Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Let's not forget this is a comic series based on a game where Superman HAS gone over the edge and turned into a Dictator. I think its an inevitability Wonder Woman will play a major part in Clark's shift. I also have no problems with it, as I consider the entire thing a throw-away just to help the game's plot make sense. You pit Link versus Mario in Smash Brothers and no one cares why or what dark path the plumber trod to get to that point. It's just video game silliness.

All that being said, the books have been pretty good so far. I love some of the dialogue. Lois was FEISTY. I wish that were the LL we see in the New 52!

Infâme et fier de l'être Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraboy View Post
    Let's not forget this is a comic series based on a game where Superman HAS gone over the edge and turned into a Dictator. I think its an inevitability Wonder Woman will play a major part in Clark's shift. I also have no problems with it, as I consider the entire thing a throw-away just to help the game's plot make sense. You pit Link versus Mario in Smash Brothers and no one cares why or what dark path the plumber trod to get to that point. It's just video game silliness.

All that being said, the books have been pretty good so far. I love some of the dialogue. Lois was FEISTY. I wish that were the LL we see in the New 52!
    Well, that's the thing, though. Mario doesn't become evil for the needs of the plot in Smash Bros. Hell, Smash Bros has no plot, so it's not like the way Neverrealm went was the only way to go.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Well, that's the thing, though. Mario doesn't become evil for the needs of the plot in Smash Bros. Hell, Smash Bros has no plot, so it's not like the way Neverrealm went was the only way to go.
    Fair enough - I guess I just don't care about plot in my fighting games. Yeah, they could have gone another way, but for the sake of fulfilling their story's plot the way they went doesn't bother me, I guess, is my opinion on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraboy View Post
    Fair enough - I guess I just don't care about plot in my fighting games. Yeah, they could have gone another way, but for the sake of fulfilling their story's plot the way they went doesn't bother me, I guess, is my opinion on it.
    pretty much this. I mean you have a game where Joker is fighting against the likes of Superman, Doomsday and Black Adam?

HArley can take down WW. Just characters that have no business fighting each other on a comic page, but in videogames anything goes

A new world order without crimes and criminals doesn't sound bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    What if Batman is the General Zod of this Story? Krypton was a Utopia yet Zod still tried to take over. What would make someone fight against a peaceful existence?
    Exactly my thoughts. Batman must have a motivation for doing it. Apparently according to solicits, a major lost, perhaps someone like his own son. Maybe killed by one of the new world order's soldier by accident.

All Roads Lead To Hell 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The Legendary Fortress Of Solitude, The Strangest Place On Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If anything, playing up the dangers of their alliance in this title makes me believe more that's not a direction they're headed in the main continuity. That it'll prove an unfounded fear on Prime Earth. At least it'd be pretty crappy management to allow a comic book miniseries based on a game beat a planned in-continuity story to the punch.
    I agree. But I wouldn't worry, as the whole setting is totally different from what's happening in the New52 Universe.

BTW, something told me that those two would become an item in this story. Apparently, WW has harbored feelings for Superman for a while.

Oh yes.
    ... The Master Of Puppets has spoken.

Goodbye León (november 16th, 1993 - june 12th, 2009). You were, are and always will be the best friend I ever had. I will always love you and never forget you. And please, please forgive me.

Thank you for teaching me about love, patience and caring. Rest in Peace, my friend. I hope that wherever it is you are now, you can run and play as much as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    I agree. But I wouldn't worry, as the whole setting is totally different from what's happening in the New52 Universe.

BTW, something told me that those two would become an item in this story. Apparently, WW has harbored feelings for Superman for a while.

Oh yes.
    I'm not sure she had feelings for him... Wonder Woman reminded me those scheming noble women of ancient times. Which is not what Wonder Woman is about, but it's an valid take on the character considering her origins. Right now I'm imagining their relationship something like Theodora and Justinian.

Her interest in Clark is, let's say, political.

Cavilling Metropolitan Self-DCeit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Just thought it was entertaining. Not overly original but entertaining. I get people one here are mad. To each there own I guess. This is really just a tie in comic for a videogame. And it doesn't bother me for a character I like not to be written perfectly all the time.

Even if I didn't like the story I probably wouldn't get bent out of shape about it. There re a lot of things I disagree with in comics at the moment, and if I let everyone of those things get to me I'd be mad all the time lol. Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't find this to be bad, its not like we haven't seen these characters portrayed like this before to a degree
    You, sir, speak a lot of good and common sense. My hat is off to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Just thought it was entertaining. Not overly original but entertaining. I get people one here are mad. To each there own I guess. This is really just a tie in comic for a videogame. And it doesn't bother me for a character I like not to be written perfectly all the time.

Even if I didn't like the story I probably wouldn't get bent out of shape about it. There re a lot of things I disagree with in comics at the moment, and if I let everyone of those things get to me I'd be mad all the time lol. Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't find this to be bad, its not like we haven't seen these characters portrayed like this before to a degree
    Technically, nobody should ever get too bent out of shape over any comic story.

