Page 365 of 663 FirstFirst ... 265315355361362363364365366367368369375415465 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,475 of 9944

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    Probably the same age as your average high-end collected editions buyer.
    I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnibus View Post
    That says a lot right there doesn't it?

Wonder what the average age would be of everyone who took the survey?
    Generally, if you have the money to collect Omnis & have learned the life lesson of quality/cost you skew older.

Quote Originally Posted by DonEMC View Post
    One we'll probably NEVER see is Master of Kung Fu. Which is sad. That's a comic that rivals TOD in terms of greatness from start to finish (well, MOKF kind of died a painful death, but it died just the way TOD started -- without its true creative genius guiding the book).
    I'm surprised that there's no Gruenwald Cap, nor Starlin at all. I just can't believe that Starlin doesn't rank higher on people's want lists. He surely is one of the top creators from the 1970s and produced what is considered CLASSIC works for Marvel, including Infinity Gauntlet.
    (NOTE: While I have lobbied for Infinity Gauntlet, I DO NOT think it is even close to Starlin's best work -- that goes to Warlock and Captain Marvel AND Dreadstar, which I think is way better, but not owned by Marvel. Matter of fact, I hated the change in artists mid-series and that hurts my enjoyment of IG worse than the change of artists affects my love of New X-Men.)
    I agree with you on all of this, especailly the surprise at lack of Starlin love in that list. His stuff is brilliant.
    Marvel cosmic needs Jim Starlin back. As long as he is prohibited from using the word 'myriad' ever again.

"Hold my Annihilus." - Johnny Storm, Captain of the Annihilation Wave Armada

I got a knock at my door today and the mailman was there with a huge box. I couldn't imagine what it was, but, dang, it was heavy. So, I rushed in and opened it up and there was my John Byrne Fantastic Four Artist Edition from IDW. Wow. This is a beautiful book and it is so cool seeing all this original art together under one cover (I know most of the people who own this art, but never thought I'd see any of it altogether again). I have to say that if people on this thread don't try at least one of these Artist Editions, you are really missing out on a great format and great books.
    Some that I'd LOVE to see are:
    --Starlin's Death of Captain Marvel. (although, with the way the art has faded over the years due to Starlin's use of markers to ink this one, it might not be possible)
    --Starlin Warlock. OA collectors know where the majority of this work is, too, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.
    --Frank Miller Daredevil. Wouldn't this be a nice compliment to the Mazzuchelli Artist Edition?
    --Perez Fantastic Four. Some of the best FF art ever produced and still held up as one of the bright spots of the 1970s.
    --John Byrne Alpha Flight.
    --Paul Smith X-Men. I think he still has most of this original art, and we know where most of the rest of it is, so it could be done pretty easily.
    --Bob Budiansky Ghost Rider. This is a personal favorite for me, as I believe it is the best Ghost Rider (even better than the early tales with Ploog art) and I know where most of the OA is to this one, so it would be easy to do.
    ON THE DC SIDE:
    --Wrightson Swamp Thing.
    --Infantino Flash.
    --Neal Adams -- anything from the late 1960s and early 1970s, but nothing from his current work.
    --Bissette and Totleben Swamp Thing. And Tom Yeates Swamp Thing, too.
    --Giffen Legion.
    --Perez New Teen Titans.

Starlin's art just begs for oversize treatment. I mean, his art was a combination of Steve Ditko's imagination and Gil Kane's anatomy, together with that creative genius and flair for poses that Starlin possesses. I cannot imagine why Starlin isn't high on Marvel's list of works to reproduce. I mean, we got Death of Captain Marvel and Thanos vs. Avengers in trade paperback recently and I know that the Warlock Masterworks Vol. 2 featuring the entire Starlin Warlock saga sold very well, plus everything he does sells well for every company (when he draws it, too), so I am just confused by Marvel's lack of Starlin hardcovers.
    We get Kree-Skrull War in oversize hardcover, but not Warlock or Captain Marvel, both of which contain some of the most well-loved Thanos stories and are true comic classics.
    C'mon, Marvel. Get on the ball and produce at least one Starlin oversized hardcover, please.

