Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Honestly, I don't. I often like knowing the ending because it helps you appreciate the work of the creators leading up to the reveal a little more. All of those movies you listed?, I knew in advance and it was never an issue. I didn't complain when the ship sunk at the end of Titanic or when the guy was killed at the end of The Passion either. Think about any one of the book to film adaptions you've seen where you've read the book before hand. Knowing parts of the story just puts a different spin on seeing how it unravels, and one that I can usually work with. But then again I also like watching movies from halfway through and I know people who find that inconceivable and intolerable, so..you know...different people, etc
    Some people can appreciate the journey more than the outcome. I understand those not wanting it spoiled but DC is smart. They know fans knowing Robin is going to die will sell books. Marvel was forthright in telling fans Peter Parker was going to die. Didn't hurt sales of ASM #700 or Superior Spider-Man #1 any despite a lot of controversy and the whole leak thing. I do understand not wanting something that is supposed to be a surprise spoiled though. That was the huge advantage of the pre-internet comic collecting days. You could still be surprised without it coming at you like it does on the internet. You almost have to avoid the internet entirely it if you like comic news pages on Facebook and the like. If DC is promoting it this way they are doing it for a good reason - sales. The few who won't buy it because it's spoiled will be heavily outweighted by those who buy it who didn't buy the title before the death. A lot of those complaining about the spoiler will end up buying anyways. They might say they won't but almost certainly MOST will buy. Surprises don't sell as well as DC taking a huge move like this and telling you about it in advance.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joecooler2u View Post
    Some people can appreciate the journey more than the outcome.
    I count myself among these. I've been enjoying many different kinds of storytelling (across many different media) for thirty-plus years now, and there really aren't any endings or twists that can really, really surprise me anymore (it's all been done before). Moreover, I've never lived for the twist (and it frankly annoys me when storytellers throw an improbable and incompatible twist at the end of an otherwise well-crafted story just for the sake of having a twist - a trope that modern writers seemingly can't resist); I'm much more interested in how the road to the destination is paved than the destination itself.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

Occult Chef Detective SLeuth Swordsman's Avatar

this cant be happening.....my favourite character in the DC universe is going to die.. WHY GRANT WHY!?!?!?! i'll never forgive you grant, never!

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    Well this issue was all sold out already weeks ago,haha!!! SO a story 2 days prior to release won't sell more, only it may get some more people to buy it, which will lead to shortages and someone who has been reading the whole story may not have a copy left! (esp if they are not pulling it)
    They'll be sure to go back for 2nd 3rd and 4th printings if the "news" gets them the kind of audience they are hoping for which it probably will. In fact they have to be prepping for this kind of reaction. It's DC's answer to Peter Parker dying. Don't know which was planned first as Morrison probably did have this planned all along and maybe Marvel did too with Peter Parker. Not too much of a coincidence as Batman and Captain America died around the same time and even their deaths were very similar in that when they were dead they traveled through time or whatever. spoilers:
    I think there is some kind of clone of Damien, forget which book I read it (or was it a Preview?) but he's advanced in age and mostly evil.
    end of spoilers Don't think the Batman and Robin title is going anywhere. Anything from having a female Robin (which DC might do for the hype they'd get from the news) or having Red Robin step in and be Batman's Robin could be done. Given that Batman should be grieving and not wanting to risk another life especially a newbie Robin I'm thinking Tim will be back as Red Robin (or was he ever Batman's Robin? I can't tell with DC's New52 continuity).

Quote Originally Posted by Red&Green View Post
    If the whole mind-transference takes place (which I wouldn't know whether to be shocked [because I guessed it]. or appalled), it would be Morrison's swan song on super hero comics, by giving Batman a new arch nemesis, in form of a re-incarnation of Ra's Al Ghul, but also carries the emotional impact that it is in the body of his son, who is now his greatest rival.
    If Ra's were to be transferred to Damien's body (whether the real "dead" version brought back from the Lazarus Pits or the older clone version I saw somewhere) and make Batman's archnemesis be in his son's body that would be an amazing mind-fuck. It'd be Stuperior Spider-Man done right. How could he possibly fight his son, clone or not? Even if he knew it was Ra's in the body could a parent, even Bruce/Batman, ever get over that being their son? Look at how messed up he was fighting Jason Todd when he first came back. If it were Damien it'd be that much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I count myself among these. I've been enjoying many different kinds of storytelling (across many different media) for thirty-plus years now, and there really aren't any endings or twists that can really, really surprise me anymore (it's all been done before). Moreover, I've never lived for the twist (and it frankly annoys me when storytellers throw an improbable and incompatible twist at the end of an otherwise well-crafted story just for the sake of having a twist - a trope that modern writers seemingly can't resist); I'm much more interested in how the road to the destination is paved than the destination itself.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

