Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    The Great Curator Mr. Mastermind's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    Enough to warrant claiming he could support his own title?
    Spoken like a fool who hasn't read (the Eisner winning) Gotham Central. A Gordon ongoing in that style could easily work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Guest star since 1969.

Guest star since 2004.

Guest star since 2004.

Guest star since 1992.

Guest star since 2006.

Guest star since 1968.

Guest star since 1999.

Guest star since 2006.

Guest star since 1958.

Guest star since 2006.

Yeah, give me a real supporting cast. Not guest superheroes. Superman has at least more than costumed guest stars.

Jimmy Olsen

Lois Lane

Perry White

Morgan Edge

General Sam Lane

Commissioner Corporon

Lieutenant Casey

Mayor Morrisroe

Heather Kelley

Dr. Veritas

William McCoy

That's a supporting cast. They may not have appeared with regularly since the DCnU began, but they are there waiting to be utilized. Batman hasn't had an actual supporting cast since "No Man's Land" ended and GCPD came about. Characters like Leslie Thompkins and Lucius Fox have been drifting in and out of the books. When GCPD ended, all of the cops save for Bullock were retained and he only appears every so often. There hasn't been a long term mayor since Marion Grange was killed. You had Michael Atkins, but he was never developed and then shuffled off to limbo. Others only last for the duration of a storyline and then are out of the books.
    a. Since when did being a superhero not make you a supporting cast member? That's a ridiculous claim. What about colorful costumes means you can't be a supporting cast member?

b. Being in a spin off title does not mean you aren't a supporting cast member. You might be a character in your own right but you are still part of a supporting cast. We just had a Batman story about whether the Batfamily helped or hindered him and Batamn's conclusion was that they supported him.

c. By your definition of solo books not making you a supporting cast member, Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen are not included.

d. Since when did Damian become get a solo title? As a hardcore Damian fan I missed this. He's only appeared with Batman in a Batman title.

e. Your list is pretty shit. Boring and forgettable characters, the only two of those that go up to Alfred and Gordon are disqualified with point c of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Not_Troller View Post
    Spoken like a fool who hasn't read (the Eisner winning) Gotham Central. A Gordon ongoing in that style could easily work.
    A fool would have claimed she knew the answer to the question I posed, and not asked at all. What I did, however, was to ask a question that didn't presume any knowledge at all. Still, regardless of how well-received Gotham Central was at the time, it does not exist now. So there must have been something about the book that ultimately was deemed unworthy to justify its cancellation.
    "I love that she’s human. You need that juxtaposed to the perfection of Superman. [Lois] has this absolute loyalty for what is good and just, and it parallels what Superman is." – Erica Durance

This year we finally getting more Superman titles. And they really need to give us something slightly different because it will be reading the same darn thing all around. So while Superman or Action can develop those we know or are being introduced to...they need to try to start expanding at some point or having other titles explore different things. It isn't going to help when you get some fans griping that they snubbing Lois with every title for example. Because she does not need to be in all of them frankly. But you will get that and that is sometimes the downfall of the Superman in recent times. His myth use to wide and expansive and now it's locked into one city and some people want it locked into a few characters all the time. All the titles do not have to be that all the time.

Grant's run on Batman and with Inc as well was productive unlike Superman stories pre flashpoint because we ended up in a reboot for him. I know DC tried with the New Krypton stuff but it was badly executed because of the baggage the character had. Now with a reboot, they need to keep building. Perez's initial supporting cast lets face it were not all that because once again it was all Daily Planet people some who were entirely forgettable like Heather and Miko and some faces i could barely recall etc. We have to thank Lobdell for Dr Veritas and Oracle and H'el and going to Krypton because you can see potential there. I want to see more Steel. Edge is a good character too.

But coming back to the regulars, Lois and Jimmy and Perry are long time and well known and Cat Grant and Steve Lombard (he is around I think) are successful examples of expanding cast because they brought and the fact they around today says a lot. So does Clark have interesting contacts re his stories? Friends at the police station/courts? Lana?Pete? His scientist contacts. Then we have possible off world characters too. I bet Lobdell can bring stuff with CK leaving the Planet and blogging plot. People like to bad mouth Lobdell but he's clearly using avenues to explore and expand by not sticking to same old same old while people like Snyder sound like (could be wrong) working with the regular cast that we know and just dragging in a new villain.

Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thepenguin View Post
    This year we finally getting more Superman titles. And they really need to give us something slightly different because it will be reading the same darn thing all around. So while Superman or Action can develop those we know or are being introduced to...they need to try to start expanding at some point or having other titles explore different things. It isn't going to help when you get some fans griping that they snubbing Lois with every title for example. Because she does not need to be in all of them frankly. But you will get that and that is sometimes the downfall of the Superman in recent times. His myth use to wide and expansive and now it's locked into one city and some people want it locked into a few characters all the time. All the titles do not have to be that all the time.

Grant's run on Batman and with Inc as well was productive unlike Superman stories pre flashpoint because we ended up in a reboot for him. I know DC tried with the New Krypton stuff but it was badly executed because of the baggage the character had. Now with a reboot, they need to keep building. Perez's initial supporting cast lets face it were not all that because once again it was all Daily Planet people some who were entirely forgettable like Heather and Miko and some faces i could barely recall etc. We have to thank Lobdell for Dr Veritas and Oracle and H'el and going to Krypton because you can see potential there. I want to see more Steel. Edge is a good character too.

But coming back to the regulars, Lois and Jimmy and Perry are long time and well known and Cat Grant and Steve Lombard (he is around I think) are successful examples of expanding cast because they brought and the fact they around today says a lot. So does Clark have interesting contacts re his stories? Friends at the police station/courts? Lana?Pete? His scientist contacts. Then we have possible off world characters too. I bet Lobdell can bring stuff with CK leaving the Planet and blogging plot. People like to bad mouth Lobdell but he's clearly using avenues to explore and expand by not sticking to same old same old while people like Snyder sound like (could be wrong) working with the regular cast that we know and just dragging in a new villain.
    I suppose that's the thing. We don't need that much supporting cast in the Planet. Those we already have are enough. What we need is other members of the cast that would develop others aspects of his life. The scientist contact is basically covered by Veritas. I would like to know what happened to Lana and Pete, come to think of it. Perhaps Bibbo could do the whole "contact" thing.
    Honestly, I like the idea of Superman being friend with aliens on another planet, and then popping up once in a while. Or just him knowing people out of Metropolis and Smallville in general (I always had this idea of Superman being friend with some Tibetan monk, perhaps one who would have powers, but would use them in a non violent way, with Superman helping him from time to time).
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

A fool would have claimed she knew the answer to the question I posed, and not asked at all. What I did, however, was to ask a question that didn't presume any knowledge at all. Still, regardless of how well-received Gotham Central was at the time, it does not exist now. So there must have been something about the book that ultimately was deemed unworthy to justify its cancellation.
    ugh.
    just admit when you didn't have the information instead of trying to remain right. "oh yeah, i never read gotham central. people seem to dig that."
    very easy.

Because Greg Rucka chose to end it. Another capable writer could take the premise and carry it on with more of a focus on Jim Gordon.

Superman's supporting cast could use some expansion. Metropolis gets boring. Have him deal with more space stuff IN SPACE. Not Metropolis.
    Last edited by Mr. Mastermind; 03-16-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    I suppose that's the thing. We don't need that much supporting cast in the Planet. Those we already have are enough. What we need is other members of the cast that would develop others aspects of his life. The scientist contact is basically covered by Veritas. I would like to know what happened to Lana and Pete, come to think of it. Perhaps Bibbo could do the whole "contact" thing.
    Honestly, I like the idea of Superman being friend with aliens on another planet, and then popping up once in a while. Or just him knowing people out of Metropolis and Smallville in general (I always had this idea of Superman being friend with some Tibetan monk, perhaps one who would have powers, but would use them in a non violent way, with Superman helping him from time to time).
    I agree. The characters that we have right now couldn't possibly help explore all aspect of Superman--Lois couldn't help explore his alien side or his superhero side. I also if would be wasteful if all these books only focused on just his his city cast. This is how you can get in new characters--more than one book.

right. and since work on the current characters isn't something that is going to reach a state of "finished", there's no point in waiting to introduce some new blood. this is as good a time as any.

