Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 59
  1. #1
    The Great Curator Mr. Mastermind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Neither here nor there
    Posts
    4,540

    Default Is Wonder Woman The Third Most Iconic DC Character?

    Do you think there is any DC characters more popular than Wonder Woman outside the Trinity? I think Robin is a lot more popular and iconic in the public eye. Do you think DC will ever have the audacity to remove Wonder Woman from the Trinity?

  2. #2
    Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Not_Troller View Post
    Do you think there is any DC characters more popular than Wonder Woman outside the Trinity? I think Robin is a lot more popular and iconic in the public eye. Do you think DC will ever have the audacity to remove Wonder Woman from the Trinity?
    Not to replace her with Robin, no. Robin, while probably at least as iconic, is too derivative of Batman.
    At the very least, Wonder Woman is the third more iconic Dc character that hasn't been created as the supporting cast of another character. The argument could be made that people like Lois, Catwoman, or Robin are as iconic as her, I suppose.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

  3. #3
    Senior Member SNascimento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,696

    Default

    Yes, Wonder Woman has a icon status that only Batman and Superman have. No other DC character is a symbol like them.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Seant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    PBS is airing a documentary about Wonder Woman next month. Could you imagine one about any other character besides Batman or Superman having a documentary on PBS? Robin? I doubt it.

  5. #5
    Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seant View Post
    PBS is airing a documentary about Wonder Woman next month. Could you imagine one about any other character besides Batman or Superman having a documentary on PBS? Robin? I doubt it.
    Robin would be part of Batman's doc. Doesn't change the fact everybody knows who Robin is.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

  6. #6

    Default

    Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman all survived the Golden Age of Comics and have existed pretty much in their original forms since that time. Green Lantern, Flash, Hawkman, Atom -- they all were re-conceived and reinvented in the Silver Age and are not the same characters they were in the Golden Age. The original GA versions of those characters had ceased to exist until they were revived during the Silver Age.

    This is the reason that Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are the Trinity of DC Comics.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heroid View Post
    Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman all survived the Golden Age of Comics and have existed pretty much in their original forms since that time. Green Lantern, Flash, Hawkman, Atom -- they all were re-conceived and reinvented in the Silver Age and are not the same characters they were in the Golden Age. The original GA versions of those characters had ceased to exist until they were revived during the Silver Age.

    This is the reason that Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are the Trinity of DC Comics.
    Well said, Heroid. Robin is certainly a well-known and important part of DC's history. He is iconic. But the "Trinity" (like it or not) is an acknowledgement of DC's own publishing history (not the fictional history that they reboot). It's not a current popularlity poll. So it doesn't get changed.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

  8. #8
    Moderate Moderator Javier Velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Robin will forever be "& Robin" in the publics eye.
    I think that for the general public Robin is iconic because of his "sidekick" status. And as such you are dealing much more with Silver Age design Dick Grayson with the Peter Pan booties.

    If you are making a case for Robin's inclusion as far as iconic characters, then rather than say that he should replace Diana, the argument should be that he has the same status and therefore the trinity should be a quartet. However, the latest Batman mythos (in movies like Dark Knight and cartoons like Brave and Bold), have pretty much worked against that.

  9. #9
    The Great Curator Mr. Mastermind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Neither here nor there
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seant View Post
    PBS is airing a documentary about Wonder Woman next month. Could you imagine one about any other character besides Batman or Superman having a documentary on PBS? Robin? I doubt it.
    heh in a case study on the Big Picture. Bob Chipman did 1 video on Wonder Woman which was basically "Hey look at Marston's stuff and how weird it was! But gives two shits about the rest." and a three parter on Supergirl and a 2 parter on Ms Marvel and Green Lantern with a whole load of Spider-Man ones and X-Men one.

