Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Thunderbolts #6 REVIEW and SPOILERS -

Alright, we have the end of the first arc.

Overall, this issue I think is still an improvement over the early issues of this arc, and just may achieve decent-ness yet.

We pick up with Deadpool walking into the clearing that Elektra and Frank were engaging in some personal training in, and he gets in several snide remarks as they decide to head to the underground lab to try and find Ross and Venom. Along the way they kind of split up, but Deadpool follows Frank, and Deadpool not so obliquely threatens to kill Frank.

Ross comes too and initially forgets where he is and Hulks out, about to kill Leader when Mercy reminds him that Ross himself brought the Leader here for a reason, and that reason isn't for him to be dead. Mercy then states she has somewhere else to be, and leaves the two of them alone. Ross does a brief recap of how Leader came to be, both for his and the readers' benefit (I've never read anything about the Leader before, so it was good primer for me). He talks about how Leader had to basically upload parts of his brain to the internet to cope with how much knowledge his brain contained in relation to his physical ability to maintain that knowledge, and that this information can be accessed from several servers across the world apparently. Madman is trying to access the one in Kata Jaya. Ross leads Leader into the underground lab where we find people - children - hooked up to this server. Ross asks the Leader if he understands what it is, and instead of answering verbally, the lights on the server align themselves to read 'Yes'. A kind of creepy and cool moment.

We pick up with Venom trying to take the Madman from the Rebels, who understandably do not want to give him up. The Rebel leader talks about how she and her people are ready to fight venom, and to die if need be. This is when Mercy appears, and grants them with their wish by incinerating all of them. Madman is taken by Venom.

Back in the underground lab Elektra, Deadpool, and the Punisher all arrive, and Elektra reveals that they know that Ross had a hand in the construction of the gamma base on Kata Jaya, and Deadpool takes issue with Ross declaring that their actual job is to take care of the Gamma Base, when their original stated mission was to take out Awa, which was more or less accomplished. This is when Ross notices that Deadpool is wearing the collar that the Madman used, reveals that the collar has no bearing on Madman's ability to transform.

At this point, Venom and Madman arrive at the lab, and Madman hulks out and grabs the Leader. Leader insists that he's not trying to take information away from Madman, but instead wants to give it to him. He whispers something in Madman's ear, and whatever he told him was apparently too much for Madman to process, as his head starts bubbling up, and then his mind is literally blown, to the delight of Mercy (wherever she went to after setting all those people on fire).

Leader states that he knows that whatever Madman was working on, it was something that left the island three days ago and feels like if they don't find it immediately, it could kil millions of people. At this point, the team kind of non-verbally confirms they are still in the game, and Deadpool brings up a sub that he and Elektra saw on their initial failed assault on the palace (and this is also how he traveled back to Ross so quickly in issue 3).

Ross states they'll take the sub, with Venom expressing some concern about all of them being in such close quarters for such a long period of time.

Ok....this is the final issue of this arc, and in the end, I am becoming much more ok with this book. It also makes me feel like I judged some events too harshly and too early, such as Madman's seeming depowerment, when it was really a ruse on Madman's part. We are also kind of presented with the overall big picture and source of their further adventures: Leader has information stored in remote locations that can be used to make and do some bad shit capable of ending many, many lives.

I have to say, I am kinda excited to see where they go next, and this issue restores some of my faith in Way, and that some things that seem nonsensical at first may actually be explained later.

Also, at this point I've become accustomed to Dillon's art and have found a fondness for it, so while I am eager for Noto's take I can already tell it's going to be a jarring transition for me personally.

At the end of the day, I love this team, the story seems to be going in an interesting direction, and I am letting myself enjoy this book much more than I was previously. Here's hoping there's some good stuff to come.

I gotta say.. I was very impressed with Daniel Way's Deadpool in this issue. The "kill you last" quote was awesome and he was also humorous while not being a loony toon. I would go as far as to say this is one of Way's best issues in terms of Deadpool to date.

I had also grown accustomed to Dillon's art. Still just not in favor of it. Ready for Noto.

The last scene with Madman was pretty gross.

Yeah, Deadpool and Frank's little tete a tete was probably my favorite bit.

Plus Mercy lighting all those people on fire! Overall this was probably my favorite issue, and now that the arc is over and we can look at it completely, I think it was decent overall. It had a weak beginning, but I think it ended pretty strongly (considering), and is setting itself up for a nice, long overall story.