As you said at this point when you read as long as some of us have it really doesn't surprise as much anymore. You see the patterns and know the paths it can take, I myself can't help but think of the possibilities. The thing is the journey. Plus just cause you know the ending doesn't mean you can't like it as well. A lot of people grew up knowing Jean Grey dies at the end of the Dark Phoenix Saga, most of us started reading it in trade or classic X-Men and knew the ending already but enjoyed it anyway (or both in my case as I liked the backups in Classic and new covers as well). I don't mind twists as long as it doesn't hinge on an inplausible, or out-of-character, moment.

Kind of bizarre jerk move on DC's part. I mean, we all KNEW something important would happen but it's annoying they'd outright say it.

But at least it sets the clear difference between this and Death of the Family. DOTF promised change and gave nothing whereas Inc will actually change something massive.

Quote Originally Posted by Officersmile1466 View Post
    But at least it sets the clear difference between this and Death of the Family. DOTF promised change and gave nothing whereas Inc will actually change something massive.
    Yes, with Damian's death and it's long-term consequences, the groundbreaking conclusion of Snyder's Death of The Family (kids won't come to dinner today) seems more insignificant than ever...

If I weren't so lazy, I 'd make a cartoon workforce sign with a bat symbol on it that says "4,000 days without a Robin killed" rotating to read just "0 days"

Mind you I'd have to do better math as to how many days since Steph "died" in that issue in 2004.

Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

On the one hand, Morrison created the character and almost certainly planned to kill him from the start, and I think we can trust Morrison to give him a 'good death.' If this had been the last story before the reboot (plus a few aftermath issues) and then Damian didn't exist in the Nu52 I'd support it. It would be a great place to end the story of Batman if done right. But this isn't 'the end,' for Batman. It's way too soon in the new universe for a move like this, and we know there's another Robin coming down the line who's likely doomed to failure because DC, in addition to alienating a lot of potential fans of the next Robin by killing Damian, will find more ways to screw up the introduction of the next Robin.

My advice to DC is, don't rush the introduction of Robin #5 (6?). Give it at least a year. Then, don't repeat the story of 'A Lonely Place of Dying.' That will only piss off more people, myself included.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    My advice to DC is, don't rush the introduction of Robin #5 (6?). Give it at least a year. Then, don't repeat the story of 'A Lonely Place of Dying.' That will only piss off more people, myself included.
    You'd hope they'd do that but with so-called "Fan Favorite" Harper Row lurking in the wings, you have to worry about how fast they'll force her in to assume a new role.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnhop View Post
    It's ridiculous lol But they're totally earnest and its happened too many times to be a fluke.

--

Also:

What will they do without him? q___q
    A)Steaks
    B)Roams the grounds of Wayne Manor, eventually becomeing a ghost hound
    C)Sack + river
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

DC selling their loyal fans out for a few extra sales to people (hearing the news) that probably don't even know who THIS Robin even is? Never sir! NEVER!

newsarama explain what is happening to Batman & Robin:

Now that Damian is gone, readers will see an all silent issue in March's Batman and Robin #18, as writer Peter Tomasi relies completely on his collaborator, artist Patrick Gleason, to tell the story of Batman's heartbreaking loss.

Following that issue, Batman and Robin will show Bruce Wayne going through the five stages of grief. And in the absence of the "Robin" named in the comic's title, Batman will team up with various members of the Bat-family over the coming months (for example, issue #19 will be called Batman and Red Robin, issue #20 is Batman and Red Hood, etcetera.)
    This has all been planned well in advance.

Newsarama: Pete, I bet you knew this was coming for awhile, huh?

Peter Tomasi: I did indeed, Vaneta. A few years actually. That's why I kept referring to it as our uber-story every time we spoke.
    Last edited by Sheldipez; 02-26-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldipez View Post
    newsarama explain what is happening to Batman & Robin:

So this has all been well planned in advance.
    Wow, Im still on board but feel pretty numb. This sucks, but hope this is done well.