Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Picture me interested

Still would have love Las Vegas as a location
    Has to remember his suggestion for the traitor game

#17! RED/MRF/NKA/AMD/RZL/SHP/RHN/MIB/VF/ALC/ NWG/MN/HW

can you crack the code?

I'm fine with them developing a rogues gallery for him, but they could have always taken and used old villains from his previous time as Nightwing, when he was with the Titans (or whatever they called themselves), or his time as Batman (which they are sort of starting to do) instead of just making everything new and ignoring what came before. He's a character with a lot of history and Higgins needs to do a better job at utilizing and incorporating that history, along with adding in new elements, so it feels like the character is evolving and progressing instead of retreading old stories except with a new setting or new faces.

I mean the reason Batman or Superman's rogues galleries are what they are today is because writers continue to use the same villains and develop them. That is difficult to do when it seems every new writer wants to just use their own new characters.

Hopefully "And you'll see other DC heroes come into the book, heroes that Dick has a relationship with outside the Bat-family" means what I think it means. In that he will finally meet with characters like Cyborg and others and finally start reconnecting him to the DCU again. He is being left in the dust by his fellow Bat-family characters.

Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Huzza!
    It's about time...
    I still stand by my suggestion in the Dick/Power Girl thread.

LA now, NYC born & raised Ziza9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I'm fine with them developing a rogues gallery for him, but they could have always taken and used old villains from his previous time as Nightwing, when he was with the Titans (or whatever they called themselves), or his time as Batman (which they are sort of starting to do) instead of just making everything new and ignoring what came before. He's a character with a lot of history and Higgins needs to do a better job at utilizing and incorporating that history, along with adding in new elements, so it feels like the character is evolving and progressing instead of retreading old stories except with a new setting or new faces.

I mean the reason Batman or Superman's rogues galleries are what they are today is because writers continue to use the same villains and develop them. That is difficult to do when it seems every new writer wants to just use their own new characters.

Hopefully "And you'll see other DC heroes come into the book, heroes that Dick has a relationship with outside the Bat-family" means what I think it means. In that he will finally meet with characters like Cyborg and others and finally start reconnecting him to the DCU again. He is being left in the dust by his fellow Bat-family characters.
    I couldn't agree more. The first name that popped into my head when reading what you wrote was Deathstroke. Because of their history, (if it's still okay to acknowledge that. I assume so since Dick falls under the Bat fam heading and Batman was mostly unaffected by Nu52) I wouldn't mind seeing him at the top of Dick's Rogues.
    Child of the Bronze Age.
    My Con schedule: Wondercon, E3, SDCC

The Padre (Guy Padre) @ http://godhatesgeeks.com/

I'm psyched.

So Sonia is going to be there for a while which is a positive. Hopefully we will see him interact with Superboy, Flash, Cyborg, Vibe, Stargirl, Superman and John Stewart.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

They really dropped the Deathstroke ball when they decided to forklift that weird lame Shiva into his history. That one really just frustrates me. That being said im ok with new villains. To be fair the old villains from his previous time as Nightwing weren't very good. Though there are a few i think could be cool seeing back, like Lady Vic or even Double Dare. I wouldn't mind seeing either of those redesigned and reintroduced, especially Lady Vic. I think the Dealer though is whats gonna bring him to Chicago. Its not like he can use James Jr. because Gail's using him right now, and i would be cautious to try Pyg. He seems like a character that might be hard for anybody but Morrison to do right.

Quote Originally Posted by Punter23 View Post
    I'm psyched.

So Sonia is going to be there for a while which is a positive. Hopefully we will see him interact with Superboy, Flash, Cyborg, Vibe, Stargirl, Superman and John Stewart.
    Im not sure i could handle Flash. Im not quite over Wally yet, and that would be kind of a kick to the gonads. Also im hesitant about Superboy because hes more of Tim's flock, and theres a little too much overlapping right now IMO. Rather see Supergirl than Superboy. And John Stewart seems a little out of left field. Im good with all the rest though. Especially Cyborg. He's my top pick for characters i want to see pop up. Powergirl and/or Huntress and two more i wouldn't mind seeing. Oh, and "Hawkfire"
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-20-2013 at 09:46 PM.

His ideas for Chicago seem cool, I hope his relationship with Damian is touched on more thoroughly in 18 though.
    "I like reading about the JGS sometimes. It reminds me when The Three Stooges masqueraded as professors." - godzilla2099

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

So, a writer decides to take a character with whom a bit part of them is the city they live, and move said character to Chicago, a character onto itself with mysterious secrets, as they face new threats and new love interests.

Hmm...why does that sound familiar?

Seriously, though, that doesn't sound bad. I'm willing to give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Redem View Post
    Picture me interested

Still would have love Las Vegas as a location
    Now that you mention it, Vegas would be a place that makes more sense for Dick as a character, even if it's a bit far away to have convenient Bat-family stuff.

Im not sure i could handle Flash. Im not quite over Wally yet, and that would be kind of a kick to the gonads. Also im hesitant about Superboy because hes more of Tim's flock, and theres a little too much overlapping right now IMO. Rather see Supergirl than Superboy. And John Stewart seems a little out of left field. Im good with all the rest though. Especially Cyborg. He's my top pick for characters i want to see pop up. Powergirl and/or Huntress and two more i wouldn't mind seeing. Oh, and "Hawkfire"
    Any Supers would do. I can handle Flash cause Barry's personality could click with NW. I wouldn't really rule out seeing Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, Black Lightning and Black Canary though. There are many characters that could work with Nightwing, that's the beauty of it and I wouldn't rule out Deathstroke either in a Chicago setting.

As long as he doesn't date Babs, I see them as a poster posted on the Dick/PG thing like brother and sister (even though YJ says differently) maybe cause every time they are together it doesn't do well for the characters. But yeah Nightwing in Chicago (I would have picked Buenos Aires or Vienna ) I'm sold

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Everything says differently

Everything says differently
    In the immortal words of Wally West, Dick Grayson is a dog.

Which backwards is God

Nah Higgins got me sold on the Chicago thing and it is nice that Sonia will actually still be there somewhat.

All of this is potentially good news, but more than anything, I want Higgins to quit it with all the gloom and doom. Nightwing used to be such a fun character but recently the tone of his book has been much too similar to Batman. Batman works for dark and moody atmosphere because he's the brooding bat. Dick Grayson has always been the fun one. I wish Higgins would take note of how Waid is approaching Daredevil. Blah blah Nightwing is already a ripoff of Daredevil... I'm just talking about how Mark Waid manages to introduce real threats while still making the comic funny and entertaining. That's the kind of approach that should be taken towards a solo Nightwing book, Grayson's personality is inherently perfect for that tone.

I agree the gloom and doom could really be toned down. Of course, he's currently painted in a rather dark corner, but maybe the move to Chicago will give him an excuse to have a bit of fun despite the 'we hate capes' vibe he'll encounter.

As for the move to the Windy City? I'm all for it. I too, would love to see Bludhaven 2.0, but in lieu of that, getting Dick his own stomping grounds outside of Gotham period sounds like a good choice to me. Higgins knows Chicago, and New York City is...imo, overdone.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

Let's face it, Chicago has an atmosphere and history that just begs for a superhero book, so it should work fine.

And I second whoever it was who wanted to see Lady Vic brought back. And I'll propose that Shrike could be a great villain with a few adjustments.
    “There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal."

-C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Oh, the NO-CAPES sign makes sense now.
    And the X's over his eyes
    You can call me Saiko if I can call you Nightwing