Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Chris Claremont run on uncanny x-men

I've recently decided that I am going to try and collect chris claremonts run on Uncanny x-men fo sentimental value as chris claremont I have to come realize created the X-men that I know and love.
    i was wondering does anyone have any tips for shopping for old comics online? is their any good online stores that ship to uk for this or is ebay the best place?
    I was also wondering about the black and whit spider man logos and if their significant?

thanks

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DhaaminX View Post
    I've recently decided that I am going to try and collect chris claremonts run on Uncanny x-men fo sentimental value as chris claremont I have to come realize created the X-men that I know and love.
    i was wondering does anyone have any tips for shopping for old comics online? is their any good online stores that ship to uk for this or is ebay the best place?
    I was also wondering about the black and whit spider man logos and if their significant?

thanks
    I built my Claremont run through some advantageous purchasing of high-grade issues on ebay 3-5 years ago. I got 95-100 for about $20 each in NM, 102-116 for about $10 each and 117up for about $5 each, all in NM. I only need to get a #101, first Phoenix. The deals are there but are maybe a bit scarcer to come by now and prices have been going up. You'll end up paying considerably more if you buy single issues from an online back-issue store...
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I'm working slowly on Claremont's run myself. I am slowly trying to peace it all together and have my goal a bit closer. Maybe this weekend when I hit a show I'll add some more to it.

I just need 29 issues to have Claremont's full X-Men run. I think the 2 toughest issues for me to find lately and due to the future movie is Uncanny X-Men 141 (1st part of Days of Future Past) . The other is Uncanny X-Men 101. Those 2 issues are the tough ones for me to find so far. I will eventually get them. But I'll be damned if I pay some insane price for them.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

FF purist-snob

I don't know if you're OK with reprints, but these are available generally much cheaper than the originals and went up well into the Claremont run (I think over a hundred issues).

Early issues of this also included a back-up story adding more to the reprint or a background story.

"Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

Agreed about the reprints. I have almost the entire Claremont run, split between the complete series of Classic X-Men reprints and original issues of Uncanny X-Men. If you just care about getting the story, getting the reprints is the way to go, IMO. Just to give you an idea of the price difference, on mycomicshop.com Classic X-Men #20 sells for about $1.30 in very fine grade, whereas Uncanny #114 (the issue reprinted in Classic #20) sells for $45.00 in the same grade.

Bear in mind that there is additional material added besides the backup stories. In most of the early reprint issues, they add a few pages to the main story as well. You can easily spot the new material, as it's usually a different artist that did the pages. If you're a purist, you may not care for the new material, but it's pretty easy to skip as well. I think after the Dark Phoenix issues, they stopped adding backups and additional pages, so at that point you're getting straight reprints.

I have nothing against the Classic X-Men run and reprints. I have 2-3 issues of it and as a young fan I picked them up . But I want the actual issues. The ones you can add in your collection and all. I want an actual long run of the X-Men . My dream run is 1-445 . One day I'll have that maybe.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I don't know if you're OK with reprints, but these are available generally much cheaper than the originals and went up well into the Claremont run (I think over a hundred issues).

Early issues of this also included a back-up story adding more to the reprint or a background story.

You also get some brilliant backup stories by John Bolton, who I somewhat sacriligiously feel is Claremont's best collaborator. (Yeah, over Byrne, Smith, and Davis... Bolton in the '80s was the man.)

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I have nothing against the Classic X-Men run and reprints. I have 2-3 issues of it and as a young fan I picked them up . But I want the actual issues. The ones you can add in your collection and all. I want an actual long run of the X-Men . My dream run is 1-445 . One day I'll have that maybe.
    I'll be honest: Can't see much of reason to collect it past 225.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Personally I drop it right around where Wolverine and Jubilee go on the run awhile in the 250's. Its there it seemed like Claremont really had no idea what he wanted to do.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I'd even bring it down to around #210 and the mutant massacre. I think that Chris, in an attempt to keep the book from becoming stale, decided that a big change in the status quo was in order. That was a brave and commendable attitude, as it certainly would have been easier to coast on previous successes and just keep the team as it was: Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Kitty, Wolverine and Rogue, with a rotating crew of guest stars from the earlier years of the X-Men.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, the change didn't work at all. The characters that replaced Kitty, Kurt and Peter were nowhere as interesting; think Kirk-Spock-McCoy vs Janeway-Paris-Tuvok. The then-current team of X-Men furthermore decided to go underground and cut ties to all their friends, with the flimsiest of justifications, turning their back on the integration part of Xavier's dream. At the time, I really was wondering why the X-Men would behave in such an odd way, as well as when the book would become interesting again. (Appropriately enough, I started caring anew when the "underground' thing was forgotten and we started dealing with the rich world of the X-Men again, what with Xavier's school Moira's lab, and the umpteen gazillion supporting characters that had been set aside for a few years).

So while I appreciate the courage it took to resolutely not keep doing the same thing again and again, I fear that the "new" thing wasn't up to par.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Personally I drop it right around where Wolverine and Jubilee go on the run awhile in the 250's. Its there it seemed like Claremont really had no idea what he wanted to do.
    To tell the truth, I dropped it not long after Byrne left. I'm not a big Byrne fan, but it seemed like after he was gone the book went off the rails and seemed directionless and unexciting.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    I'd even bring it down to around #210 and the mutant massacre.
    I agree completely.

You take out Kitty, Colossus and Nightcrawler and replace them with Dazzler, Havok, Psylocke and Longshot? Are you even serious? The Detroit League was ten times cooler than this hot mess.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    I'd even bring it down to around #210 and the mutant massacre. I think that Chris, in an attempt to keep the book from becoming stale, decided that a big change in the status quo was in order. That was a brave and commendable attitude, as it certainly would have been easier to coast on previous successes and just keep the team as it was: Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Kitty, Wolverine and Rogue, with a rotating crew of guest stars from the earlier years of the X-Men.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, the change didn't work at all. The characters that replaced Kitty, Kurt and Peter were nowhere as interesting; think Kirk-Spock-McCoy vs Janeway-Paris-Tuvok. The then-current team of X-Men furthermore decided to go underground and cut ties to all their friends, with the flimsiest of justifications, turning their back on the integration part of Xavier's dream. At the time, I really was wondering why the X-Men would behave in such an odd way, as well as when the book would become interesting again. (Appropriately enough, I started caring anew when the "underground' thing was forgotten and we started dealing with the rich world of the X-Men again, what with Xavier's school Moira's lab, and the umpteen gazillion supporting characters that had been set aside for a few years).

So while I appreciate the courage it took to resolutely not keep doing the same thing again and again, I fear that the "new" thing wasn't up to par.
    I disagree. I enjoyed the arc of them being "underground" or as its called "The Outback years" where the team was led by Wolverine essentially and he was training Rogue and others there. They were seemingly dead to everyone and it was a new X-Men. I liked seeing Polaris , Dazzler , Rogue , and others step in. It was a bit of a shake up and change after so long.

Edit - I meant Psylocke instead of Polaris there. Mind wasn't thinking clearly.
    Last edited by SUPERECWFAN1; 03-04-2013 at 07:55 AM.

I drop it even earlier--once Paul Smith leaves, so do I. I dumped my J.R. Jr. issues some time ago. It moved from grim-and-gritty to dreary-and-depressing, and that's not what I read comics for. There were a few good stories, sure, but not enough to justify my sticking around.

(There are a few issues just after #200 that have art by Alan Davis or Barry Windsor-Smith, and I kept those few. Just sayin'.)
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

I guess I gave up on his run as it was coming out. Just realizing this now. He got me into it and then pushed me out.