I'm a little wary of the rationale that "it's just a video game" or whatever. Being a video game shouldn't mean it should have lower writing standards than if it were for a TV show, comic book, or movie IMO. I feel like if you're going to make the effort to write a story, then don't phone it in. I agree, the decision to purchase and play a fighting game (and most games, but fighting games, among others, in particular) should be the quality of game play, but every aspect of a game should have polish. You're better off not doing something at all, e.g. no story in MvC fighters, than to make a dissatisfying story.

Also, technically Super Smash Bros. Brawl has a story, too.

I'm a little wary of the rationale that "it's just a video game" or whatever. Being a video game shouldn't mean it should have lower writing standards than if it were for a TV show, comic book, or movie IMO.
    Videogames have to write a story that's tied with the gameplay, that automatically gives it some restrictions and less freedom than standard storytelling from tv, comics or books. This is a fighting game, so there won't be grunts or anything, every character you face has to be playable, aside from a few rare bosses. They're also likely going with a single linear story here, like in the last Mortal Kombat, every gameplay segment is going to be a battle between heroes or villains, so they likely needed a history with heavy hero vs hero moments in order to extend the story mode with various hero vs hero match ups, rather than just repetitive match ups of the same hero vs the same villains. So, from that, rather than being free to do any story they'd like, they'd have to prepare a premise that could allow hero vs hero, which is probably what lead to the ditactor Superman concept with the heroes in different teams and some villains running around.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    Videogames have to write a story that's tied with the gameplay, that automatically gives it some restrictions and less freedom than standard storytelling from tv, comics or books. This is a fighting game, so there won't be grunts or anything, every character you face has to be playable, aside from a few rare bosses. They're also likely going with a single linear story here, like in the last Mortal Kombat, every gameplay segment is going to be a battle between heroes or villains, so they likely needed a history with heavy hero vs hero moments in order to extend the story mode with various hero vs hero match ups, rather than just repetitive match ups of the same hero vs the same villains. So, from that, rather than being free to do any story they'd like, they'd have to prepare a premise that could allow hero vs hero, which is probably what lead to the ditactor Superman concept with the heroes in different teams and some villains running around.
    All of these are good points. I would add, though, that assuming this game will have a story mode and an arcade/tournament mode, that latter of which story is almost completely irrelevant, the story mode didn't necessarily have to accommodate hero vs. hero. It could've easily been like most fighting games, in which the good guys have a mission to beat their nemesis (ala SF Alpha 1 and 2, or the midbosses in many fighters), or the all-encompassing big bad.

I'll give WB/DC/Nether Realm some credit for being kind of adventurous with this story, however, and in that aspect they deserve some praise for trying.

All of these are good points. I would add, though, that assuming this game will have a story mode and an arcade/tournament mode, that latter of which story is almost completely irrelevant, the story mode didn't necessarily have to accommodate hero vs. hero. It could've easily been like most fighting games, in which the good guys have a mission to beat their nemesis (ala SF Alpha 1 and 2, or the midbosses in many fighters), or the all-encompassing big bad.
    Most fighting games do that by making the player go through a bunch of random matches between the few story relevant ones with actual dialogue or cutscenes. The last Mortal Kombat, and this game, will have a cutscene filled story mode with story between every match you play through in that story, not just some specific encounters.

If they were going with that Capcom-like approach, then the story likely could be whatever they could imagine, but following the guidelines of the last Mortal Kombat allows it to be a much more visually impressive experience, which seemed to work for Mortal Kombat's sales and it's the reason they'll likely stick with it here.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    Most fighting games do that by making the player go through a bunch of random matches between the few story relevant ones with actual dialogue or cutscenes. The last Mortal Kombat, and this game, will have a cutscene filled story mode with story between every match you play through in that story, not just some specific encounters.

If they were going with that Capcom-like approach, then the story likely could be whatever they could imagine, but following the guidelines of the last Mortal Kombat allows it to be a much more visually impressive experience, which seemed to work for Mortal Kombat's sales and it's the reason they'll likely stick with it here.
    I didn't play any MK 9 beyond the free demo, so I don't know how the story mode played out. I did play MK vs. DCU, though, and I thought the cutscene in between each fight was a bit overkill. Based solely on MK vs. DCU, I'd say the sweet spot was two or three featured cutscenes. But who knows, maybe it'll work great in this game to have a great number of character interactions.

All Roads Lead To Hell 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The Legendary Fortress Of Solitude, The Strangest Place On Earth

Quote Originally Posted by SNascimento View Post
    I'm not sure she had feelings for him... Wonder Woman reminded me those scheming noble women of ancient times. Which is not what Wonder Woman is about, but it's an valid take on the character considering her origins. Right now I'm imagining their relationship something like Theodora and Justinian.

Her interest in Clark is, let's say, political.
    Point taken. Actually some of her words could be interpreted that way. We'll see.
    ... The Master Of Puppets has spoken.

Goodbye León (november 16th, 1993 - june 12th, 2009). You were, are and always will be the best friend I ever had. I will always love you and never forget you. And please, please forgive me.

Thank you for teaching me about love, patience and caring. Rest in Peace, my friend. I hope that wherever it is you are now, you can run and play as much as you want.