Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Funky Lantern Corpsman

What about the Knight and Squire mini series? How does if fit (if it does)?

Quote Originally Posted by RonG View Post
    What about the Knight and Squire mini series?
    It's pretty good.

How does if fit (if it does)?
    The general sense of a dearth of real threat from the British villains doesn't quite fall in line with what's seen elsewhere completely, but there's nothing that would egregiously put it out of continuity or anything.

It'd be between their appearances in B&R and Inc vol 2, I'd guess. Just about anywhere between.

First thing I'd keep in mind is that reading older works and re-reading and re-reading Morrison's stuff isn't just essential. Its part of the whole charm for most of us!

Black Casebook - I'd almost say this is essential to understanding the early "First Season" stuff. I especially found reading the origins of the Club of Heroes helped a lot. But more than anything else I can't begin to describe how FUN these stories are. I laugh my butt off at every panel of the Wingman story for instance. If you're scared of camp I guess avoid this. One of the best Batman collections out there.

Dark Knight, Dark City - This ALMOST is to the "Second Season" what Black Casebook was to the first. A first rate Riddler story that deserves to be cited among the great Batman stories.

I know Return of Bruce Wayne doesn't get much love here (why? I have no idea.) but there is an Alan Grant Shadow of the Bat issue that ties into that with a history of Wayne Manor. Also the Batman Secret filed from the 90's.

I never cared too much for Son of the Demon, but I'd read it anyway

Finally, I disagree with anyone who says Final Crisis isn't essential. If nothing else, its really awesome and not at all confusing, despite its reputation. I guess whenever I'm re-reading the run, it never seems like a chore, it seems like a major highlight. I know a lot of the Batman stuff is repeated in Batman 701-702, but I always prefer reading those in publication order, to preserver some of the mysteries until late in Return of Bruce Wayne. I think a lot of the anti-Final Crisis folks didn't really get into Return of Bruce Wayne and its mysteries, but I really think it works better that way.

Avoid at all costs:
    Battle for the Cowl (just plain awful in every way. Not a single redeeming quality.)
    Ressurection of Ra's - Probably being too harsh here, but its mainly just pointless.

Morrison's other Batman stuff is awesome, but not totally relevant. (Arkham Asylum (overrated slightly), Gothic (underrated), JLA (I think we all agree here that this is awesome and essential for any DC fan, but again not totally relevent to the Great Run)

Good call on Batman & Robin 0 and the Annual. I think Tomasi's upcoming Robin RIP arc will surely take a place in this category as well. New 52 Batman & Robin Vol.4: Reqiuem, I suppose.

I've been re-reading my Jim Aparo/Bob Haney Brave & the Bold HC, it's a far background influence to Incorporated but so much fun I have to second Macs mention. The soon-to-be-released Alan Davis HC featuring his Detective run was also citied by Morrison as an influence on Batman & Robin in it's humor and capturing a vibe of the Silver Age.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosed View Post
    there is an Alan Grant Shadow of the Bat issue that ties into that with a history of Wayne Manor. Also the Batman Secret filed from the 90's.
    Interesting, do you know what exact this is? Anyone.

Welcome to the boards btw Nosed.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post

Interesting, do you know what exact this is? Anyone.

Welcome to the boards btw Nosed.
    I was about to start digging in the basement for it, but then I remembered the Internet:

I believe its this issue (pretty good if I recall)
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_Sha...e_Bat_Vol_1_45

Its also, I believe, the origin of the Waynes as conductors of underground railroad story. First time I saw Batman Begins I was like "They used an Alan Grant story idea!"
    Last edited by Nosed; 03-08-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosed View Post
    I was about to start digging in the basement for it, but then I remembered the Internet:

I believe its this issue (pretty good if I recall)
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_Sha...e_Bat_Vol_1_45

Its also, I believe, the origin of the Waynes as conductors of underground railroad story. First time I saw Batman Begins I was like "They used an Alan Grant story idea!"
    Definitely going to look for this issue next time in my LCS. Thanks Nosed
    Currently reading: Flash 227-Flashpoint

The more I think about it and read the comments, the more I see a multi tiered answer:

Essential
    Morrison's Batman run itself pretty self explanatory

Semi-Essential / fill-in-the gaps
    Ressurection of Ra's Al Ghul
    Battle for the Cowl
    The Road Home
    Batman and Robin (vol 2) #0

Semi-Essential / Background (concerning plot / character points from the main run)
    Dark Knight Dark City
    Black Casebook
    The Demon stories (Son of the Demon)
    Gates of Gotham
    Batman and Robin (vol 2) Annual

Semi-Essential / Background (Morrison's other Batman tales)
    Arkham Asylum GN
    Gothic
    JLA: New World Order
    JLA Classified 1-3

