Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Home made ectoplasm View Post
    Oh really? Might give this a go in that case.
    I was surprised how much I enjoyed it tbh
    Ranking the Periods of X-Men History
    X-Book Marvel NOW Timeline
    X-Poster of the Month: April 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

I thought this was a decent issue. Nothing too spectacular or groundbreaking. It was the kind of story where Wolverine had to play hero in a way that only he could, having to stop a man and a kid that had been clearly possessed by some kind of outside force. He got roughed up and ended up naked at one point, which is always a fun part of any Wolverine story. It wasn't quite as action packed as Savage Wolverine, but overall it was still a solid book. I don't think it warranted a new #1, but given how many Marvel and DC has released lately I really don't think a new #1 has the same impact it used to. But that's just my opinion. If you're a Wolverine fan, I think there are plenty of reasons to like this book.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Retired

I decided to pick this up on a whim. It was a perfectly enjoyable start to the series with a definite Claremontian influence. The art would have been much better serviced by a different colourist. Davis isn't my personal favourite, but he wasn't issue, the lack of contrast was (compare this with his pages from Schism, or Thor). I'm unlikely to stick around, but my interest has been piqued. I'll need some Kitty/Rachel/Jubilee for things to stay that way.
    PAD's All-New, All-Different X-Factor: From The Beginning
    X-Poster of the Month & Year: (August) 2012 | March 2013
    Come to Deathstrike & .AČ: Mutant League Champions 2013

Quote Originally Posted by AgentFelix View Post
    I was surprised how much I enjoyed it tbh
    It's certainly better than many, many more Wolverine comics.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by beserkerclaw View Post
    I didnt like that Logan was already in the middle of fighting bad guys. I know everyone knows who Wolverine is but Id of liked to have an intro Showing Logan doing mundane normal things before doing the Wolverine thing and while yes hes an Avenger and that gets him places he shouldnt name himself just an avengers he is an X-MAN damnit
    Well the X-men don't have any legal authority and the Avengers do...which is why in that particular situation he would flash his Avengers creds. I enjoyed this. Good start to the series...my interest is definitely piqued. Looking forward to finding out who or what is behind the possession.
    Faves: Wolverine: Weapon X, the Avengers, X-Force, etc
    My Free Weekly eZine: http://tinyurl.com/ybcnhxe
    My Clothing Line: www.culturesclothing.com
    http://twitter.com/culturesclothes

That was a good review, Nosocialize100. And I like this talk of this being similiar to Claremont (might Paul Cornell be a Claremont fan?) I think I will give this first issue a try.

Just got around to reading this and was very pleasantly surprised by how much fun it was. Definitely had the feel of the good ol' halcyon days of Claremont's run on the Wolverine solo.
    But come on, really? Nothing to get bent out of shape over Logan identifying himself as an Avenger to the police. I'm sure that he thinks of himself as an X-Man first and an Avenger second, but the Avengers I.D. is certainly the more plausible get-out-of-jail free card.
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12

Solid first issue. I decided to give this book the spot Wolverine and the X-Men held in my list. I like Wolverine's characterization here a lot more than in most books I've seen recently.
    Please visit CrossGen Forums, The premier meeting place for fans of CrossGen

Read the issue. At the end of the issue, it says Paul Cornell has turned in an "epic outline". That sounds intriguing. I hope he's on the book, and this character, awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by .AČ View Post
    I decided to pick this up on a whim. It was a perfectly enjoyable start to the series with a definite Claremontian influence. The art would have been much better serviced by a different colourist. Davis isn't my personal favourite, but he wasn't issue, the lack of contrast was (compare this with his pages from Schism, or Thor). I'm unlikely to stick around, but my interest has been piqued. I'll need some Kitty/Rachel/Jubilee for things to stay that way.
    You are absolutely right about the coloring. Not a fan of Davis's faces, too wonky.

ANd yes the end was rather abrupt right when the story was taking off
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

Default Bizarre Wolverine #1 Moment

Page 4, at the top. There's a weird moment when psycho dad points the gun at Logan and says "Ok, so now..." Then, inexplicably, the next panel shows him all confused saying "That doesn't make sense."

What happened in between those two panels? And is it just poor storytelling or an intentional omission that hints at the bigger storyline? (The solicits said to pay attention, something about there being a mystery here that Logan doesn't see...)

Quote Originally Posted by Potty-Man View Post
    Page 4, at the top. There's a weird moment when psycho dad points the gun at Logan and says "Ok, so now..." Then, inexplicably, the next panel shows him all confused saying "That doesn't make sense."
    What happened in between those two panels? And is it just poor storytelling or an intentional omission that hints at the bigger storyline? (The solicits said to pay attention, something about there being a mystery here that Logan doesn't see...)
    yeah, the 'psycho-dad' is clearly possessed.. and whatever force had possessed him jumped to his son just prior to the dad getting killed. This entity was perplexed by Logan because he's a mutant and doesn't age at a normal pace (the possessed son later questions Logan about this). What we can infer from this is that the possessing entity has an ability to read the biological signs of his potential host organisms and was momentarily befuddled by the differences between regular humans and mutants.
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12

I thought it was a good starting point for the comic. Of course I will keep reading this book, since I get all Wolverine's books. Although I don't understand why people are hung up about him saying "I"m an Avenger! Codename: Wolverine." Of course he would say that to the cop or any other military type group. I may be wrong here but the X-Men aren't recognized as a sanctioned super hero group in the government right? So when he says that he is an Avenger, he is basically saying, stand your ground, I belong here, you don't tell me what to do. Saying your an X-Man just says, hey, I'm a mutant and I'm in this group.

I was kind of bored, and none of the Cornell interviews pumped me up for this run. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and stick for the first arc, but I'm not sure I'll stick around. And Alan Davis seemed off. I thought of Ogun as the possessor initially

Quote Originally Posted by AgentFelix View Post
    As much as the public may be backing Cyclops and mutant rights everywhere, what does it say about the cops when they rush in and Wolverine doesn't think "I'm the leader of the X-Men" will carry any weight? He defers to being a member of the Avengers.
    It says that being a member of the X-Men is meaningless in terms of legal authority. Logan isn't using his status as an Avenger because it sounds good and he wuvs it more than being an X-man, he's using it because it's a legally recognized affiliation that the police have been shown to defer to in a number of situations. Spider-Man has given cops orders on a number of occasions using his Avengers authority.

All-in-all, it was pretty great to see Logan actually use his immense combat knowledge to triage the situation properly.
    Primary pulls: X-Factor, Hawkeye, Young Avengers, Avengers Arena, X-Men: Legacy, Uncanny X-Force, FF, Archer and Armstrong