    For those of you who were wondering:

    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...he-big-picture

    and his Wonder Woman specific one: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...rld-Is-Waiting

    And just as much attention to as Robin: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...6191-Sidekicks

    I think Lois Lane is also just as well known as Wonder Woman IMO.
    Last edited by Mr. Mastermind; 03-16-2013 at 02:47 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Seant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Yeah, but which is more iconic, the Big Picture (which I've never heard of) or PBS? Wonder Woman might not be as beloved to the average comic fan, but when it comes to the REAL big picture, ie, popular culture, Wonder Woman is really big. You ask any woman her favorite superheroine, they would either say Wonder Woman or have to say "not Wonder Woman." Because to the average person, she's basically it.

    Robin would be part of the Batman doc, certainly, but he wouldn't have his own doc.

  11. #11
    The Great Curator Mr. Mastermind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Neither here nor there
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    Robin is just as big. If you ask anyone "who's your favourite sidekick" they will answer Robin or "not Robin". Ask someone who their favourite superhero girlfriend and they will say "Lois Lane". Those two might be supporting characters but most people only know about Wonder Woman from the costume and the TV show whislt they can tell you about what Lois Lane's job is and where Robin lives. They know little about Wonder Woman in terms of character and status quo.

  12. #12
    Moderate Moderator Javier Velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Not_Troller View Post
    I think Lois Lane is also just as well known as Wonder Woman IMO.
    But it is one thing to be well known and another to be iconographic.

    Icons have to do with imagery. There is a reason that there aren't as many Lois Lane underoos as there are WW ones. There IS an iconic Lois Lane, but she wears a pillbox hat, a jacket, pencil skirt, and pumps. Apart from gay gifts shops, you aren't going to see her anywhere.

    WW on a t-shirt is instantly recognizable and unmistakeable.

    Lois Lane on a t-shirt could be Marlo Thomas or a flight attendant from Mad Men... unless she is being carried by Superman.

  13. #13
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Not_Troller View Post
    heh in a case study on the Big Picture. Bob Chipman did 1 video on Wonder Woman which was basically "Hey look at Marston's stuff and how weird it was! But gives two shits about the rest." and a three parter on Supergirl and a 2 parter on Ms Marvel and Green Lantern with a whole load of Spider-Man ones and X-Men one.

    For those of you who were wondering:

    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...he-big-picture

    and his Wonder Woman specific one: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...rld-Is-Waiting

    And just as much attention to as Robin: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...6191-Sidekicks
    Chipman only gives his own personal perspective on all things geek, it is by his own admission no indication of anything other than him speaking his mind about a subject.
    He covered Wonder Woman because, like us, he doesnt get why she hasn't gotten a movie yet and decided to display some of the early weirdness of the character to display for people who don't know that much about her why it's odd she doesn't have a movie yet.
    Ms. Marvel got several episodes because A) she's the only Marvel Comics character with the Marvel name to actually matter to the readers and B) she was the victim of a monumental crime by the Avengers-writers and how Claremont got back at it (like CBR highligted how a former WW-editor was assassinated on page for no reason 'How WW stopped being Mod'). C) It was one of the early 'Women in Refigerators' moments that really galvanised people like Carol Strickland into action in this field (not sure how much into comics she was before this).
    GL and Supergirl got all their episodes because of all the twists and turns their printed careers had taken over the years and the reactions they caused, like H.E.A.T. (Oh and the Green Lantern movie was probably Bob's least liked movie he reviewed around the same time).

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Not_Troller View Post
    I think Lois Lane is also just as well known as Wonder Woman IMO.
    Lois Lane is only so well known because she is the damsel Superman has to rescue in every other cartoon he is in. She could be an icon on her own, as she is strong willed, intelligent, ambitious and capable in every ordinary situation (a fictional Nellie Bly)... but that tends to be forgotten since it always comes down to Superman getting her out of trouble.
    Last edited by Outside_85; 03-16-2013 at 03:43 PM.

  14. #14
    evil maybe, genius no stk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,664

    Default

    Wonder Woman is EASILY the third most iconic DC character.

  15. #15

    Default

    I say No. I would say she is equal with Aguaman and below GL , Superman, Batman as far as superheroes go. She has been out of the public eye since the 70's and any project related to her stalls so this hurts her standing. And for female characters, Lois Lane and Catwoman are more iconic. They are both consistently in the public eye. And have been around longer and have had more appearences in comics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •