Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default ECCC: Secret Origins with Gerry Conway

The comics, television and movie writer discussed his career, the death of Gwen Stacy, creating the Punisher and more at the Emerald City Comicon.

Full article here.

I really defy Conway to come up with anything memorable that MJ ever did before Gwen died

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leocomix View Post
    I really defy Conway to come up with anything memorable that MJ ever did before Gwen died
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Nothing new?

Komodo
    Cloud 9
    Jewel
    Hardball
    Nick Fury Jr.
    The Future Foundation
    The Young Avengers
    The Order

The list goes on....

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Slam dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by capesNmasks View Post
    Nothing new?

Komodo
    Cloud 9
    Jewel
    Hardball
    Nick Fury Jr.
    The Future Foundation
    The Young Avengers
    The Order

The list goes on....
    Perhaps, but it's worth noting that at least half of those characters/concepts are outgrowths of already-existing characters/concepts. Not to knock them, because there's some great stories with those guys, (Komodo FTW), but it's somewhat different than creating an entirely new character from whole cloth.

OKAY.... i am going to give away my age by being the one to mention the elephant in the room. I admire Gerry and have enjoyed his writing for many years, but I have also noticed the distance that he has put between his "creation" the Punisher and Don Pendleton's Executioner, Mack Bolan. As a teenager, I read some of the Executioner series, and could not help but see the OBVIOUS similarities between Frank Castle and Mack Bolan. They are undeniable. In point of fact, in an early b & w Curtis publication, there is even an interview with Pendleton in the same issue as The Punisher. So at one time in comics history, it was acknowledged that inspiration, and arguably more, came from The Executioner. So to say that comics aren't producing anything new is a curious comment from Mr. Conway, given that Pendleton was gracious enough not to pursue legal action against plagiarism of his paperback warrior. I don't know what sort of agreement the parties came to regarding this, but at the very least, it seems as if "Inspired by characters created by Don Pendleton" would not have hurt anyone, and maybe created some cross-readership between the two. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Grantham View Post
    OKAY.... i am going to give away my age by being the one to mention the elephant in the room. I admire Gerry and have enjoyed his writing for many years, but I have also noticed the distance that he has put between his "creation" the Punisher and Don Pendleton's Executioner, Mack Bolan. As a teenager, I read some of the Executioner series, and could not help but see the OBVIOUS similarities between Frank Castle and Mack Bolan. They are undeniable. In point of fact, in an early b & w Curtis publication, there is even an interview with Pendleton in the same issue as The Punisher. So at one time in comics history, it was acknowledged that inspiration, and arguably more, came from The Executioner. So to say that comics aren't producing anything new is a curious comment from Mr. Conway, given that Pendleton was gracious enough not to pursue legal action against plagiarism of his paperback warrior. I don't know what sort of agreement the parties came to regarding this, but at the very least, it seems as if "Inspired by characters created by Don Pendleton" would not have hurt anyone, and maybe created some cross-readership between the two. Just my two cents.
    Thats fair comment but that still doesn't take away from the fact that Gerry has received nothing from the use of his creations from Marvel. Even if Marvel has the legal right to do this it doesn't say alot for their Corporate Responsibility, which they pay lip service to only.