Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default ECCC EXCLUSIVE: Joe Harris Explores IDW's "X-Files: Season 10"

Newly-announced writer of IDW's "X-Files" ongoing comic, Joe Harris spoke exclusively with CBR about his plans for the series, revealing that it will be executive produced by "X-Files" creator Chris Carter.

Full article here.

The X-Files is one of my favorite shows of all time, but I don't know about this. The show was pretty much played out; the mythology was finished. The second movie was terrible and there really didn't seem to be anywhere to go forward from that. I'll try the series, but they're going to have an uphill climb, there.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    The X-Files is one of my favorite shows of all time, but I don't know about this. The show was pretty much played out; the mythology was finished. The second movie was terrible and there really didn't seem to be anywhere to go forward from that. I'll try the series, but they're going to have an uphill climb, there.
    Agreed on all counts.

That said, IDW does some pretty impressive collections, and I'm eager to see what they do with the X-Files back catalogue.

Out there, that a way Doctor Cosmic's Avatar

I also agree with you guys. I'm watching the series on Netflix right now (missed a lot when I went to college!) and it's one of the best TV shows ever created.

Having seen most of the series and both films, I think the only thing left to do is to tell the story of the invasion. How long that story takes to tell and where it goes is where I would focus. My main concern with this comic is that it seems as if they're going to brush the series finale under the rug.

I say release two more movies to tell the invasion story and then gauge interest in future movies. Though I would love to see Duchovny and Anderson back on a weekly basis. Put the show on a cable channel and tell fewer stories but make them like short films.

Imagine the ultimate double-header of "The Walking Dead" followed by "The X-Files." Holy crap, that would be awesome!
    \S/
    1938-2013
    75 YEARS OF MAKING THE WORLD BELIEVE

Going to be the best thing out there.

The X-Files really went from great to terrible over the course of its run. I loved the early seasons, when it was had a great balance between "monsters of the week" and the conspiracy elements. But as the show progressed, I felt the conspiracy stuff started dominating the show too much, and plus I never cared at all for the idea of a romantic relationship between Mulder and Scully. The first film really played a huge part in starting the show's downhill slide for me. By the time the show ended, I was more relieved and saying "good riddance" than lamenting its passing. So the fact the comic will be picking up after the second film (which I didn't even bother with, coming so late after the series as it did) and expanding on where things were left is something of a big turn off for me. That said, I'll probably check out at least the first few issues, in the hopes it somehow reminds me of the good ol' days of the show, but I'm not expecting anything great.
    PULL LIST: Ghostbusters, John Carpenter's Asylum, Magnus: Robot Fighter, The Shadow, Star Wars, Thief of Thieves, Velvet, Wild Blue Yonder

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Will we ever get the John Rozum and co's X-Files comic in re-print? They are bloody marvelous.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Even if the show became more uneven in its final few years, it was still head and shoulder above pretty much anything out there so I'm all for seeing it continue, especially with Chris Carter involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Even if the show became more uneven in its final few years, it was still head and shoulder above pretty much anything out there so I'm all for seeing it continue, especially with Chris Carter involved.
    Too right! This is the best news or announcement so far this year for me. I'm a MASSIVE X Files fan and loved the last movie so I'm over the moon that the mythology is being allowed to continue in any form never mind having Chris Carter as watchman. This has made my Monday (which lets face it, suck way more than the hit-and-miss last two seasons!).

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    Will we ever get the John Rozum and co's X-Files comic in re-print? They are bloody marvelous.
    Yes they'll be doing a X-Files Classics TPB series collecting them.

Looking forward to this.

The X-Files is one of those franchises that I really WANT to succeed and find greatness again, but it keeps falling short. The height of the show was around seasons 4-5; the first movie was the beginning of diminishing returns.

It became really clear around then that show's creators really had no idea where the conspiracy arc was going. They clearly had no plan. So the show felt more and more contrived, with resolutions that seemed tacked on and rushed. The X-Files basically taught me to be weary of shows with a long, over-arching story, like "Lost." I just don't believe they can provided a well thought out, satisfying conclusion given how tv works.

That said, I am curious about this series and I really want it to succeed. The X-Files brings back great memories of Friday nights with the fam watching spooky stories. Will certainly check out the classic reprints.
    $3.99 IS TOO MUCH FOR A COMIC!

DD & BP: secret BFF's FriendRoss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    I also agree with you guys. I'm watching the series on Netflix right now (missed a lot when I went to college!) and it's one of the best TV shows ever created.

Having seen most of the series and both films, I think the only thing left to do is to tell the story of the invasion. How long that story takes to tell and where it goes is where I would focus. My main concern with this comic is that it seems as if they're going to brush the series finale under the rug.

I say release two more movies to tell the invasion story and then gauge interest in future movies. Though I would love to see Duchovny and Anderson back on a weekly basis. Put the show on a cable channel and tell fewer stories but make them like short films.

Imagine the ultimate double-header of "The Walking Dead" followed by "The X-Files." Holy crap, that would be awesome!

exaclty

fight the future and all that. cant wait!! how did we win? or did we? and what did we do to win or did the faceless alien resentince save us? im excited, especially with the news that its titled season 10 and chris carter is involved

im sick enough in the head i enjoyed the last movie for what it was though

as a child of 90's..... lord i remember watching xfiles on friday night.... never in order though... if i could show 16 year old me netflix's xfiles library id kiss myself... i was seriously lonely on friday nights back then
    Last edited by FriendRoss; 03-04-2013 at 09:08 AM.

