Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    29,010

    Default REVIEW: G.I Joe, #1

    "G.I. Joe" #1 gives the brand a reboot at the hands of writer Fred Van Lente and artist Steve Kurth, who reintroduce the Joes for a weak series debut.


    Full review here.

  2. #2
    Non-fanboy C. Earl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO. U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,732

    Default

    Definitely would have rated it higher. I really liked the art and felt the book did a nice job reintroducing older Joes and introducing new ones on this new team. It may be not as dark or as edgy for some, but I think it's in the spirit of the original Marvel book, while still very much in the IDW continuity.
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

  3. #3

    Default

    They could have solved it by giving the main GI Joe to Mike Costa, but this idea by Van Lente is just terrible. It could fit in with the world of the 80s cartoon, but it definitely doesn't work in the current post-9/11 world embraced by the IDW Joe Comics. The idea of GI Joe going public and turning themselves into a marketing brand, it goes against everything that was established in all the previous work that IDW did with the comic. It even goes against what we know about Cobra. This isn't even a war of ideology where PR could work, Cobra just wants to screw everything including the world and upend the table for everyone. It's not like Americans vs Soviets.
    Last edited by Hound of UIster; 02-21-2013 at 12:25 PM.

  4. #4
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,130

    Default

    It's the first truly awful GI Joe comic in years. How long before Dixon returns and fixes this book?

  5. #5
    Non-fanboy C. Earl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO. U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,732

    Default

    Doesn't need fixing by Dixon because this is a different book with a different mission. It was Cobra that negatively outed the Joes to the public in the last series and this new team was assembled in response to that. Meanwhile, another Joe team--with a frequently changing lineup that will be featured in the upcoming Special Missions book--will continue to operate covertly.

    I think it's great that there are two Joe teams, and Van Lente's book seems to be the one geared for big, over-the-top action while Dixon's more of in the shadows kind of thing.
    Last edited by C. Earl; 02-21-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

  6. #6
    Mutant Messiah THALASTDRAGON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    109

    Default

    This is a pretty weak debut issue in both writing and art. That goes especially for the art. I've liked some other stuff Van Lente has written, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he'll turn it around.

  7. #7
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,130

    Default

    I guess of you think this was a good book, you wouldn't want them to fix it. But as someone who has been reading GI Joe since issue 12 of ARAH, the script and art are far below what I expect. And even further beyond what I'd pay even $1.99 for if I waited a month to read it digitally. This will likely be the first Joe book I stop following since Devil's Due ran the books into the ground. Frankly, this mess makes GI JOE RELOADED look competent.

    Dixon and Costa will probably still get my money every month. I don't know what this new guy has written before, but he hasn't made a lot of fans on the Joe boards with this first issue. Neither has this HORRIBLE artist.

  8. #8
    voice of reason wiski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Earl View Post
    Definitely would have rated it higher. I really liked the art and felt the book did a nice job reintroducing older Joes and introducing new ones on this new team. It may be not as dark or as edgy for some, but I think it's in the spirit of the original Marvel book, while still very much in the IDW continuity.
    I've learned that CBR reviews are extremely erratic from one reviewer to another. I also would have rated it higher, as I liked the art and thought the comic was pretty good overall. The only thing I didn't like was the last page, as the Baroness looked like she had some sort of back problem.

    Most of the complaints I see about the book come from people who are die-hard GI Joe fans and unhappy that this comic isn't exactly the same as the older G.I. Joe comics.

