Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    410

    Default Need advice, root canal vs pulling the tooth

    Bottom line is I have a very abcessed molar. Root canal is scheduled for Monday but I have heard so many different things. Has anyone had a root canal? I am all about saving teeth but the tooth is pretty decayed and the cost even with benefits when all is said and done will be 1000. The worst part is I just had a crown out on the tooth that is abcessed. Needless to say the pain is excruciating.

  2. #2

    Default

    I had a tooth pulled because I couldn't afford a root canal.

    It wasn't that painful and after a couple of weeks your gums toughen up and you hardly notice it.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

  3. #3
    Hater of the Year The Zapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cobra Island
    Posts
    10,565

    Default

    Root canals aren't nearly as bad as they used to be. The cost sucks, but it's not as painful with today's modern dental medicine.
    Everything burns...

  4. #4
    Renegade of Funk HessTheMess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    356

    Default

    I was in a similar situation and decided to just get it yanked out. That way there can't be any more problems with it at least.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Toreador's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    I had a similar option given to me by my dentist. Dentist told me that with the root canal the tooth could be saved for for a few years unless I take better care of it or it could be pulled and that would be that. I chose the root canal, it wasn't that painful (hardly any at all with the local). And the procedure was fairly quick.

    Do you have any insurance to reduce the cost?
    In search of Claire...or Libby Hoeler :D

    "What is illness to the body of a knight-errant? What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again, and woe to the wicked.
    "

  6. #6
    In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    13,410

    Default

    I got four teeth knocked out about 25 years ago while playing basketball. I had braces and the teeth stayed attached to the braces, they just got ripped from the gums and were twisted upside down dangling on the brackets. Anyway, because of the braces they were able to reset the teeth in my mouth and use the braces to help anchor them there. Once they were re-rooted I had to have root canals on all four of them. It wasn't painful, it was just tediously uncomfortable holding my mouth open for hours while they drilled, poked, prodded, etc. I still have the teeth , even though the dentist figured at best they'd last ten years.

    Point is, I didn't find it that painful. I know many freak out over dentistry but the actual procedure didn't hurt. It just was freaky, boring, and uncomfortable because of the hours of drilling, grinding, poking, drilling, etc.

  7. #7
    They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    31,140

    Default

    What I can't believe is that they charge 1000 bucks for it. I went through the root canal treatment a couple of years ago... It didn't seem all that complex to me. X-Ray, opening the tooth, 45 minutes work with those tiny plungers, temporary filling, second appointment with the permanent filling.
    My blog.

    We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

    Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

  8. #8
    Mattress Tester T Hedge Coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    www.futureearthmagazine.com
    Posts
    10,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Zapper View Post
    Root canals aren't nearly as bad as they used to be. The cost sucks, but it's not as painful with today's modern dental medicine.
    This. Very much so.

    That said, I'm going in the morning to get an extraction of a failed root canal. I had the root canal done in the US and they botched it, were horrible to me otherwise, and I said [variety of expletives]. Getting it pulled in China, instead, for considerably less money, by a much nicer dentist, in a much friendlier office.

    If you can keep it, my advice is to fight to keep it. But when the pros say it's too far gone or better if you lose it, you can always grow more teeth. Okeh, you can't. But you can chew with the other ones.

  9. #9
    Nyah! Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoo MI/Millennium City MI
    Posts
    33,390

    Default

    Others will disagree, but I consider root canals a scam. "Save the tooth"? First thing they do is pull the nerve. Save the tooth's skeleton, maybe. They'll cap it, but I've heard time and time again of people's caps having to be replaced in just a few years, and eventually it's coming out anyway. I'd opt for just yanking it and replacing it prosthetically, if necessary. Your money's going to a longer term solution that you'll probably be aiming at eventually in any case.

    But, a warning in who's talking. A combo of genetics and bad dental hygiene rotted out my teeth and I had them ALL pulled. So, take my advice with the proverbial grain of salt.
    'Dox out.

    "But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

    "Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

    "And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega


    Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

  10. #10
    Nyah! Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoo MI/Millennium City MI
    Posts
    33,390

    Default

    the4thpip sees the cash:

    What I can't believe is that they charge 1000 bucks for it. I went through the root canal treatment a couple of years ago... It didn't seem all that complex to me. X-Ray, opening the tooth, 45 minutes work with those tiny plungers, temporary filling, second appointment with the permanent filling.
    I had an appointment one day to get a casting. The next day I had all my rotted teeth pulled and denture plates installed and went home. It was an extra $200 to get it done that fast, bringing the total to $800. ¡VIVA MÉXICO!

