Default Is Sandman Canonical to the New 52?

The original Sandman series crossed over with the main continuity as late as the final arc, and featured some mainstream characters as major influences -- most notably Doctor Destiny, Jack Kirby's Sandman, and Fury. And as recently as the Black Ring saga in the pages of Action Comics in 2010, Gaiman's Death appeared as an important character in DC's cosmology.

The New 52, however has featured no reference to any of the characters in Sandman's canon (with the exception of Martian Manhunter) and no references have been made to Gaiman's mythos (to my knowledge). Gaiman is writing Sandman again, but it seems it will be under the Vertigo banner. Will Sandman be realized as part of the New 52's cosmology, like Constantine, Swamp Thing, and Animal Man, or is it to remain apart?

My guess would be the Endless are still around, but the Sandman series can't be in continuity though, as you mention, there's too many characters that are in it that have been removed from canon.
    Army of Crime

Image: Fatale, Saga
    Dark Horse: Mind Mgmt
    Marvel: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Thor: God of Thunder

A much more valid question would be "Is the New 52 canonical to Sandman?".

I don't really think anybody really cares if Sandman is now, or ever was before, 'in continuity'.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

I do. :\

I think it would be nice to have that kind of greater cosmology set up in the main universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorblax View Post
    I do. :\

I think it would be nice to have that kind of greater cosmology set up in the main universe.
    The Endless were never really a part of any kind of cosmology. They always seemed very much be apart from it.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."