was written by Peter David.
    If it were to be written by anybody else then I would not be interested.
    R.I.P. Don't pee in the (Dead)pool, November 2007 - January 2013

I recently filled in the holes in my collection and reread this series. I loved it more than I did when I first read it 20 years ago!

I wish they would bring it back as a monthly title, and be as faithful to the original as possible. It and xmen2099 were still profitable when marvel went bankrupt and every title was on the chopping block, then the whole Cavilari (sp) thing happened.

Basically we need a second take on the original series with only minor adjustments to account for 20 years of technology. Stuff like Kilobytes being huge, and the internet and Ipads being alittle different should be all thats changed. Miguel, Gabe, Tyler Conchata, even Kron should all be the same and have the same relationships.

Spidey went thru 3 phases from origin to fall of the hammer he was a noob learning the ropes. From FotH to Doom he was in the golden age where he was confortable and confident as a hero and really fleshed out, then doom till the deluge where he ascended to Tyler Stones job and took the place of his enemy.

I wasnt overly impressed with the 2 attempts at 2099 revivals (although i did buy them), they just strayed too far from the source. Make Peter David an editor or something and relaunch!

Yes. I'd give it a go at least for the first story arc to see what the writer did with it. The last run wasn't exactly my favourite run of all time but it was all right. My preference would be Peter David to do it though.