Quote Originally Posted by direction9 View Post
    ugh.
    just admit when you didn't have the information instead of trying to remain right. "oh yeah, i never read gotham central. people seem to dig that."
    very easy.
    Ugh. You do realize the whole point of asking a question is because one doesn't know the answer, right? I asked a question. I did not make any statement of fact. Please, learn the difference before your next misguided personal attack. Thanks.

Because Greg Rucka chose to end it. Another capable writer could take the premise and carry it on with more of a focus on Jim Gordon.
    If anyone at DC was interested in a such a thing, it would have been done already.
    "I love that she’s human. You need that juxtaposed to the perfection of Superman. [Lois] has this absolute loyalty for what is good and just, and it parallels what Superman is." – Erica Durance

Ugh. You do realize the whole point of asking a question is because one doesn't know the answer, right? I asked a question. I did not make any statement of fact. Please, learn the difference before your next misguided personal attack. Thanks.
    then you responded by saying "still, i'm pretty much right"

If anyone at DC was interested in a such a thing, it would have been done already.
    and you're still doing it. someone at dc being interested isn't really the only factor in getting a book out. no.

DC have pimped out the Batfranchise and a Jim Gordon book would sell decently, the Batfranchsie still has heavier hitters to roll out. Coming from someone who hates the character, I have to admit that Tim Drake is still incredibly popular and a solo book would sell well but DC haven't gotten round to it yet (probably because Drake is the reason 99% of the reason people buy Teen Titans). A Spoiler Black Bat team up book would also receive incredible hype and some good sales.

So yes, DC aren't interested in Gordon but that's because it would probably be a modest hit in a line of mega hits.

You got a point Batman's world is just so damn marketable and all those books would sell well.

DC have pimped out the Batfranchise and a Jim Gordon book would sell decently, the Batfranchsie still has heavier hitters to roll out. Coming from someone who hates the character, I have to admit that Tim Drake is still incredibly popular and a solo book would sell well but DC haven't gotten round to it yet (probably because Drake is the reason 99% of the reason people buy Teen Titans). A Spoiler Black Bat team up book would also receive incredible hype and some good sales.

So yes, DC aren't interested in Gordon but that's because it would probably be a modest hit in a line of mega hits.
    they should combine the two. put tim on the force with gordon, take him very seriously instead of this red robin/titans costume thing. go noir with it.
    license to print money.

Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I agree. The characters that we have right now couldn't possibly help explore all aspect of Superman--Lois couldn't help explore his alien side or his superhero side. I also if would be wasteful if all these books only focused on just his his city cast. This is how you can get in new characters--more than one book.
    Agree with that. I think it would also help Superman's credibility in general to have him be a little bit more.....international. I mean, the guy can fly around Earth in a matter of minutes, yet he never seems to leave Metropolis, or only to go to his Fortress. never made sense to me.
    I remember back when the New 52 started, there was a guy who expressed his disapointment about the fact Superman wasn't doing stuff like preventing pirates from raiding ships in Asia or Africa. And if you think about it, there's no problem with that. There's nothing controversial about fighting pirates. They're not sovereing states, there's nothing political about them, they're basically bank robbers who've chosen to attack ships instead of banks. So, really, why not? Have him open an issue by preventing a ship to be raided, or helping an NGO to bring food in a starving country, help John Henry with his international thing . Nothing Authority like or anything, just have him care a bit more about the rest of the planet. And that way, you can have him interract with people around the world. Win-win situation.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Cavilling Metropolitan Self-DCeit's Avatar

This is rather peculiar, isn't it? We just get an interview with some of this industry's top talent letting us know all the good stuff that's in store for Superman this year, and we react by discussing the Bat-hegemony? Let us ring the bells, shake those critters off the belfry and prepare to enjoy the super-extravaganza come June, why don't we?

I see you've already started making new friends with that congenial attitude of yours, misslane.