Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 59 of 59
  1. #46
    Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    A lot of people think Frankenstein is the ugly creature, when in fact it's the name of the mad-doctor that created him. Does it even have a name other than "Frankenstein's Monster"?

    Nod: Superman.
    Yeah. Frankenstein. The mad (who isn't actually mad, at least not at first) doctor gives him his own name.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

  2. #47
    U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beyond the Dune Sea.
    Posts
    11,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    How is Superman not the most inspirational? Superman isn't my favourite DC hero but there's no denying he's the definition of "inspirational".
    My logic is as follows.

    Guys read Superman and batman but the vast majority of those who do, or who see them on movies or tv, do so as an exercise in pure escapism. They represent a concept of heroism which is good and noteworthy, but rarely do people want to grow up to be like Batman. With Superman, with all those funky powers, it is even less likely. I'm not saying it never happens, but comparatively it is rare.

    The comparison do course being Wonder Woman. WW represents something beyond superheroics - girls and women can't aspire to juggle elephants or deflect bullets with bracelets but they CAN be independent and self actualising. They can stand as equals to men and not look at themselves as second class citizens or accept treatment as such. They can see value in themselves beyond who they are married to. These were all big issues when WW was first published and in many ways they still are.

    Ms Magazine put Wonder Woman on their very first cover as a statement about gender equality. I think that is a note of distinction.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”


  3. #48
    The Mad Artist RMAN63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bermuda Triangle
    Posts
    3,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    Nice - I particularly love the tiara on the windshield - lol. :)
    I think that is great! Maybe DC should buy the car, and park it right on their lobby!! I'd say I want it for myself but I think it'd be a shame to take it on the road and ruin it!

  4. #49
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I think we must try another exercise. What would happen if in the future Justice League they put Catwoman , Robin,Aquaman or Green Lantern instead of Wonder Woman ? I think we would show clearly our feelings about a decisition like that.

  5. #50
    Guardian of Love Sailor Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    200

    Default

    This topic seems to pop up here and again. I've never understood why people can't wrap around their head around what it means to be iconic. It really has little to do with current popularity or place in continuity, it's always been about recognizably and place in pop culture mindset/consciousness. Deadpool was pretty popular a year or two back, but I doubt 90% of people outside comicdom really know who he is. I think sometimes it shows just how disconnected some of us comic readers are to the outside world, in a way. That probably sounds mean, but this kind of basic idea and knowledge makes me think that sometimes.
    Last edited by Sailor Moon; 04-05-2013 at 08:42 AM.

  6. #51
    Tantu Terrific! Stanlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dangleo61288 View Post
    I say No. I would say she is equal with Aguaman and below GL , Superman, Batman as far as superheroes go.
    I think there is certainly a large contingent of the relatively small comics buying public that actually views things just that way and would really like it if WW would just go be someone's girlfriend in the traditional sense or just go away.

    However, I do not think that general public knows who GL is. Outside of a purely comics oriented environment I rarely encounter GL. But in high school, college, and even the work force Wonder Woman, Superman, and Batman have been encountered. The only other superhero that I have encountered even close to the frequency of the others is Captain Marvel (a testament to that character's viability given the lackluster handling in the comics). A humanities professor used him in his lecture which was very interesting.

    I do think WW, like the other two, is in jeopardy in terms of longevity at the moment. I wonder what DC will do now that the stunts they pulled with Fawcett back in the day are decidedly less viable today.

  7. #52
    Senior Member Zagreus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    My logic is as follows.

    Guys read Superman and batman but the vast majority of those who do, or who see them on movies or tv, do so as an exercise in pure escapism. They represent a concept of heroism which is good and noteworthy, but rarely do people want to grow up to be like Batman. With Superman, with all those funky powers, it is even less likely. I'm not saying it never happens, but comparatively it is rare.

    The comparison do course being Wonder Woman. WW represents something beyond superheroics - girls and women can't aspire to juggle elephants or deflect bullets with bracelets but they CAN be independent and self actualising. They can stand as equals to men and not look at themselves as second class citizens or accept treatment as such. They can see value in themselves beyond who they are married to. These were all big issues when WW was first published and in many ways they still are.

