Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Parnell View Post
    Bottom line is I have a very abcessed molar. Root canal is scheduled for Monday but I have heard so many different things. Has anyone had a root canal? I am all about saving teeth but the tooth is pretty decayed and the cost even with benefits when all is said and done will be 1000. The worst part is I just had a crown out on the tooth that is abcessed. Needless to say the pain is excruciating.
    Hi, my wife is in the Dental business. She said that pulling the tooth would/should be less expensive. However, once the tooth is gone, you might have bigger problems down the road. If it is a molar, obviously that is a major chewing tooth. With the tooth gone, you might have trouble chewing, which would lead you to overwork the other side. That could lead to a broken tooth, cavities etc. Also, after the tooth is removed your remaining teeth will start to shift possibly costing more money down the road.

If the tooth is abcessed, see if you can take antibiotics before the root canal, which you should already be doing. This will remove the infection but will not get rid of the cause. If the infection is gone, then you should be able to get numb. Most people with bad experiences with root canals is caused by infection. The face gets swollen and the anesthesia is basically eaten by the infection. My wife said that she would prefer the root canal. I hope this was useful.

Quote Originally Posted by spqr75 View Post
    Hi, my wife is in the Dental business. She said that pulling the tooth would/should be less expensive. However, once the tooth is gone, you might have bigger problems down the road. If it is a molar, obviously that is a major chewing tooth. With the tooth gone, you might have trouble chewing, which would lead you to overwork the other side. That could lead to a broken tooth, cavities etc. Also, after the tooth is removed your remaining teeth will start to shift possibly costing more money down the road.

If the tooth is abcessed, see if you can take antibiotics before the root canal, which you should already be doing. This will remove the infection but will not get rid of the cause. If the infection is gone, then you should be able to get numb. Most people with bad experiences with root canals is caused by infection. The face gets swollen and the anesthesia is basically eaten by the infection. My wife said that she would prefer the root canal. I hope this was useful.
    Trust me the last thing I wanted to do was pull the tooth out but as of 30 minutes ago it was yanked and it was yanked with ease. This was a big molar, it should have cracked but it slid out with little pull from the Dentist. The tooth was not a healthy tooth at all and all the root canal would have done was delay the inevitable.

The money wasn't the issue as I know I will have to spend on a bridge or a veneer but at the end of the day it came down to getting rid of something that was for all intents and purposes dead.

Needless to say it has been a nightmare and I am glad it is all finally over!!