    The art was good (definitely better than most of the art I've seen in previous IDW G.I. Joe books), the writing was good and the comic was entertaining, which is good enough for me. I don't care if people are crabby that there are new characters or certain people are now in a relationship when they weren't before.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

  9. #9
    Metal Face Destro777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hound of UIster View Post
    They could have solved it by giving the main GI Joe to Mike Costa, but this idea by Van Lente is just terrible. It could fit in with the world of the 80s cartoon, but it definitely doesn't work in the current post-9/11 world embraced by the IDW Joe Comics. The idea of GI Joe going public and turning themselves into a marketing brand, it goes against everything that was established in all the previous work that IDW did with the comic. It even goes against what we know about Cobra. This isn't even a war of ideology where PR could work, Cobra just wants to screw everything including the world and upend the table for everyone. It's not like Americans vs Soviets.
    Costa sounds like he would never take the big gig of the main Joe book - he stated he feels too much pressure writing even someone even close to being a main, popular character. He's more into the lesser known individuals of the universe. Otherwise, your post hits the nail on the head. It goes 100% against of the grain of everything the 'current tone for current times' IDW Joe established. Its sad to say, but perhaps (and likely) sales werent up to snuff and they had to try something to mix it up. From recent interviews Costa's Cobra Files seems he will still be sticking in his dark corner of the universe though. I hope Costa's style isnt too drastically altered with this new (in my opinion awful) direction. I will be completely ignoring the main book in the mean time.
    Last edited by Destro777; 02-22-2013 at 06:47 AM.
    Marvel: Hickman's Avengers books
    DC: Azzarello's WonderWoman
    Valiant: X-O Manowar
    Other: Hellboy, Fables, Spawn, Savage Dragon, Prophet

  10. #10

    Default

    I didn't think it was that bad. I give it 6.9/10. Sure the Joes are public now but that was announced way back before the title launched. The war between Cobra and The Gi Joes have been a secret for long enough, how long did you expect them to keep it a secret from the rest of the world...

  11. #11
    Non-fanboy C. Earl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO. U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPaytonMZ View Post
    I guess of you think this was a good book, you wouldn't want them to fix it. But as someone who has been reading GI Joe since issue 12 of ARAH, the script and art are far below what I expect.
    I've been reading it since issue #1 of ARAH (I still have my original dog-eared copy from '82 beside a later polybagged reprint). Quite frankly, this new book reminds me a lot of those early ARAH issues, so I'm happy with that and in for the long haul.
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

  12. #12
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack00 View Post
    I didn't think it was that bad. I give it 6.9/10. Sure the Joes are public now but that was announced way back before the title launched. The war between Cobra and The Gi Joes have been a secret for long enough, how long did you expect them to keep it a secret from the rest of the world...
    It's the execution that's the main problem with this book. Yes, the public heroes idea is dumb. There's a reason why the real Special Forces are not plopped out in front of a press room filed with cameras. The Joes are SPECIAL Special Forces and the DOD is making toys of them. They're public acknowledgement of the team and then there's stone cold stupid. There was a reason why Hama did stuff like test every real life weapon on a gun range before he wrote about the Joes using it. He wanted to get the real stuff right.

  13. #13
    Zombie Killer SteveRogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    400

    Default

    Just finished reading my copy of #1 and liked it. After reading some of the other posts I was surprised that some people didn't like the art. I personally thought Kurth's work was first rate. However, I understand that art is truely in the eye of the beholder. There are many artists I can't stand but remain popular among other comic fans. As far as the story went I haven't been reading GI Joe and just happend to pick up this issue because I've enjoyed some of Van Lente's work in the past. Therefore I can't compare it to previous Joe runs but did enjoy this issue. I can't say I'm in this for the long haul but I will be picking up #2.
    Pull List: Transformers RID, Darth Vader, Superior Spiderman, Forever Evil, Injustice: Gods Amoung Us 2.

  14. #14
    Veteran Member SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,844

    Default

    I've been trying to get into G.I. Joe for awhile now, but so far that only thing that's worked for me is the Complete Collection vol. 1 hardcover (in a quaint, nostalgic kind of way). Hama's continuation series doesn't seem to be going anywhere, and this new #1 was just 'meh', even though I love Van Lente on Archer & Arnstrong.

    Maybe the military genre just isn't for me...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •