Page 99 of 663 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109149199599 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 9944

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    Yeah it's really great. And whats even better is they're putting out trades to fill holes and continue where omnis have left off. I mean, not only are we getting Dennis O'Neil's Iron Man run but also (and this is something I initially missed) Tom DeFalco's Thor run, which comes directly after Simonson's. I wouldn't be surprised if we start getting Dennis O'Neil or Ann Nocenti's Daredevil in trades after the Miller omni comes out.
    Man, I would LOVE to get those Dennis O'Neil/Klaus Janson/William Johnson/David Mazzuchelli DDs in trade paperbacks... That was some great storytelling and the art, although it wasn't Frank Miller and the artists all suffered because they weren't, was great.
    Have you seen any indication that we are getting Tom DeFalco's Thor in TPB? I didn't know that was happening. I am super excited over the Iron Man TPB, though. Best. News. This. Week.

Quote Originally Posted by DonEMC View Post
    If you don't own a store (and I don't) then I wouldn't recommend ANYONE owning this much stuff. And that's me being completely honest about it.
    BUY WHAT YOU LIKE TO READ AND FORGET ABOUT THE REST.

Speaking of buying: I am impressed by the fact that Marvel is giving us a lot of the 1980s stuff (even if some comes in TPBs, some comes in OHCs and some comes in omnibuses). That was a good era for the House of Ideas, back when they still produced really great work that was imaginative. Most of today's stuff is building upon all that 1980s work. That was an era, much like the beginning of the Bronze Age, wherein the ideas were flowing and new characters were being created left and right. Not all of that was good, but it was good for the people creating comics to generate new ideas and new characters. We got some of the best Marvel and DC stories from the 1980s and alot of what we get today is because today's creators are standing on the shoulders of the 1980s giants.
    Agreed on the second part. I mean, I own WCA (not in omnibus format, sadly) and you can see the roots of so many aspects which are important to characters in it, especially Clint and his struggle with what he feels is right vs what is necessary.
    Bobbi Morse: has been on three Avengers teams, worked for SHIELD, evaded the Skrulls for years, received the super soldier serum and Infinity Formula. Still not even a limited series.

Man, I would LOVE to get those Dennis O'Neil/Klaus Janson/William Johnson/David Mazzuchelli DDs in trade paperbacks... That was some great storytelling and the art, although it wasn't Frank Miller and the artists all suffered because they weren't, was great.
    Have you seen any indication that we are getting Tom DeFalco's Thor in TPB? I didn't know that was happening. I am super excited over the Iron Man TPB, though. Best. News. This. Week.
    It's the "Thor Epic Collection: War of the Pantheons" book. Stan wrote 385 and Roger Stern wrote 394 with DeFalco writing pretty much everything around that so it stands to reason thats what the book is focused on. And Randall Frenz wrote #401 but he isn't credited so thats probably around where the book ends.

Edit: Did some quick math and I'm positive it's 383 to 400. 383 to 399 = 17 issues = 391 pages. Thor #400 = 65 pages. Total is 456 pages of 472 accounted fo. Add in a title page, a credits page, some bonuses and (if we're lucky) an introduction and it's right on the money.
    Last edited by CrazyOldHermit; 04-09-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Aaaaaand Hawkeye Vol 1 TPB is listed for sale. Should have known better that it would eventually go OHC with the hype.

Oh, and took me forever to find the Amazon listing, so here's a tip for those also having problems. I searched Hawkeye, Hawkeye hardcover, etc. only search it came up for was "Hawkeye Oversized".

It's the "Thor Epic Collection: War of the Pantheons" book. Stan wrote 385 and Roger Stern wrote 394 with DeFalco writing pretty much everything around that so it stands to reason thats what the book is focused on. And Randall Frenz wrote #401 but he isn't credited so thats probably around where the book ends.

Edit: Did some quick math and I'm positive it's 383 to 400. 383 to 399 = 17 issues = 391 pages. Thor #400 = 65 pages. Total is 456 pages of 472 accounted fo. Add in a title page, a credits page, some bonuses and (if we're lucky) an introduction and it's right on the money.
    Dude, those are some of the first Thor stories I ever read as a kid. My grandmother bought me some of them off the spinner racks from the corner gas station. I remember the battle with quicksand (I think that was her name...she was basically a female sandman), the team up with the black knight, and the lead in to ish 400. I didn't have them all; the newsstand distribution back then was spotty at best, but I did own a few. My cousin had 385 (I think that was the #...the Hulk issue) and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why the Hulk was gray and smart in his own book but green and dumb in Thor. I was a Hulk collector and only sampled a Thor issue here and there. No idea how these hold up today in re-reading. Might pick it up just to see! Thanks for sharing the pre-order link.

Wow. I am so excited over these volumes. I still need to pick up the second Mantlo Hulk TPB "Regression" and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 (not sure if I really want that one or not, but, the completist in my head keeps screaming that I NEED IT!).
    I was NOT a fan of the DeFalco run on first reading, but loved it later on. After Simonson, it was jarring to say the least. It felt like we'd made so much progress, then we were going back to the silver age. But, it is a great group of stories with great art. Frenz is a vastly underrated artist, much like Milgrom, in that he draws a good Marvel comic in the Marvel style and gives it that Marvel feel. When he went to DC, it was like Sal Buscema going to DC there in the twilight of his career ... it just didn't feel right.

