Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DC needs to take advantage of Steel.

I feel this guy is Supermans' only true equal. In terms of ethics, values, and how they conduct themselves.
    Theyre very different in the sense of theyre color, how one works off a tech base, and what not. But some how the opposites make them see more alike, since its not that they have in common.
    This could be a seriously awesome Duo.

Steel and Superman is a great concept, its pretty lame its not more explored. And just Steel in general, I'd love for him to get his own series, hes a really cool character.

His design is cool too, love the glorious red cape with the S shield and all the silver.

But, unfortunately, DC hasn't had that much luck with a Steel series in the past. There was a series after he was first introduced (back in 1994) that went for 52 issues and ended in 1998. There was also the one-shot issue back in 2011 that tied in with the Reign of Doomsday crossover from just before Flashpoint, but I have no idea how well that one did.
    He may have a few strikes against him because:
    (1.) He's an African-American character
    (2.) He's sometimes seen as a derivative of Superman
    (3.) He seems like a bit of a copy of Marvel's Iron Man (with a suit of armor that gives him abilities)

While that logically doesn't mean he can't be great character in an excellent solo-series, would enough comic readers be willing to part with their money for another Super-related book? And who would DC find to write and draw it to get enough people to give it a try?

(And I'd like to see DC give him a try again, but I'm also a bit realistic.)
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I'm not particularly keen on having a black hero needing to idolize Superman or any other hero.
    At this point, Steel should have his own symbol rather than trying to emulate the S shield.
    But really, in the New 52, Cyborg basically fills John Henry's role.

If we're gonna have a black hero in the Superman Family, it may as well be a black Kandorian.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd be down for a STEEL series.

Morrison did some solid stuff with him so far.

BANNED

Yeah we need more Steel. Give him the backup feature in Action Comics if not his own book. Make it about his mission to change the world with technology. So much potential.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But, unfortunately, DC hasn't had that much luck with a Steel series in the past. There was a series after he was first introduced (back in 1994) that went for 52 issues and ended in 1998. There was also the one-shot issue back in 2011 that tied in with the Reign of Doomsday crossover from just before Flashpoint, but I have no idea how well that one did.
    (3.) He seems like a bit of a copy of Marvel's Iron Man (with a suit of armor that gives him abilities)

While that logically doesn't mean he can't be great character in an excellent solo-series, would enough comic readers be willing to part with their money for another Super-related book? And who would DC find to write and draw it to get enough people to give it a try?

52 issues is a lot, most series don't come even close to that (yes, I know it was a different market back then, but it's a respectable number no matter what). Also, I don't think there's any way the character can be seen as NOT derivative of Superman, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

As long as he keeps his red cape and S on the chest I'm happy and would love more STEEL
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women." - Conan

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

I personally dont see anything wrong with him being black. I think it adds more to the duality. And that a person can be like Superman, I like that theyre different. I think when handled badly he is made to seem as what you said in 2.

Personally I dont see any relation with Iron Man no way. Other than some general things, but theyre completely different. Theres tons of character who share tons of traits but doesnt make them much a like.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdiggs View Post
    I'm not particularly keen on having a black hero needing to idolize Superman or any other hero.
    At this point, Steel should have his own symbol rather than trying to emulate the S shield.
    But really, in the New 52, Cyborg basically fills John Henry's role.

If we're gonna have a black hero in the Superman Family, it may as well be a black Kandorian.
    I've never seen Steel idolize Supreman hardcore or anything like that. Theyve been equals in my eyes. That S shield is what awesome. Not only does it stand for his own name but to share the same shield as the Super family seems like a big deal to me. He's as much a part of their family as the relatives.

I dont see anything in common with Cyborg other than being black.

I'd love Steel to be promoted more!! He always struck me as a science hero of sorts. Like I feel like his steel suit would only be just another in a long line of amazing things he has invented. The image of him in a pare of goggles, t-shirt with steel works logo on it, work gloves, & a forging hammer really just speaks to me!!

In the here and now I think Grant and Sholly have really set Steel up for something more than just being a guy in a nice suit. I like his way of thinking a lot more in the new 52. The idea that even though he saw that the world's superhero population was growing and he was actually the second publicly known, even after all that he sees that heroes are needed in more ways than just fighting crime. I could see this guy and the new Superman being best friends, equals even. Their interaction in the annual pretty much showed this.

I would love to see this amazing man come back as a part time superhero. A steel book could potentially be one of my absolute favorite DC books so long as they DON'T JUST MAKE HIM A SUPERHERO!!! He has so much potential it's ridiculous that he's not used more!!

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I would love to see this amazing man come back as a part time superhero. A steel book could potentially be one of my absolute favorite DC books so long as they DON'T JUST MAKE HIM A SUPERHERO!!! He has so much potential it's ridiculous that he's not used more!!
    Yeah--with how Fisch wrote him out at the end of the Action Comics Annual, I think he would be a shoo-in to play a role in something like The Movement.

He's okay. I wouldn't mind seeing him more. They need to use Shazam more

Infinity Inc forever

Quote Originally Posted by flottanna View Post
    He's okay. I wouldn't mind seeing him more. They need to use Shazam more
    ^AGREED. I always wondered why Billy Batson wasn't more of a focal point to stay in the public eye as being Superman's equal. If it's anybody (then some) to stand up to Supes in his own way, It's Captain Marvel.

Cavilling Metropolitan Self-DCeit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flottanna View Post
    He's okay. I wouldn't mind seeing him more.
    Pretty much this. He's an ok supporting character, no more, no less. Nothing that'd lead me to claim DC needs to take advantage of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    As long as he keeps his red cape and S on the chest I'm happy and would love more STEEL
    Hell yeah, I love his costume. And lets not forget that big ass HAMMER.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I'd love Steel to be promoted more!! He always struck me as a science hero of sorts. Like I feel like his steel suit would only be just another in a long line of amazing things he has invented. The image of him in a pare of goggles, t-shirt with steel works logo on it, work gloves, & a forging hammer really just speaks to me!!

In the here and now I think Grant and Sholly have really set Steel up for something more than just being a guy in a nice suit. I like his way of thinking a lot more in the new 52. The idea that even though he saw that the world's superhero population was growing and he was actually the second publicly known, even after all that he sees that heroes are needed in more ways than just fighting crime. I could see this guy and the new Superman being best friends, equals even. Their interaction in the annual pretty much showed this.

Finally someone who shares the same enthusiasm as me over the character.

I dont mind a little super hero-ism though, I agree with everything else though.