Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Uncanny X-Men, #2

"Uncanny X-Men" #2 by Brian Michael Bendis and Chris Bachalo delves into the mind and motivations of Emma Frost, before moving the plot towards the new student recruits and the dangers that Cyclops' team must face to keep them.

Full review here.

We'll Be Waiting For You godzilla2099's Avatar

The review hit some points but an extremely unfair overall rating

I'd have given the book 4 out of 5 Stars.

The dialogue was good, we get a great foundation of the new base and introduction to the new students, and a sweet cliffhanger ending.
    Last edited by godzilla2099; 03-05-2013 at 03:41 PM.

I thought the first issue was awesome, but kind of felt like in this one, nothing really significant happened. It felt a little repetitive and redundant. But I'm sure it's gonna be an awesome series! And Chris Bachalo's art is gorgeoussss!!!
    Last edited by earth2sara; 03-04-2013 at 10:41 PM.
    Current Favorites:: The Walking Dead, Batman, Thief of Thieves, Saga, Revival, Animal Man, Avengers Arena, Justice League, All-New Xmen, Uncanny Avengers, AVX,

There's the review with less than 4 stars ...

I enjoyed both of the first two issues a lot. I'd give them both 3 and a half stars. The character interactions are really interesting, the dialogue can be a little redundant but still fun and engaging and Chris Bachalo's lovely art enhances this all very well. I particularly loved his art in the scenes at the beginning with Emma and Scott and the layout of the Charles Xavier school.
    Last edited by Psyknight; 03-04-2013 at 11:37 PM.

Well I though it was a 5 star read.

I agree with the review, though story-wise, I give both issues 4 out of 5 stars. Love how it's developing and it seems we will see Tempus, Goldball, Genezer (healer in Dutch, seems a cool codename) and Benjamin in action next issue.

I agree on what is said about Emma looking to young in this. I also think the female costumes are very simular to eachother. I like black a lot, but I like variation as well. Also hate the new design of Yana's sword. It looks like the massive hoenix-blade of Korvus now. I liked previous incarnations more. Cyclops en Mags their costumes are awesome.

I for one cannot wait to see which kids they will get along for the ride from JGS.
    We have a new King...!

I deserved 4 out of 5 stars imo. The layout of Emma monologue page was crazy, I loved it; and the ending scene of the Emma/Scott conversation was beautifully illustrated. Those new mutants finally had their own time, few dialogues showed their different characteristics greatly. Bendis' Magik was just awesome… it totally piqued my interest in the revealing of her "secret" down the road. Emma's voice was still kinda off (better than in the previous issue though) but I really liked the new situation that Bendis created to out her to be in. They are no longer together but still have special feelings for each other. Can’t wait for the issue #3.

I like Emma's and Magik's new costumes, way better than I previously thought.
    Last edited by airdreams; 03-05-2013 at 02:48 AM.
    In dog days, all we need is Frost.

Wow CBR got it right for a change.

Are Bachalo fans that big of fan boys or are they blind? Bachalo's art was bad in this issue, and let me point out where.1. Why did it take us two issues to realize that Emma looks 12? She looked that way in No.1 as well, look at Immomen's version. It's fantastic. 2. Emma's face changes shape and structure in every panel during her conversation with Cyclops, it looks stupid. 3. Why does Eva lose her blue strips 5 times and continues to regain them on the same page? 4. Illyanna loses her headdress in a panel and then regains it on the same page. 5. Poink touches it face constantly. No. 1 just makes the book stupid, why does Emma look so young, I think Kitty looks older than her, heck Illyanna looks older. 2, 3 and 4 to me says he doesn't care. You cannot just forget to do something from panel to panel on the same page, that is just really crappy art work and inconsistency is what will lose me from the book and 5 is just annoying, every panel Poink is in except I believe 1 he is touching his face, can he do nothing else? Is that his mutant power?.... Also thank you Master of Sound for pointing out that her sword looks stupid.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Kitty is supposed to look older than Emma. One's a screechy harridan and the other knows her botox aesthetician like she's her firstborn.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    and it seems we will see..., Genezer (healer in Dutch, seems a cool codename) .

Bachalo's colors also reinforce the forward-looking tone of Cyclops' mission. "Uncanny X-Men" #2 starts with Emma alone in a scene of blue ice and ends with the greenish gray Australian light. It's a bleak new revolutionary world, but it also looks clean and fresh.
    A reviewer with good taste.

The score is fair though I would have rated it higher.

"Bachalo's facial expressions and have excellent range. Illyana's suspicious narrowed eyes convey her sharp suspicions, "

Did they proofread this?

I have my suspiciously narrowed suspicions.