Wow. I am so excited over these volumes. I still need to pick up the second Mantlo Hulk TPB "Regression" and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 (not sure if I really want that one or not, but, the completist in my head keeps screaming that I NEED IT!).
    I was NOT a fan of the DeFalco run on first reading, but loved it later on. After Simonson, it was jarring to say the least. It felt like we'd made so much progress, then we were going back to the silver age. But, it is a great group of stories with great art. Frenz is a vastly underrated artist, much like Milgrom, in that he draws a good Marvel comic in the Marvel style and gives it that Marvel feel. When he went to DC, it was like Sal Buscema going to DC there in the twilight of his career ... it just didn't feel right.
    I enjoyed Frenz Superman (except for the electric red/blue era....yeesh) and SB Batman. It was like Marvel style on DC heroes. It was a neat change of pace. And who can forget the most Bizarro moment ever in comic book history: Stan Lee having his Marvel contract terminated by Marvel mgmt and moving cross-town to work for DC! You gotta love the 1990s for the sheer amount of absurdity in all directions!

Sure wish DC would have gone ahead with the Just Imagine Stan Lee Omnibus. Must not have had the preorder #s. Keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    I enjoyed Frenz Superman (except for the electric red/blue era....yeesh) and SB Batman. It was like Marvel style on DC heroes. It was a neat change of pace. And who can forget the most Bizarro moment ever in comic book history: Stan Lee having his Marvel contract terminated by Marvel mgmt and moving cross-town to work for DC! You gotta love the 1990s for the sheer amount of absurdity in all directions!

Sure wish DC would have gone ahead with the Just Imagine Stan Lee Omnibus. Must not have had the preorder #s. Keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.
    DC is pretty quick to cut its losses and NOT print stuff they solicit if the pre-orders don't come in at the numbers they need.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    I enjoyed Frenz Superman (except for the electric red/blue era....yeesh) and SB Batman. It was like Marvel style on DC heroes.
    I tried my best to like Sal on Superboy and Batman, but it never clicked for me. And Frenz was good on Superman. Some of his work on Superman was the best of his career. I was just SO used to him working at Marvel that it was hard to get used to his DC stuff. I later warmed to it, but it's still not my favorite period for him.
    He had the CLASSIC Marvel style, especially when he was inked by Joe Sinnott. His Thor work is pretty doggone good, but his Spider-Man will always be my favorite work of his.
    I thought his Thor covers were dynamic, but the way he drew the hammer so small early on really was a turnoff. It got better as he drew more issues until he finally was one of the BEST Thor artists. DeFalco was solid throughout.

One thing I notice as I look through the active and sold omnibuses on eBay: Man, there sure are a heckuva lot more Balder-cover Simonson Thor Omnibuses than there are the Beta Ray Bill-covered version.
    It seems like there was a definite screw up on Marvel's part because I know the Beta Ray Bill cover would have sold a LOT more copies than the Balder cover. I love both those covers, but I wanted the Beta Ray Bill cover because he is such a big part of this book and one of the more popular characters in the Thor mythos.
    Of the many that have sold over the last three months, only three were the Beta Ray Bill covers. I'm surprised that one isn't selling for a much higher amount. I know that I have had several copies and I only have one Beta Ray Bill, which is part of my permanent collection.
    A quick note about the two dust jackets for the Thor Omnibus and why there may be more of the Thor/Balder jacket. It's my understanding that the BRB dust jacket was initially issued on copies that were ordered by comic shops. The Thor/Balder dust jacket was initially issued on copies sold outside the direct market--on-line stores, brick and mortar bookstores, and other outlets. The Omnibus went back to press twice that I know of, and both times, those printings were issued with the Thor/Balder dust jacket. I believe that the BRB jacket was only used for the first printing, and only for the direct market copies.

Best/Walter

That is never not cool.

Was that the Walter Simonson? Wow. That is just amazing. Didn't know he was a poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Simonson View Post
    A quick note about the two dust jackets for the Thor Omnibus and why there may be more of the Thor/Balder jacket. It's my understanding that the BRB dust jacket was initially issued on copies that were ordered by comic shops. The Thor/Balder dust jacket was initially issued on copies sold outside the direct market--on-line stores, brick and mortar bookstores, and other outlets. The Omnibus went back to press twice that I know of, and both times, those printings were issued with the Thor/Balder dust jacket. I believe that the BRB jacket was only used for the first printing, and only for the direct market copies.

Best/Walter
    Thanks for the insight, Mr. Simonson! I love both covers, but I really figured Marvel would have picked the BRB cover for the mass market edition. Thank you for taking time to post on here! I am loving your Indestructible Hulk art! I am actually buying the book just for your art (and Mark Waid's story wasn't bad, either).

Hey Walt just wanted to say I love your Thor and Fantastic Four !!

Just like to point out that DonEMC has posted collection pics in the previous thread, after many posters badgered him to do so iirc. It was a room stacked with comic boxes, not really practical for reading. Many of the people who post in here have ridiculous collections, I certainly haven't seen many confined to a single bookshelf.

And if you think he's the only one well guess again :

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...est-Collection