Default Baltimore: The Inquisitor

The cover for this one-shot coming in June:

I'm really going to need to revisit the Plague Ships again, never in a million years would I have assumed we'd see Vanessa Kalderas again.

I was the same. Are we discussing spoilers here yet? OK, well, I'm assuming we are. The book's been out a few days now. I really liked the way she marked Judge Duvic. She reaches up with a bloody hand and grabs his forearm. Afterwards, he pulls back his sleeve to reveal a bloodied handprint on his arm. I bet he'll bear that mark for the rest of his life. It was just a really nice touch that the marking went through his sleeve.

I agree. I loved her 'gypsy way' of vengeance. Was it Romanian words?

I think The Things are going little bit fast in the Baltimore books.
    Now Vanessa is dead, and Baltimore will face the judge Soon. And before that Baltimore will deal with Lucrezia Fulcanell...

Yeah, it was Romanian. Translates to: “You cannot? I hide the beast in your heart.”

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    I was the same. Are we discussing spoilers here yet? OK, well, I'm assuming we are. The book's been out a few days now. I really liked the way she marked Judge Duvic. She reaches up with a bloody hand and grabs his forearm. Afterwards, he pulls back his sleeve to reveal a bloodied handprint on his arm. I bet he'll bear that mark for the rest of his life. It was just a really nice touch that the marking went through his sleeve.
    That was an awesome scene, it came across as just so very personal and intimate for some reason. It was such a small detail, and though superatural it made the whole exchange feel real.

I just read this book and loved it, but I'm at a bit at a loss as to where to go from here. Can anyone recommend a Baltimore reading list, or if the answer would be "all of them" perhaps suggest where to start? Thank you.

Fortunately there's not too much for you to catch up on. You'll find what you need here.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    Fortunately there's not too much for you to catch up on. You'll find what you need here.
    Thank you very much! Have you read Baltimore Or The Steadfast Tin Soldier and The Vampire? It is a novel with some illustrations, is that correct? Do you consider it to be a key piece of the canon and is it a gripping read? I typically stick to books with more pictures than words, heh, but I'd be willing to get it if it's worth it. Or should I just jump into the collections?

I really liked the novel. The way it's structured, it veers sideways a lot to explore other avenues of the world. It's a peculiar way to structure a book, but I found it very enjoyable. It's sort of like getting a few short stories along the way.

The comics are certainly made that you don't have to read the novel at all though, but I think reading the novel as well is a more satisfying experience.

I highly recommend reading the novel. Not only is it my favorite Baltimore tale to date, it's what kickstarted the whole thing. It's structured in a surprisingly unique way, and not to mention, it's just a beautiful looking book. Mignola's cover painting is gorgeous, and the pages are deckled giving the whole package a really great feel.

Thanks, folks. Getting the book sounds well worth it. So glad to have discovered this property.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior Wormwood View Post
    I highly recommend reading the novel. Not only is it my favorite Baltimore tale to date, it's what kickstarted the whole thing. It's structured in a surprisingly unique way, and not to mention, it's just a beautiful looking book. Mignola's cover painting is gorgeous, and the pages are deckled giving the whole package a really great feel.
    Indeed, I really can't recommend the novel enough. It's not just a great Baltimore story, it's just a down right great story in general. Definitely one of my top 50 greatest rads of all time.