Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 41 of 41
  1. #31
    Elder Member Wjowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    Skyrim doesn't even remotely resemble DMC or NG's mechanics. Both of those games revolved around collecting orbs and buying a handful of upgrades along a single, linear path throughout the game. There was no leveling up, no skills, no perks, no stats, no gear, no builds, no...anything that would make the games similar. You can't build Dante or Ryu differently. There's no way to customize their growth. In no way do these games have anything in common.

    You're trying to draw comparisons where there are none. At all. And it just sounds like you haven't actually played any of these games.
    Ironically one of the games he listed as 'not an rpg', Dynasty Warriors, actually does have stats that determine nearly everything you do.

  2. #32
    Veteran Member Simbob4000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    Skyrim doesn't even remotely resemble DMC or NG's mechanics. Both of those games revolved around collecting orbs and buying a handful of upgrades along a single, linear path throughout the game. There was no leveling up, no skills, no perks, no stats, no gear, no builds, no...anything that would make the games similar. You can't build Dante or Ryu differently. There's no way to customize their growth. In no way do these games have anything in common.

    You're trying to draw comparisons where there are none. At all. And it just sounds like you haven't actually played any of these games.

    The collecting of orbs isn't any different that getting XP. The end result of what your doing is the same thing, you get points for doing something, you unlock skills. The only difference is in Skyrim your XP goes into a level, which once full lets you raise your heath (or two other things), and pick a new skill; in, say, DMC4, you just buy stuff with those points directly. And there are skills, moves, combos, abilities, level-ups to weapons, and power-ups to different styles in DMC4...it's all pretty simple, but it's not fundamentally any different than what you're doing in Skyrim. A Devil May Cry game could have the same leveling system as Skyrim and it wouldn't really change anything about how you unlock things, and I doubt most people would say it was a RPG.

  3. #33
    Marquis de carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Belgium.
    Posts
    31,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    The collecting of orbs isn't any different that getting XP. The end result of what your doing is the same thing, you get points for doing something, you unlock skills. The only difference is in Skyrim your XP goes into a level, which once full lets you raise your heath (or two other things), and pick a new skill; in, say, DMC4, you just buy stuff with those points directly. And there are skills, moves, combos, abilities, level-ups to weapons, and power-ups to different styles in DMC4...it's all pretty simple, but it's not fundamentally any different than what you're doing in Skyrim. A Devil May Cry game could have the same leveling system as Skyrim and it wouldn't really change anything about how you unlock things, and I doubt most people would say it was a RPG.
    You still have not adequately defined the difference between an RPG and an action/adventure game.

    For me this classic gem here



    is a lot more of an action/adventure game than an RPG.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

  4. #34
    We have become death Deviates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    I'm amazed you can't see the difference between games like NG and DMC which adopt certain RPG elements to provide some extra depth to the gameplay and games like Skyrim which are designed specifically around those dynamics. Don't get me wrong, it's hardly the purest RPG ever made, but games generally don't fit neatly in to one category and this is no more true than with RPG games.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
    Douglas Adams

  5. #35
    Elder Member Wjowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deviates View Post
    I'm amazed you can't see the difference between games like NG and DMC which adopt certain RPG elements to provide some extra depth to the gameplay and games like Skyrim which are designed specifically around those dynamics. Don't get me wrong, it's hardly the purest RPG ever made, but games generally don't fit neatly in to one category and this is no more true than with RPG games.
    What exactly defines a 'pure' rpg?

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    The collecting of orbs isn't any different that getting XP. The end result of what your doing is the same thing, you get points for doing something, you unlock skills. The only difference is in Skyrim your XP goes into a level, which once full lets you raise your heath (or two other things), and pick a new skill; in, say, DMC4, you just buy stuff with those points directly.
    No, it's not the same. You can't just pick a new perk in Skyrim unless you're actually building your character in that direction. Getting perks and raising your skill are two different things. Which you'd know if you've actually played the game.

    And there are skills, moves, combos, abilities, level-ups to weapons, and power-ups to different styles in DMC4
    Linear upgrades. At the end of the game, everyone's Nero is exactly the same. If, "being exactly the same" and "fully customizable" mean the same thing to you, then I'm not sure what else I can tell you.

    it's not fundamentally any different than what you're doing in Skyrim
    Only in the very broad sense of, "you get new stuff"

    A Devil May Cry game could have the same leveling system as Skyrim and it wouldn't really change anything about how you unlock things
    No, it couldn't. If that was the case, you'd be able to actually build a character and his abilities from the ground up and potentially end up with an entirely different set of moves from another player. But you don't. If that was the case, your upgrade path in DMC wouldn't be set in stone. But it is. If that was the case, the moves you have available in DMC would depend on how you've been using your character in the past. But it's not.
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 04-07-2013 at 09:15 AM.

  7. #37
    Veteran Member Arachnid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Racoon City
    Posts
    7,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    Open exploration doesn't make an RPG, that just means the game has an open world. In-game books detailing stuff doesn't make a RPG; Resident Evil isn't a RPG, neither is Doom. I only played it for a few hours, but I didn't see any quest that could be completed in multiple ways; the quest all seemed like the same kind of linear stuff Oblivion had. You don't really build a character from the ground up in Skyrim...besides customizing the look of your character, which isn't exclusively a RPG thing.
    You customize everything about your character. Skyrim is definitely an RPG. I'd understand your complaint if it was about going from Mass Effect 1-2 or 3, but it makes o sense with Skyrim.
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

    "I have often regretted my speech, but never my silence."

  8. #38
    Rargh! Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Woo!
    Posts
    28,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wjowski View Post
    What exactly defines a 'pure' rpg?
    Was wondering the same thing, skyrim has more in common with Wizardy and Ultima than any japanese rpg did.

  9. #39
    Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    13,733

    Default

    Might as well add this video. Made by a friend about this topic, and the whole "is video games art" issue.

    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."


    - Stanisław Jerzy Lec

    http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

  10. #40
    Elder Member Wjowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Was wondering the same thing, skyrim has more in common with Wizardy and Ultima than any japanese rpg did.
    ...If Wizardry's the standard then thank god games have deviated.

  11. #41
    The Urban Prince blackdragon6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The urban empire!
    Posts
    2,272

    Default

    I thought about this topic after the last of us came out. I thought it did a excellent job of balancing out gameplay and Character drama
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboy
    is it just me, or is this forum very homosexual? Seems like it's just the norm for people here to be homosexuals. Seriously, was this community founded for that purpose? If so, I'm just dense or something cause I never read anything stating that when I signed up.
    LMAO!

    http://myspace.com/urban_prince

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •