Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Death of a Hero

I'm pretty sure that Peter and Gwen listened to the Jesus Christ Superstar soundtrack during the Lee/Romita era, and I think I recall an earlier reference by Peter to Ella Fitzgerald.
    --
    Rob Allen

In Marvel Team-Up Annual #4, Spider-Man asks Killgrave the Purple Man, who has just ordered Our Hero to hang from a lamppost while reciting Shakespeare, if he can recite Elvis Costello lyrics instead as he knows more of those. Quite the hipster, that Spidey.

Cei-U!
    My summoning is true!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Again concerning the fallout of Damian Wayne's death, Batman Inc #9 is very well done. It also contains the funeral scenes for The Knight. So as far as Requiem goes considering overall quality people are best off only reading Batman & Robin #18 and Batman Inc #9.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

The fallout after the death of Cliff Baker was handled very well. The scenes before the funeral were sad but I wasn't as emotional moved as I was when Buddy's entire family dies in the previous volume. I found this particular page from Animal Man #20 (Volume 1) to be much more powerful than anything found in Animal Man #19 (Volume 2). That being said I would recommend both issues.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Animal Man 20 page 15.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	112261
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Animal Man Annual #2 shows Buddy still reeling from the death of Cliff.
    It's absolutely brilliant and touching.

Big Hairy Member JeffreyWKramer's Avatar

One I can't believe anyone has mentioned yet is Supergirl's death in Crisis on Infinite Earths. She died a death fitting of a superhero, giving her life in a fight she couldn't have had any realistic chance of winning, but knowing she had to try anyhow. The other characters' response to her death was touching, as was the eulogy at her funeral.

Others that have really touched me have already been mentioned. Among them:
    - Krypto in "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"
    - Lana Lang and Jimmy Olson's deaths, also in that story.
    - Captain Marvel, THE DEATH OF CAPTAIN MARVEL graphic novel. Mar-Vell was a favorite of mine, and his death, and the way he was portrayed as facing it, remains touching all these years later. It impacted me profoundly, possibly moreso than any other single comic, in part because of my age (I was a senior in high school). Even though Mar-Vell was a fictional character, on some level I believe that comic helped me manage better than would otherwise have been the case when my stepfather died later that year of a sudden heart attack.
    - Phoenix. At the time, it was unprecedented. If only Marvel had left that one alone.
    - Karate Kid. A guy fights an opponent he can't hope to defeat, but in doing so he saves the life of the woman he loves. What's not to like about that?
    My Cooking Blog!

KRAMER'S LAWS:
    1) Most people are stupid.
    2) Most people who aren't stupid often behave as if they were stupid.
    3) Many people who are not stupid nonetheless believe a lot of astonishingly stupid things.

“really? isnt the bible millions of years old?” – curefreak
    “Yep. It was originally written by a stegosaurus and a fern.” – Dan Apodaca

NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar

Off hand, I’d say the most significant comic book death for me has to be Gwen Stacy's. She's not a hero, I know, but no other comic book death has ever had such an impact on me or continues to have such resonance.

What's interesting with me though, is that I didn't read it at the time. I read it via UK black & white reprints in the early '80s, by which time Gwen had already been dead almost a decade. Nonetheless, even as a youngster, I realized that the hero's girlfriend dying in this way was different to what happened in most comics.

The iconic panels below were very shocking to me as a young kid and are consequently burned into my psyche. I don't want to overstate things, but I'm really not exaggerating when I say that these panels of Gwen's neck breaking (and that's certainly how I interpreted what had happened as an 8 year old) resonate with me in a way that is usually associated with some pivotal childhood moment. The Night Gwen Stacy Died is, and continues to be, very powerful stuff.

MY PULL LIST
    Astro City • Kick-Ass 3 • Star Wars: Dark Times • Superior Spider-Man

And then there's the death of the Red Bee in All-Star Squadron in the 1980s.

Even though he had no more bees in his belt buckle, he kept on fighting until the end.

One of the first "no going back" deaths in superhero comics occured in 1966, when the hero Menthor sacrificed his life to save his friends from a villainous ambush. Art was by Ditko and Wood, and the JOURNAL comments that it was a Dan Adkins script:

"One of his scripts, “A Matter of Life and Death” (T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents #7), featured Menthor giving his life in a battle with the evil subterranean Warlord, causing a group of outraged fans to invade the Tower offices in Manhattan to protest the superhero’s death, which was a very unusual occurrence back in the 1960s."

It's a strong story, even given that Menthor wasn't a particularly beguiling character. After Menthor dies, the THUNDER agents retaliate in "take no prisoners" mode, and though you don't see blood and guts, it's obvious that the good guys are reducing the bad guys to mulch.