Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you consider illegal streaming movie websites the same as pirating?

I'm talking about websites that stream movies that are still playing in theatres or haven't been released on DVD.

While the person is not making a copy for themselves, they are at the same time watching something for free that shouldn't be available to the public.

Just as bad as pirating? Better?

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur72 View Post
    I'm talking about websites that stream movies that are still playing in theatres or haven't been released on DVD.

While the person is not making a copy for themselves, they are at the same time watching something for free that shouldn't be available to the public.

Just as bad as pirating? Better?

You answered your own question. They got the movie to "stream" the same way that bootleg DVD's are gotten.

So the answer is YES.

I don't pirate music, but I don't fuss myself about those who do. The RIAA are a pack of cunts and artist don't make shit off album sales anyway. The same pretty much goes for movies.

Waiting for Gwens BND Winter Bolt's Avatar

Same illegality as if leeched imo. I believe in the three peeps. The majority that were never going to buy the shit anyway, those that do purchase/support a low to high percentage of their pulls, and those that through some means just don't have the legal means to obtain in a country or the cost is just utterly insane.

In a nutshell, I don't care about pirates mostly because of peep one and peep two. They were never going to buy it and there is a portion of the community that will support and buy it and those are sales that would otherwise never have been made in the first place. So, in a digital age where the evolution of easily traded information can only be curtailed if we went back to 56k dial up / cable, I can only say, let them squeeze every penny with their DRM and DMCA shakedowns until they embrace a star trek like era of free information or in other words, it all becomes one in the ether baby, nothing gunna stop it.

I certainly got bigger things like the screwed up government and world on my mind besides if Cindy Lou was streaming Argo next door. Mind you Mr Sue You does care and if possible wants to fine Cindy Lou 100K+ with time served. Gotta make an example out of her right? And knowing is half the battle.
    pew pew pew

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Bolt View Post
    I certainly got bigger things like the screwed up government and world on my mind besides if Cindy Lou was streaming Argo next door. Mind you Mr Sue You does care and if possible wants to fine Cindy Lou 100K+ with time served. Gotta make an example out of her right? And knowing is half the battle.
    I don't think that's as much of possibility as it once was considering for several years running the RIAA spent nearly 20 million bringing lawsuits against individual downloaders/uploaders and recovered around 400 grand in the process. That's not all together, that's per year. Besides, there's a huge digital market now that was in its infancy at the time. The record industry is actually making money from downloads for a change. That's why recent years have seen more of a focus on passing restrictive laws that would allow them to strictly penalize those that distribute copyrighted material on the internet. That hasn't worked out too well for them so far either.

Record comapanies, book publishers, movie studios, they're either going to have to learn how to adapt to and work with the rapidly growing, changing and evolving digital marketplace or they'll be left in the dust and they'll deserve to be.
    Last edited by Donald M.; 02-26-2013 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    I don't pirate music, but I don't fuss myself about those who do. The RIAA are a pack of cunts and artist don't make shit off album sales anyway. The same pretty much goes for movies.
    With more and more artists making a go without record companies, they are making more money. Especially on digital sales. It's just them and the host site (iTunes, Amazon, etc.) splitting the money.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Record comapanies, book publishers, movie studios, they're either going to have to learn how to adapt to and work with the rapidly growing, changing and evolving digital marketplace or they'll be left in the dust and they'll deserve to be.
    It isn't a popular opinion in some circles, but I honestly believe that a large portion of pirating in the primary markets (US, Europe, Australia, etc) comes from publishers and distributors having absolutely no idea what kind of audience they are trying to sell their product to. In most cases, I think people would be willing to pay for something if the circumstances were right, but the majority of the time they aren't. Either a product is priced too high, or items aren't distributed or packaged in a way to maximize appeal. Then you also have the shifting attitude about things, especially music, or at least in my case. I no longer view music as a product. I see it as a service. I listen to streaming radio most of the time, like Pandora or Slacker, and I will gladly drop down $50 to $100 on a concert ticket to see a show. But I pretty much refuse to buy an album. Period.
    Writers before artists.
    Artists before concepts.
    Concepts before characters.

To watch something through an illegal streaming is legal in Sweden.

BANNED

I sort of feel obligated when i botleg to many movies from a certain region. I usually have to buy a bovie from the region after a while.

there will need to be some sort of compromise with movie and tv studios....like someone above said, more musical artists are just going right to digial but you need money up front for movies and TV so there has to be an adjustment to the business model
    Support your local roller derby league

http://gawker.com/5986813/welcome-to...load-illegally

Hope you downloaded enough episodes of Game of Thrones Sunday night to last you the rest of your life; starting this week, the five major internet service providers (AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Verizon and Time Warner Cable) have free rein to harass you with notices, block you from visiting certain websites, and even slow down your Internet speed if you are found (or suspected) to participate in illegal downloading.

They tried that shit up here in Canada. I live in Ontario and the two big telecoms Bell and Rogers were throttling traffic. The CRTC ruled that they could not and the speeds have been incredible at all times ever since. There are ways around though, VPN's are the best route and to a degree Peerblock and anon IP programs are also worth a shot.

The other big bullshit that the companies are pulling is over charging for data use. It boils down to an error in the counter in the modems. I have been with Rogers for close to 11 years and never in that time did I come close to my 80 G limit. I have my own data counter independent of Rogers daily usage counter. Needless to say when they attempted to charge me for the extra 20 Gigs and gave me the bullshit of a virus on my computer (sorry Rogers only have Apple devices) and I showed them my own counter, they agreed to reverse the charge and advised that I should swap out the modem.

Needless to say, since I called them on their bullshit approx 4 months ago there has not been an issue since.

Not sure if anyone else has encountered this

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Parnell View Post
    They tried that shit up here in Canada. I live in Ontario and the two big telecoms Bell and Rogers were throttling traffic. The CRTC ruled that they could not and the speeds have been incredible at all times ever since. There are ways around though, VPN's are the best route and to a degree Peerblock and anon IP programs are also worth a shot.
    the difference is it has A LOT of support from the right people in the US, and all of the internet providers are on board with it

to the point where it is going to be included in future Terms of Service agreements

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    the difference is it has A LOT of support from the right people in the US, and all of the internet providers are on board with it

to the point where it is going to be included in future Terms of Service agreements
    That really sucks. I get the battle against illegal downloading but it kills anyone using a cloud based service or playing online games that require significant usage and contant speeds.