Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Justice League of America, #1

Geoff Johns and David Finch's "Justice League of America" #1 is a typical team origin story. No more, no less.

Full review here.

Only 2 1/2 stars? Wowzors...

I'm hardly a fan of Johns and I was blown away with #1!

BANNED

2 1/2 was being charitable. The art was a mess. The dialog was bland. It was actually worse than the regular JL book. Vibe was better, VIBE.

Really? I thought this was better than most team book first issues since it actually introduced all of the characters (well Simon got a cameo but he'll be there soon), showed why they were important or why they would join this team, and most important, it did all of this without having any pacing issues like other books. Plus, it did a team origin in only one issue! Take that regular Justice League!

My regular reaction can be found HERE

Seriously, you guys bothered by one reviewer?

I found it at least interesting. More interested in how some of those pairings on the picture board are supposed to work out.
    _______
    |____.._|
    _(_O_)_
    |______|

I rather liked the issue. More than I thought I would have.

I gave it an E for Exceeds Expectations.

Official Ghostfacer JordanWinchester's Avatar

I'm surprised that, even though this is just one reviewer's opinion, that this was rated lower than Vibe. Though not the greatest in really doing anything but the basic intros of the team members (some moreso than others) it was able to establish itself fast and was able to keep the pace going. That is a hard thing to try and do during a first issue, to get through the entire main roster of characters in one piece. I'm still waiting to see how this will continue of course but I think it deserved a bit higher than 2.5 stars. I'm not saying a five star review but definitely not a 2.5

I agree that the art wasn't great by most standards but the writing more then made up for it. Thought the issue was more like a 3.5 or a 4 out of 5. CBR gave Justice League #1 a 3 out 5 back when it first came out and I think JLA #1 was a bit better then JL #1.
    Ever-changing Pulls
    DC - Batman, Aquaman, JL, JLD, JLA, Flash, Constantine, Supes Unchaned, Swampy, Wake
    Image - Saga
    Dark Horse - Star Wars

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and with that being said, I thought this deserved at least a 4/5. Different reviewers, but that's the grade Katana #1 received last week, and Justice League of America was easily just as good, both in terms of art and writing.
    Check out my Hawkman Blog:The Stonechat Museum!

Well, this is a reviewer that I hardly trust anyway. I remember how she gave Wonder Woman #7 a 2/5 simply because she didn't like the ideas that Azzarello was introducing. Her review did not reflect the quality of the writing in that review, and I've noticed by skimming this review, its the same case over again. She basically brings up how she didn't enjoy the "talking heads", which I find amusing because so many people criticize Johns for doing big, bombastic action stories that have shallow character foundations (which I don't really agree with, but whatever). So, when Johns departs from this and does something different (and does it well I might add), he's accused of writing a "talking heads" issue??

Based on flipping through it and reading bits and pieces, this review seems about right to me. One of the few times I actually agree with a CBR review...

Really enjoyed it. Can't wait to see where the series goes.

I haven't read the review but I did struggle through the issue. It left me wondering why they even bothered with it. It was pretty bleh to me.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.