I got a knock at my door today and the mailman was there with a huge box. I couldn't imagine what it was, but, dang, it was heavy. So, I rushed in and opened it up and there was my John Byrne Fantastic Four Artist Edition from IDW. Wow. This is a beautiful book and it is so cool seeing all this original art together under one cover (I know most of the people who own this art, but never thought I'd see any of it altogether again). I have to say that if people on this thread don't try at least one of these Artist Editions, you are really missing out on a great format and great books.
    Some that I'd LOVE to see are:
    --Starlin's Death of Captain Marvel. (although, with the way the art has faded over the years due to Starlin's use of markers to ink this one, it might not be possible)
    --Starlin Warlock. OA collectors know where the majority of this work is, too, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.
    --Frank Miller Daredevil. Wouldn't this be a nice compliment to the Mazzuchelli Artist Edition?
    --Perez Fantastic Four. Some of the best FF art ever produced and still held up as one of the bright spots of the 1970s.
    --John Byrne Alpha Flight.
    --Paul Smith X-Men. I think he still has most of this original art, and we know where most of the rest of it is, so it could be done pretty easily.
    --Bob Budiansky Ghost Rider. This is a personal favorite for me, as I believe it is the best Ghost Rider (even better than the early tales with Ploog art) and I know where most of the OA is to this one, so it would be easy to do.
    ON THE DC SIDE:
    --Wrightson Swamp Thing.
    --Infantino Flash.
    --Neal Adams -- anything from the late 1960s and early 1970s, but nothing from his current work.
    --Bissette and Totleben Swamp Thing. And Tom Yeates Swamp Thing, too.
    --Giffen Legion.
    --Perez New Teen Titans.
    Wrightson's DC Swamp Thing is already released HC (978-1401222369). However a DC v1 Swamp Thing would be omnibus sized and would have the Michelinie material also.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    Probably the same age as your average high-end collected editions buyer.
    Wasn't krisis's poll results showing 1/3 of buyers are under 30, 1/3 30-40 and the rest older than 40?

It would be interesting to see how many of those nominated Omnibuses are already Masterworks. One one hand that gets them out as an Omnibus much faster, but if their masterworks didn't sell that well its not likely to encourage Marvel to create an Omnibus of the material. Plus it takes the place of something that's not had the premium reproduction to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
    Wrightson's DC Swamp Thing is already released HC (978-1401222369). However a DC v1 Swamp Thing would be omnibus sized and would have the Michelinie material also.
    He's talking about Artists Editions.

#28 Ms. Marvel (1977) 1-23 - Already own the Essential, not really the sort of character I would double dip.

#27 Excalibur by Chris Claremont and Alan Davis, #1-41, Various One Shots - Already have first prints of the run

#26 Super-Villain Team Up #1-17, Giant Size #1-2, Astonish Tales #1-8 - This would be my first buy

#25 TIE: Ghost Rider (1973) - pass, never cared for the character
    Infinity Saga featuring Gauntlet, Crusade, War - Rather than have Crusade and War I would push for all the Thanos pre-Gauntlet stories and finish with the Gauntlet.

#24 Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu - A solid maybe

#23 Annihilation - Already have the OHC's

# 22 TIE: Wolverine (1988) 11-40ish - I considered Hama/Silvestri but David/Godwin's work during this period was not very impressive in my eyes.
    Journey into Mystery by Kieron GIllen - I heard good things this would be a buy

#21 Avengers by Kurt Busiek and George Perez - Already own the issues and frankly the OHC's are just perfect as they are

#20 Avengers by Roger Stern Vol 2 (The second half of his run) - Love this run but I already own it

#19 Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis Vol 2 - pass

#18 What IF?? - Yes, big buy for me, this is almost always a re-read.

#17 Fantastic Four by Kirby Vol 3 - own the masterworks

#16 TIE: Spider-Man by David Micheline/Erik Larsen - This is something I could get into
    Marvel Monsters - pass, especially now that all those Atlas era stories are entering the softcover phase

#15 Daredevil by Ann Nocenti - This is an awesome pick and made my top ten

#14 Werewolf by Night - never cared for werewolfs

#13 Doctor Strange by Steve Ditko - Interesting, I have two Doctor Strange Omnibus's on my list yet people picked the prestigious but already reprinted Ditko Strange.

#12 TIE: Captain America by Brubaker Volume 4 - own the issues
    Hulk Silver Age Volume 2 - maybe

#11 Avengers by Roger Stern Volume #1 (First half of his run) - It was a fantastic run, but I own the originals

#10 X-Factor (2008) by Peter David - Yeah....oh 2008, the original run would be a yes

#9 Uncanny X-Men Volume 3 by Claremont (#176-209) - For some of this it would be triple dipping but this is a hard yes, I love these stories and it ends right before the X-men turn into the Cross-Over men

#8 Spider-Man Silver Age Volume 3 (up to #99) - maybe

#7 Moon Knight by Moench (Werewolf by Night 32, 33, Moon Knight #1-38) - own the essentials not that impressed

#6 Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender (1-35) - great run wouldn't double dip

#4 Alpha Flight by John Byrne (1-28) - Wow this is really high for a book whose story/art are just kinda there.

#3 The New Mutants by Claremont (including the GN) - I could see this looking pretty good, I would double dip here.

#2 The Incredible Hulk by Peter David Volume #1 - nope, have the visionaires series not really the type of story I would want to revisit over and over again.

#1 Uncanny X-Men by Chris Claremont #2 (through issue #175) - I wouldn't have this as a one, because it would start right in the middle of the Dark Phoenix Saga but this would be a maybe.

So going through that list I would get six volumes, with several maybes. I would love to see other peoples lists but here's my top ten.