There were some cool moments. I understand the tension between the team, but there were too many unexplained items in this story arc. Daniel Way needs to improve the writing. The story wasn't very compelling and at times was meh IMO. We should be on the edge of our seat reading about these larger than life characters.

Mercy with the shadow and creepy smile reminds me of Wednesday Addams and I’m not a fan of her look. I look forward to Phil Noto taking over the art.

I don't think this first arc was altogether successful - it unfolded in a herky-jerky way to me - but there was enough that I liked to keep me going into the next arc. Having this crew together in a sub should yield some good moments, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by IndigoMX9 View Post
    There were some cool moments. I understand the tension between the team, but there were too many unexplained items in this story arc. Daniel Way needs to improve the writing. The story wasn't very compelling and at times was meh IMO. We should be on the edge of our seat reading about these larger than life characters.

Mercy with the shadow and creepy smile reminds me of Wednesday Addams and I’m not a fan of her look. I look forward to Phil Noto taking over the art.
    After this last issue, the only thing that still hasn't been explained or explained in detail is Ross de-hulking after juicing up Leader with some gamma radiation.

Some things like Deadpool arriving back in Madripoor were kind of poorly explained, but there was a blurb in the recap pages and then in this issue he explicitly talks about using one of the subs. Madman de-hulking after one landmine attack seemed random and horribly conceived, until we realize that he had total control over his transformations and wanted to be captured.

Still not the greatest narrative, but looking at the arc as a whole, I have less complaints than I did as we were going through issue to issue. Gives me hope that the next arc will be good, especially now that we essentially know what to expect from Way's writing.

/all my opinion, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I don't think this first arc was altogether successful - it unfolded in a herky-jerky way to me - but there was enough that I liked to keep me going into the next arc. Having this crew together in a sub should yield some good moments, at least.
    Very herky-jeryky. If you weren't paying close enough attention, I definitely feel like you would be lost by the end of this issue, if not earlier.

I'm losing my faith in this book. I actually still haven't read the last issue. I've opened it a couple times but can't seem to remember how they got from the end of the issue prior to that opening page.

If I can't bring myself to sort it and read these two issues before the next one hits, Ima drop this. It'll, sadly, be the first 'NOW' book I've walked away from.

I tried, Tsai. Seriously. :/
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    I'm losing my faith in this book. I actually still haven't read the last issue. I've opened it a couple times but can't seem to remember how they got from the end of the issue prior to that opening page.

If I can't bring myself to sort it and read these two issues before the next one hits, Ima drop this. It'll, sadly, be the first 'NOW' book I've walked away from.

I tried, Tsai. Seriously. :/
    No problem, I appreciate it :)

Though if I remember correctly, the issue starts with Punisher/Elektra redressing, which is a direct continuation of the start of their intimacy at the end of last issue. In fact, all the starts of each character beat pick up exactly where they left off in the last issue. I don't blame you for the last issue not being that memorable though.

I'm glad I decided only to possibly trade this and even that now looks unlikely.......
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

I honestly think that, while still not great, the first arc will read better in trade. I think that can be said for a lot of NOW's first arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I honestly think that, while still not great, the first arc will read better in trade. I think that can be said for a lot of NOW's first arcs.
    I agree. As I said earlier it's still not the best narrative, but looking at the story as a whole it's not nearly as bad (imo) as it seemed issue by issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TsaiMeLemoni View Post
    After this last issue, the only thing that still hasn't been explained or explained in detail is Ross de-hulking after juicing up Leader with some gamma radiation.

Some things like Deadpool arriving back in Madripoor were kind of poorly explained, but there was a blurb in the recap pages and then in this issue he explicitly talks about using one of the subs. Madman de-hulking after one landmine attack seemed random and horribly conceived, until we realize that he had total control over his transformations and wanted to be captured.

Still not the greatest narrative, but looking at the arc as a whole, I have less complaints than I did as we were going through issue to issue. Gives me hope that the next arc will be good, especially now that we essentially know what to expect from Way's writing.

/all my opinion, of course
    Hey TsaiMe, don't get me wrong, I am all for this book! I've seen comments on other websites by fans/critics, they say similar things, some good but mostly bad. In Daniel Way's defense, this was his first time writing this so I understand that he won't know all the details in the characters. I really REALLY hope that the next story arc is a knockout; I'm ready for Phil Noto's art.

Has the art improved?
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Has the art improved?
    Phil Noto takes over next issue and it looks great. Dillon's art remains the same pretty much whether youre a fan of his or not (Mercy burning the soldiers was pretty cool looking though)