In my view, I don't think the alien invasion of THE X-FILES would be interesting. In the TV show, it was simply ominous foreshadowing about some future event that would obviously *never* be shown on TV. How could a 90s-budgeted TV show *ever* show an alien invasion convincingly or believably? Also, THE X-FILES was constantly trying so hard to make the settings and visual design of the show seem as down-to-earth as possible. How could spaceships descending from the skies and raining devastation upon the human race ever look real in that sort of atmosphere? Also, the alien invasion got increasingly convoluted and contradictory and incomprehensible. When rewatching the series now, I prefer the standalone monsters-of-the-week and I *never* look forward to the pointless myth-arc episodes.

Chris Carter's Ragnaroks have almost always been a disappointment. MILLENNIUM claimed the world was about to end due to a population-devastating virus ravaging the world with the end of its second season -- and Season 3 opened with the plague having been contained between episodes with a fairly low body count and the sense that the writers were sheepishly stepping back because they couldn't do murders-of-the-week in a post-apocalyptic setting. THE X-FILES followed up on MILLENNIUM's prophecies of doom, where the apocalypse on the night of the new millennium turned out to be a small number of zombies easily disposed of by Mulder and Scully. Also, how could you do X-FILES-style investigations of the week if humanity has been destroyed?

I don't know how Harris will address it, but given that the comic looks to be set in 2013 and Mulder and Scully will be dealing with mysterious attacks, it's probably not a setting where humanity has been attacked by aliens. Personally, what I'm looking forward to is what Harris has said are his priorities: scary stories and the Mulder and Scully relationship. One of the problems with the TV show was that in the 90s, the status quo never changed much. Mulder and Scully were always the believer and the skeptic. The X-Files would always be a mocked and disrespected department in the FBI basement. While they might make some progress, it would always be rewound. But in a comic book, and with Joe Harris' imagination, THE X-FILES is now truly without limits.

Does the X-Files always have to be an FBI division? Could the X-Files become a global organization? Or a global movement of ordinary people keeping an eye out for the weird and unexplained? Or an underground network of hackers and observers collating their data on the strange and supernatural? What if the X-Files, on a global level, became a cultural icon for demanding the truth even when those in power would seek to hide it? What if the nature of an X-File became less about the paranormal and more about demanding openness and honesty from our establishments and authorities? Do Mulder and Scully need to work for the FBI? What if the X-Files was an independent operation with its own funding and resources? And do Mulder and Scully always have to be field agents? By 2013, they will have been away from the FBI for over a decade and coming close to their fifties; maybe it's time they started training a new generation.

Without having to worry about network demands or actor availability, THE X-FILES as a comic is truly capable of moving beyond the constraints of television. In Joe Harris' hands, it has the power to become modern myth.

There are some things that concern me. I've heard that the first arc will reinstate Mulder and Scully as FBI agents, reopen the X-Files Division and basically reset their employment situation back to Season 1, even though they remain "an item," as Harris says. I can't help but think it will be awkward to put the characters back in jobs they left behind over 10 years ago. I WANT TO BELIEVE, for all its faults, accepted that Mulder and Scully were older and much more tired and the movie didn't try to hit the reset button. I hope Harris can find some way to update the status quo so that it doesn't feel like we've simply gone back in time. There's also the fact that government conspiracies have become a bit dated. The truth was out there -- now it's all around us thanks to newspapers, the 24-hour news cycle, YouTube and Wikileaks. It's not that the people don't know, it's that they aren't in a position to do anything worthwhile with their knowledge, and the truth about our governments has more to do with money and power than it does aliens. Harris acknowledges this, however, and seems to be keen to refresh the X-FILES concept for 2013.

The future is bright and I am very excited. But the alien invasion? If some people care, I respect that. But I can't see it taking center stage. I suppose Joe Harris could make vague references to Mulder and Scully having had an eventful Christmas season for 2012, where they did save the day, but it happened off-panel and maybe we'll eventually get a mini-series that dramatizes the actual events, but does so without interrupting the ongoing series. Or it could be that the alien invasion was less about spaceships descending from the skies and wiping out the humans, but it came in a form that filled our planet with paranormal activity. Or maybe Mulder and Scully did something that pulled the Earth slightly out of sync with the rest of the universe so the aliens can never find it. Or maybe, given that IDW publishes both X-FILES and DOCTOR WHO comics, the Doctor took care of things while Mulder and Scully spent the day in bed. Or maybe Joe will find some clever way to address it without letting it intrude on telling real X-FILES stories that reflect the kind of material that showed up in actual episodes of the TV show.

Given that the alien invasion was never shown onscreen and was never presented in a way that it could actually work onscreen, I remain baffled by why fans continue to call for that story, especially when the fragments we were given were so convoluted and nonsensical that the show was forced to constantly ignore it and shove it aside to focus on monsters of the week.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EMeadow View Post
    Yes they'll be doing a X-Files Classics TPB series collecting them.
    Yes! This is fantastic news!

Thanks for the heads up
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!