My ten most wanted Omnibus

10 - Amazing Spiderman - Dan Slott/ Brand New Day - Really the first year of the relaunched seems like something I could get into.

9 - Doctor Strange - Roger Stern - Stern's written better stories but man is Doctor Strange under-represented in trade-dom

8 - Warlock and the Infinity Watch - my first Starlin title on the list. I think this would end at the Infinity Crusade cross-over but it would also set up a great second volume that would start with Blood and Thunder.

7 - Spider-Girl - I feel like poor Mayday has been forgotten

6 - Hellstorm: Prince of Lies - great series I expect I'm the only one who voted for it.

5 - Mutant X - I'm sure I'm one of five people who read this run but this was classic Marvel Elseworlds goodness.

4 - Captain America - Mark Gruenwald - Shocked this didn't make peoples lists

3 - Doctor Strange - Steve Englehart - Another big surprise this didn't rank

2 - Daredevil - Ann Nocenti - Yay my only official entry

1 - Thanos - (Captain Marvel, Warlock, Infinity Gauntlet) - I feel like if people actually read the early stuff they would have loved to see this rather than just one clumsy Infinity collection.

2007 Mutant League Champion

I think Werewolf by Night should be the next Marvel horror omnibus. It would fit right in with TOD 1-3, Howard the Duck and Man-Thing as part of that whole 1970s "weird" phase. Or, maybe 1970s Ghost Rider, although I would have to believe that the lawsuit will keep that from happening.
    Ah, the lawsuit....I suppose that could be the hold up on a Ghost Rider Bronze Age Omnibus....damn it!!!

I'd get, including the ties over 20+ of the listed Omnibus titles that were complied in our little poll. Thanks to Tigereyes for doing this!
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

I admit that I didn't vote. Mostly because I don't know as much about comic history as some of you guys. I'd be cool if all of them made it to omnibus form someday.

Locks:

#1 Uncanny X-Men by Chris Claremont #2 (through issue #175)
    #2 The Incredible Hulk by Peter David Volume #1
    #6 Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender (1-35)
    #8 Spider-Man Silver Age Volume 3 (up to #99)
    #9 Uncanny X-Men Volume 3 by Claremont (#176-209)
    #10 X-Factor (2008) by Peter David
    #12 Captain America by Brubaker Volume 4
    #17 Fantastic Four by Kirby Vol 3
    #19 Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis Vol 2
    #21 Avengers by Kurt Busiek and George Perez
    #22 Journey into Mystery by Kieron GIllen
    #23 Annihilation
    #25 Infinity Saga featuring Gauntlet, Crusade, War

Maybes:

#3 The New Mutants by Claremont (including the GN)
    #4 Alpha Flight by John Byrne (1-28)
    #7 Moon Knight by Moench (Werewolf by Night 32, 33, Moon Knight #1-38)
    #11 Avengers by Roger Stern Volume #1 (First half of his run)
    #13 Doctor Strange by Steve Ditko
    #14 Werewolf by Night
    #15 Daredevil by Ann Nocenti
    #16 Spider-Man by David Micheline/Erik Larsen
    #18 What IF??
    #20 Avengers by Roger Stern Vol 2 (The second half of his run)
    #22 Wolverine (1988) 11-40ish
    #24 Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu
    #25 Ghost Rider (1973)
    #26 Super-Villain Team Up #1-17, Giant Size #1-2, Astonish Tales #1-8
    #27 Excalibur by Chris Claremont and Alan Davis, #1-41, Various One Shots

Just about the only thing I agree with Siddon about is the fact that a Thanos omnibus SHOULD be the 1970s material and THEN IG. Those other two stories, IW and IC, were awful, in my opinion. Terrible stories and the art wasn't very good, either.
    The rest of his assessments don't match up with mine, but that's what makes this thread great.
    His assessment of Alpha Flight is, in my opinion, way off, since Alpha Flight is one of Byrne's best series, even if he hated doing the book.

My copy came late last week and I'll jump on the love train for the Byrne FF AE. It's nice that it happens to contain some of the best issues of the Byrne run. If you were not interested in reading the full run via the omnibi, this isn't be a bad alternative.
    Reviews, Adventures, Advice, and Creative Works:

http://www.studioremarkable.com/

Quote Originally Posted by studioremark View Post
    My copy came late last week and I'll jump on the love train for the Byrne FF AE. It's nice that it happens to contain some of the best issues of the Byrne run. If you were not interested in reading the full run via the omnibi, this isn't be a bad alternative.
    Want to add that it also has awesome endpapers and an expanded cover gallery at the end of the book....truly a wonderful collection!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSun17 View Post
    Want to add that it also has awesome endpapers and an expanded cover gallery at the end of the book....truly a wonderful collection!
    I'll be honest. I don't actually READ the Artist Editions. I merely enjoy the amazing art. It may be the closest I'll ever get to owning some of that beautiful Byrne art.