Non-Essential
    Black Mirror
    Batman and Robin (vol 1) 17-26 Dick and Damian's post Morrison adventures
    This except I'd just say all of Morrisons JLA run and add Final Crisis and the Jurgens Search for Batman mini into fill in the gaps and 52 into background.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    This except I'd just say all of Morrisons JLA run and add Final Crisis and the Jurgens Search for Batman mini into fill in the gaps and 52 into background.
    I believe you're referring to the time masters mini? I saw a signed copy of it at half price books. I was going to get it, because I was a huge Jorgensen fan back in the early 90's but then a I read it and found it to be super dull. I went back the next week and it was gone, I really should have picked it up anyway.

I do disagree with the need to fill in anything, although ill reiterate that Final Crisis is so good it almost is a must read. I love the way that batman and robin 1 covers the same ground in one page that it took battle for the cowl several issues to do.

Funky Lantern Corpsman

How about these stories? SHould I get them as part of the overall Morrison Run "experience"?

Azrael: Death's Dark Knight mini series

Red Robin TPB's: The Grail, Collision, The Hit List, 7 days of death

Batman: Life after Death

Gotham shall be Judged TPB

The Hush stories: Heart of Hush, Hush Money, Leviathan, House of Hush

Funky Lantern Corpsman

How about these stories? SHould I get them as part of the overall Morrison Run "experience"?

Azrael: Death's Dark Knight mini series

Red Robin TPB's: The Grail, Collision, The Hit List, 7 days of death

Batman: Life after Death

Gotham shall be Judged TPB

The Hush stories: Heart of Hush, Hush Money, Leviathan, House of Hush
    Also, what about the Many Deaths of Batman story from 1989 and the Untold Legend of Batman mini series?

do these enhance the various parts of Morrison's run? Maybe the death and/or Zurr-en-Arrh parts?

Funky Lantern Corpsman

Realy? no thoughts on this?

c'mon guys

Also, what about the Many Deaths of Batman story from 1989 and the Untold Legend of Batman mini series?

do these enhance the various parts of Morrison's run? Maybe the death and/or Zurr-en-Arrh parts?
    Any Batman story is going to enhance the read, in some way, because you can compare/contrast it to what Morrison is doing.

But, to my mind, The Untold Legend of Batman isn't hugely revelatory when read in conjunction with Morrison's Bat-epic, no. It's also an exceptionally uneven comic, with some really awesome parts and some that range from flat to oh god make it stop.

I'm not sure that anything Hush is going to do much to open up Morrison's batwork, either, beyond very basic thematic connections.

The Great Curator Mr. Mastermind's Avatar

Scott Lobdell's run on Red Hood and the Outlaws is in my opinion essential to the Wingman revelation considering how much of a crazy psycho Jason Todd was in Revenge of the Red Hood.

The New 52's Batman and Robin gives a good showcase of the father son relationship.

Batgirl #17 and Superman/Batman #77 are good Damian reads.

And all the other suggestions from other people.
    Desaad: Guess they found out [Mr. Mastermind] was Holmes?

ABH-1979: Really? I don't think so. I actually liked Holmes...

Hi all,

I want to fully experience Morrison's Bat epic, and I know that there are "supplemental" stories not written by Morrison, that aren't considered essential to the run (Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul, The Road Home one shots, Battle for the cowl, etc)

Which stories in your opinion best enhance Morrison's run? What are your favorites?
    Basically, that'd be like adding watter to make your wine better.

Resurrection is kind of ok, but the rest is garbage, specially compared with the Morrison standards. Go the other way around, it'd be better to consider Final Crisis or Animal Man suplemental reading, non-Batman Morrison stories.

Hmmm. There's another angle. Way more useful to Morrison's run. Read the stories that inspired what's going on. The siver age debuts of Bat-mite, Batman of Zur-En-Arrh, the Batmen of All Nations as well as some modern ones Batman: Son of the Demon, Batman: DKR, Batman: Gothic, The Killing Joke.

Another possibility is to read the books that were parallel to his run to get a sense of what was going on at the time. The tie-ins suck, and in any given event, they are most probably going to be garbage. However, here I'm talking about good writers doing their own thing on related books. I liked Dini a lot and Snyder is fine, in both cases, specially on detective. I'd avoid Finch and Daniel.
    Characters: Elongated Man, Batman, Satellite JLA, Super Buddies, Sandman, Swamp Thing
    Writers: Moore, Gaiman, Cooke, Giffen/DeMatteis, Miller, Dini, Morrison, Waid, Meltzer, McDuffie, Barr, Englehart

Funky Lantern Corpsman

double post