    If I'd done it here it would have been about $5000 and take about a year.
    'Dox out.

    "But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

    "Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

    "And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega


    Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Thanks everyone! After looking at all of my options I have decided to have the tooth pulled on Monday. My biggest deciding factor was the fact that there really wasn't enough tooth worth saving so there was no point to go through a root canal, filling and crown to find out it didn't work. I do have insurance but was still looking at a personal cost of 1000. My dentist is actually footing the entire bill as the abcess was something they should have caught when the crown was installed last month.

    Needless to say it has been a nightmare and I can't wait for the tooth to be yanked!!

  12. #12
    Hell yeah! Kees_L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    7,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Others will disagree, but I consider root canals a scam. "Save the tooth"? First thing they do is pull the nerve. Save the tooth's skeleton, maybe. They'll cap it, but I've heard time and time again of people's caps having to be replaced in just a few years, and eventually it's coming out anyway. I'd opt for just yanking it and replacing it prosthetically, if necessary. Your money's going to a longer term solution that you'll probably be aiming at eventually in any case.

    But, a warning in who's talking. A combo of genetics and bad dental hygiene rotted out my teeth and I had them ALL pulled. So, take my advice with the proverbial grain of salt.
    I won't be an expert neither since I'll have always been a goody-two-shoes both as blessed concerning my teeth, since I got braces between my 14th up to my 16th, two promising years without gumballs and the most unpromiscuous liplocking action I will never be getting back! I have one filling, a ceramic one, dating from 2001 or such, the day I cried for Angels burning.

    I'd think the idea of root canal or for most any kind of crowns or prosthetics to prove installable, is how one would need some hint of actually living root and teeth, especially for outside molers/molars/maulers or hook fangs. Otherwise there would exist no foundation for slapping or clamping any prosthetics onto?

    For any fiddling or killing off the nerves the risk would arise that stuff would rot from underneath only the more however, since a bare or crumbled tooth would be more vulnerable than just a healthy one, plus the nerve would kinda be its own alarm-system provided it would still channel hurt and such?

    Damn, I better go brush my teeth.

    Oh and good luck threadstarter! I think you're gonna be okay.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 03-16-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

  13. #13
    I'm a male DebkoX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    17,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Parnell View Post
    Thanks everyone! After looking at all of my options I have decided to have the tooth pulled on Monday. My biggest deciding factor was the fact that there really wasn't enough tooth worth saving so there was no point to go through a root canal, filling and crown to find out it didn't work. I do have insurance but was still looking at a personal cost of 1000. My dentist is actually footing the entire bill as the abcess was something they should have caught when the crown was installed last month.

    Needless to say it has been a nightmare and I can't wait for the tooth to be yanked!!
    Good luck!
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

  14. #14
    Elder Member Winslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Posts
    13,672

    Default

    Yeah, good luck, mark.

    When they pull a tooth, do they give you some sort of retainer to keep your teeth from moving around? Edit: A little "googling" indicates dentists often create a bridge).

    I've never had a root canal or cap, but molar just broke in two last week from an old amalgam filling (which I am told is common). The dentist wants to cap it since the roots are fine, but I am looking at $1k to do that. I am tempted to roll the dice with the "temp filling" they reconstructed the tooth with.
    Last edited by Winslow; 03-16-2013 at 01:30 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Toreador's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    Yeah, good luck, mark.

    When they pull a tooth, do they give you some sort of retainer to keep your teeth from moving around? Edit: A little "googling" indicates dentists often create a bridge).

    I've never had a root canal or cap, but molar just broke in two last week from an old amalgam filling (which I am told is common). The dentist wants to cap it since the roots are fine, but I am looking at $1k to do that. I am tempted to roll the dice with the "temp filling" they reconstructed the tooth with.
    Could try some home remedies. Black walnut tincture and comfrey root powder are supposed to help restore the tooth.
    In search of Claire...or Libby Hoeler :D

    "What is illness to the body of a knight-errant? What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again, and woe to the wicked.
    "

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •