Thumbs up Doctor Who Prisoner of Time #2 Preview/Discussion/Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by CBR
    Preview: Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time #2

Our yearlong celebration of Doctor Whos 50th anniversary continues! Oh my giddy aunt! Its time to break out the recorders, as the Second Doctor takes the spotlight in this issue of a 12-part epic adventure featuring all 11 incarnations of the Doctor!
    This preview looks great! Is anyone else picking this up tomorrow? I'm excited about it. I just noticed after BBC America airs there special of a classic Doctor serial they release the next issue of Prisoner of Time. Lovin' this 50th anniversary stuff.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

I looked at this in the store and it looked pretty good, but I didn't pick it up because I hadn't gotten the first one. I too would be interested in any comments from people who've actually read it. Perhaps I should go back and get them both?
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Thumbs up Doctor Who Prisoner of Time #2 Review/Spoilers

I had a feeling when the T.A.R.D.I.S. materialized in a room full of police boxes there would be trouble.
    spoilers:
    So basically The Voraxx kidnap Jamie after The Doctor refuses their outright offer to buy him. Then it's up to Zoe and The Doctor to rescue him and at the same time dismantle the slave trade run by The Voraxx. There is also an appearance by The Ice Warriors in this issue who are freed by The Doctor and rally the slaves in revolt. Once again The Doctor is separated from his companions at the end of the issue.
    end of spoilers

I like the art in this issue, so many great looking aliens. This is by far my favorite panel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doctor Who Prisoners of Time 2 page 5.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	109606

Something I'm sure Matt Smith himself would appreciate.

My only complaint is that it went by too quickly. I do look forward to reading the entire run #1-12 once they've released the final issue. I think it was a really good idea to do this series for the 50th anniversary. It helps fans get acquainted with classic Doctors and gives them a fun adventure to follow along with. I hope Frobisher eventually makes an appearance in this series at some point but I'll have to wait and see. Looking forward to the Third Doctor in the next issue as well as the Jon Pertwee special on BBC next month.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    I hope Frobisher eventually makes an appearance in this series at some point but I'll have to wait and see.
    Technically he was in issue #1.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Technically he was in issue #1.
    I meant as a companion featured throughout an entire issue (fingers crossed). But your right and it brings up an interesting thought. The shadowy figure whoever it was looking at the screens I think is targeting The Doctors companions throughout time. He has already abducted Chesterton, Barbara, Vicki and now Jamie and Zoe. So clearly the villain (whoever he may be) is targeting the companions. I'm looking forward to finding out why but we most likely won't until issue #12.

I missed out on the first issue when it was released and so picked it up with the second on Wednesday. I'm glad it worked out this way because truth be told, I'm not sure I would have picked up issue two on the basis of issue one. Though he's my favorite Doctor after Tom Baker, this didn't really sound like William Hartnell to me - or Ian, Barbara or Vicki for that matter. The lines were too expository and the Doctor was uncharacteristically talkative and cordial. The repetitiveness of his messing up Chesterton's name was a little over the top (at one point, twice in as many panels) and his decision to resolve the situation by having everyone resort to fisticuffs didn't feel right though I realise there was precedent for it from his era.

Now, the second issue was incredible! Troughton's "It is a large universe, Zoe and there is still much in it that makes me despair", Jaime's "Oh I'm a fine piece of bait, aren't I?", and actually every piece of dialogue sounded as if it had come from the mouths of these characters. Troughton's mercurial but strongly ethical nature, the companion's ability to take everything in stride, and hey Ice Warriors! Perfectly written and beautifully drawn - this issue felt like a lost episode had been rediscovered. I'm really looking forward to the next issue.

this was a really great issue. as someone else said, the dialogue felt very natural to the characters. and the Ice Warriors! i love those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    I looked at this in the store and it looked pretty good, but I didn't pick it up because I hadn't gotten the first one. I too would be interested in any comments from people who've actually read it. Perhaps I should go back and get them both?
    The main reason to pick up the first issue is the set up with the villain. If I'm not mistaken all of it was featured in the preview? Other than that you'd probably be safe just picking up the issues that include your favorite Doctors along with the final issue. That's if they don't expand on the villain in future issues before that.