    Ms Magazine put Wonder Woman on their very first cover as a statement about gender equality. I think that is a note of distinction.
    Superman can be about hidden strength and power despite a "mild mannered" exterior. Batman can be about a normal man's ability to accomplish the extraordinary. This has inspired many, and many people have these icons tattooed on the person- same as wonder woman, as icons of personal strength. Not all these people are super comic fans, but fans of the icon and what it represents. I don't think one is more inspirational than the other. Of course here on the WW board this is not likely to be a popular opinion... hehe.

  8. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    Superman can be about hidden strength and power despite a "mild mannered" exterior. Batman can be about a normal man's ability to accomplish the extraordinary. This has inspired many, and many people have these icons tattooed on the person- same as wonder woman, as icons of personal strength. Not all these people are super comic fans, but fans of the icon and what it represents. I don't think one is more inspirational than the other. Of course here on the WW board this is not likely to be a popular opinion... hehe.
    I'm fine with your opinion, Zagreus. I think we all find inspiration in different sources, and different characters speak differently to different folks. Superman and Batman certainly have inspired many over the years.

    Although I do think there's arguably some difference at play here. Straight, white men in America were and are the dominate social class that has had so much media attention and given many heroes - just look at our superhero movies of the past ten years. At the time of WW's creation, women were still very much second-class citizens.

    So I'm wondering - while many characters, particularly the heroic ones, can and do inspire, is it really the same?

    In any case - they're all iconic. :)
    Last edited by americanwonder; 04-05-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

  9. #54
    U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beyond the Dune Sea.
    Posts
    11,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    Superman can be about hidden strength and power despite a "mild mannered" exterior. Batman can be about a normal man's ability to accomplish the extraordinary. This has inspired many, and many people have these icons tattooed on the person- same as wonder woman, as icons of personal strength. Not all these people are super comic fans, but fans of the icon and what it represents. I don't think one is more inspirational than the other. Of course here on the WW board this is not likely to be a popular opinion... hehe.
    I'm sure Supes and Bats have been inspirational to a lot of people, and said so. But considering women have been and in many places are more oppressed than men I think WW is more inspirational as a pop culture icon.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”


  10. #55
    Power Corrupts Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    16,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dangleo61288 View Post
    I say No. I would say she is equal with Aguaman and below GL , Superman, Batman as far as superheroes go. She has been out of the public eye since the 70's and any project related to her stalls so this hurts her standing. And for female characters, Lois Lane and Catwoman are more iconic. They are both consistently in the public eye. And have been around longer and have had more appearences in comics.
    As far as te public goes I don't think Green Lantern is as iconic.

    It goes Batman or Superman, than Robin or Wonder Woman than Aquaman


  11. #56
    New Member Vexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Wonder Woman is easily more iconic than Robin. What average person out there wouldn't recognise her emblem? I think it's silly to say that Robin is more iconic. He's obviously very well known, but to say he's more iconic? Please.

    I'd say that Catwoman would definitely be in the top five. Probably along with Flash.
    Polaris|White Queen|Rachel Grey|Psylocke|Frenzy|Danger|Wolfsbane

  12. #57
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
    Wonder Woman is easily more iconic than Robin. What average person out there wouldn't recognise her emblem? I think it's silly to say that Robin is more iconic. He's obviously very well known, but to say he's more iconic? Please.

    I'd say that Catwoman would definitely be in the top five. Probably along with Flash.
    Robin is more iconic. Batman is more popular than Wonder Woman with the general public. You have Robin as an integral part of the mythos. He is better known because he had more exposure.

    I would put the Joker above them both though, with Batman 1989 and The Dark Knight responsible for his imprinting on the public mind.

  13. #58
    Senior Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,690

    Default

    People might not know a damn about the character, but at least they know who she is and what she looks like, which means a helluva lot as far as comic book characters go. That, in part, explains why Wonder Woman's a pretty popular Halloween costume. Plus, the words "Wonder Woman" actually means something. If you call someone a "Wonder Woman," everyone knows exactly what you mean. How many Big Two comic book characters can you say that about? Not including sidekicks and family, probably Superman, Batman, Spider-man, and Hulk; the others would need context or interpretation.

  14. #59

    Default

    Yea, I think so. The news coverage of her kissing Superman would point in that direction.
    Batgirl, Superman/Wonder Woman, Detective Comics, Worlds Finest, Batman/Superman, The Movement, Astro City, Kick Ass 3, Miracle Man, Nightcrawler, Red Sonja, The Star Wars, Sandman: Overture, The Maxx

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •