Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Scarlet Witch, My #1 =) CJStriker's Avatar

By the way each book as been, since it is team books and most teams seem to have different members, not all, but mostly different rosters, with some tie in characters like Captain American, Wolverine, Thor, Iron Man, etc, it has been a good amount with each having a unique.

Besides, I am still waiting for my All Female Team Avengers Book, Then I will be satisfied.
    "While I live... and until I die... I am an Avenger !"

Scarlet Witch - Avengers Vol. 1 - #84

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Besides, I am still waiting for my All Female Team Avengers Book, Then I will be satisfied.
    Well, you do have this.

Back in the day, comic book companies put out many titles that stood alone and told entertaining stories. Marvel came along and set those stories in a close-as-you-can-get-and-still-have-super-heroes universe which made the stories even more entertaining because the characters in them were now relatable.

Then came the Kree-Skrull War, which didn't make the world that the Marvel U. was set in entirely unbelievable, but did expand the possibilities there quite a bit. It was also an "event" story that took several issues of the Avengers to tell. During this time, Marvel was expanding, putting out more titles with new characters, but generally keeping their "real-world" feel and putting out probably the best, most creative stories in the company's history. During this time, Marvel was able to do "events" and "cross-overs" without making it feel like everyone in their universe had super-powers.

Then somewhere along the way, the previously "niche" title, X-Men, became a huge hit and suddenly, they were introducing more and more mutants. It started to seem like there were more mutants in the world than there were normal people. Along with this, creators started creating new characters for the sake of creating new characters, sometimes with the new characters taking up more pages of the title character's book than the title character.

This has only gotten worse as time has gone by and now we are stuck with a world that bears no resemblance to the real world. Marvel's world is now more fantastic than DC's Metropolis has ever been. The stories are more far-fetched than any of Gardner Fox's Justice League stories. Someone mentioned there being more Avengers than there are Legionaires now, and that's a pretty apt comparison as to what has happened to the Marvel Universe. (And that's not a dig at DC or the LSH -- LSH is my favorite super-team of all time.)

The Marvel Universe is no longer the Marvel Universe (I guess that's why the fanboys call it the "616" now, because it's not the same universe it used to be) and Marvel has lost its identity as a result. Sure they sell a lot of books, especially Avengers titles, but overall, they are selling a fraction of what they sold back in the 60's and 70's. New readers can't pick up a Marvel title and instantly identify with the world and its setting the way they used to. And new readers can't just go to the store and pick up the Avengers like they used to. Who are the Avengers? What are they? They have no identity any longer and people who are new to the world of comic books would only be confused if they tried to figure it out.

Marvel and DC pay lip service to the idea of drawing in new readers, but the fact is that they only create for the audience they already have. An audience that is getting older and getting smaller.

Too many Avengers? Yes. Saturation? Probably not, since Marvel fanboys never get tired of more and more and bigger and bigger. But will the current Marvel Universe with its limitess number of super-powered characters, convoluted, confusing story-lines, and unrecognizable setting attract enough new readers to keep the comic book industry healthy and relevant? I don't think so.

Scarlet Witch, My #1 =) CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Well, you do have this.

I know S/D, I will also have the X-men Female book, but sorry, I'm Greedy for a 3rd, LOL.
    "While I live... and until I die... I am an Avenger !"

Scarlet Witch - Avengers Vol. 1 - #84

Saturation point? Are you f kidding me?
    How many there are avengers book?
    A+X
    Avengers
    New Avengers
    Secret Avengers
    Dark Avengers (RIP)
    Young Avengers
    Avengers Arena
    Uncanny Avengers
    Ultimates
    + of course if you want: Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor

X-Men:
    Uncanny X-Men
    All New X-Men
    Wolverine X-Men
    Astonishing X-Men
    A+X
    Uncanny X-Force
    Cable X-Force
    Wolverine
    Savage Wolverine
    Gambit
    X-Men Legacy
    Age of Apocalypse (RIP) (Beat this one Avenger fans)
    X-Treme X-men (RIP)
    Uncanny Avengers
    Ultimate X-Men
    Upcoming - Ultimate Wolverine
    Wolverine MAX
    X-Factor
    X-Men

You see the difference? If not, then try to count.
    Say No to decompressed storytelling!

