Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default THE BAT SIGNAL: Higgins Takes "Nightwing" in a New Direction

Dick Grayson is heading to Chicago for new villains and new romance as "Nightwing" writer Kyle Higgins explains how he and Brett Booth are reinventing the series post-"Death of the Family."

Full article here.

BANNED

It doesn't sound like he's going to change the style of the book, just the story.

Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    It doesn't sound like he's going to change the style of the book, just the story.

Meh.
    My thoughts exactly.

I can finally drop Nightwing now that he is no longer connected to the Bat family, the title has been struggling to stay afloat and this made me even less interested in the series. I'll put it back on my pull list when the writing improves. Such a shame cause I really liked Booth's art.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    I can finally drop Nightwing now that he is no longer connected to the Bat family, the title has been struggling to stay afloat and this made me even less interested in the series. I'll put it back on my pull list when the writing improves. Such a shame cause I really liked Booth's art.
    You're like the opposite of the rest :O

Later Hater
    I like swords.

Yet, it remains not only one of DC's more successful books, but is selling higher than the character has ever sold including in many cases, as Batman. It's Lso outselling many of the Marvel Now titles that just relaunched, so I guess some people like it.
    You can call me Saiko if I can call you Nightwing

I've kind of thought being in Gotham is what has held this title back a little. It's clear the reason for placing him in Gotham was strictly for CoO. He was such a big part they needed him close. I've also felt like everything Higgins has done so far he was having to set up around Snyder's Batman. So maybe with the big crossovers out the way, moving him to a new city, Higgins can move things forward and not have to worry about what's going on in Batman.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

I can finally drop Nightwing now that he is no longer connected to the Bat family
    He's still connected to the Batfamily. His main setting is just not gonna be in Gotham. Well at least not in his own book. He'll probably still pop up here or there in other Bat books, and he'll still take part of the crossovers.

So how will this be different than the time Dick moved to Bludhaven? Or the time he move to New York? This really feels like a repetition because the writers can't really get any traction on using him in Gotham, due to how pervasive Batman is there.

Kind of sucks for the character of Dick Grayson, in my opinion. But this is what happens when you flood the decks with Bat-related characters. Batman, Batwoman, Batgirl, Robin, Red Robin, Batwing, Bathound... Did I miss any?

Brett and I are building a whole mythology around that city. The idea is that there used to be masks in Chicago, but there aren't anymore. There haven't been any in several years because they're all dead. So there's this whole world-building aspect of the city being afraid of masks and not wanting them there. When Nightwing shows up, he's moving to a town that doesn't want him. And what happened to the former masks and how they died are all questions Nightwing will be faced with.

Admittedly that actually sounds pretty interesting but I've been burned over Higgins' interviews not really reflecting his actual book before.

Im game for Chicago. Its cold over here, but it is something new, and pretty much a blank slate in the DCU. Just please DC, don't drop a giant Chemo on me. And i think Booth coming on is naturally gonna change the style of the book. So im looking forward to seeing him on it. I think his style fits well for Nightwing.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-20-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Something specific to Chicago, eh? I'm guessing Nightwing will be investigating the Curse of the Billy Goat. Hilarity will ensure, I'm sure.

Pfft, Cubs suck. Case closed

Then that's the radical new direction. Dick becomes a Cubs fan.