Bellechere for the win!!!

European Union: XXI Century New USSR
    I am anti-EU

The only thing it is really impacting is The Marvel Universe Continuity, but they have been edging to destroying it with all the Wolverine appearances. But now it is a lot of the major players. Good luck trying to figure where Cap is at any moment, Wolverine, Iron Man or weather we have Peter Parker or Spock in whichever event of the Month. They will need a line wide reboot in a few years just to clean everything up.

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Well, you do have this.

Puzzled as to why they didn't hit that with an Avengers label too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    Puzzled as to why they didn't hit that with an Avengers label too.
    Fearless Avengers does have a nice ring to it, but then again, Bunn said this is a non-team. And I doubt he wanted Avengers connection that strong.

Quote Originally Posted by chakal View Post
    Saturation point? Are you f kidding me?
    How many there are avengers book?
    A+X
    Avengers
    New Avengers
    Secret Avengers
    Dark Avengers (RIP)
    Young Avengers
    Avengers Arena
    Uncanny Avengers
    Ultimates
    + of course if you want: Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor

X-Men:
    Uncanny X-Men
    All New X-Men
    Wolverine X-Men
    Astonishing X-Men
    A+X
    Uncanny X-Force
    Cable X-Force
    Wolverine
    Savage Wolverine
    Gambit
    X-Men Legacy
    Age of Apocalypse (RIP) (Beat this one Avenger fans)
    X-Treme X-men (RIP)
    Uncanny Avengers
    Ultimate X-Men
    Upcoming - Ultimate Wolverine
    Wolverine MAX
    X-Factor
    X-Men

You see the difference? If not, then try to count.
    And I did kind of state that this was getting as bad as the X-books. I believe that a couple of the Avengers are coming out twice a month, so that would bring the Avengers closer to the X-Men. Plus I wouldn't count solo book as team books.

Plus this summer there's the Fantastic Avengers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    Plus this summer there's the Fantastic Avengers.
    ...tell me you are joking.

Lurkish Member Captain Jibberish's Avatar
    Near Lake Superior. But not in it. It's cold in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctuh View Post
    The only thing it is really impacting is The Marvel Universe Continuity, but they have been edging to destroying it with all the Wolverine appearances. But now it is a lot of the major players. Good luck trying to figure where Cap is at any moment, Wolverine, Iron Man or weather we have Peter Parker or Spock in whichever event of the Month. They will need a line wide reboot in a few years just to clean everything up.
    I hate that people keeping bringing this up. One of the smartest things Marvel has ever done is not having a line wide reboot. Throw out all of the old Stan Lee and Jack Kirby stories, Roger Stern and JRJ's Amazing Spider-Man, Walt Simonson's Thor, Kurt Busiek's Avengers and so many other classic runs and stories so the current crop of writers can retell all the familiar origin stories? NO WAY! I haven't read any DC comics in years, and when I heard they were doing YET ANOTHER reboot, it killed any interest I had in catching up on the Distinguished Competition. It's all so unnecessary and disrespectful to all the writers, their stories and the fans of the stories that came before.
    Please, Please, Please Marvel, no reboots!
    Last edited by Captain Jibberish; 03-02-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Immortal Weapon Prince Of Orphans's Avatar

It's not so much the books that are making things seem oversaturated as much as the marketing. And I guess it also has to do with the fact that a lot of Avengers characters are popping up in Avengers books too. Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye and Wolverine are all in 2 or more Avengers books. Seems like it's more the characters that are getting oversaturated if anything.
    Follow @MarvelWOWFacts on Twitter!

It's not over saturation, they are giving you options to buy the type of Avengers comic you want to enjoy. Don't like Hickman's Avengers? No problem, buy something else. Why are you complaining about having options?

I think the over saturation is because of the uncomfortable Marvel NOW scenario. It feels like another reality, not the 616, steeped in an era where super heroes were unquestioned. Has anybody seen the POTUS after AVX? Maybe we are seeing an Alternate Earth, and the 616 is somewhere else, because this set of stories seems a little off from a few stand points?
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.