Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default Birds of Prey #19 Preview/Discussion

http://www.themarysue.com/birds-of-prey-19-vol-2/#0

The traitor is exactly who I suspected.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    The traitor is exactly who I suspected.
    Though I suspect you are not happy that you are right this time I bet. I'm not sure anyone here is particularly happy with this either.

Weaksauce.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

I SO called it, but only because it's so obvious this book is on the way to cancellation and they are tying up the characters. I'm calling that Starling will make her way to Suicide Squad, Strix will next get spun into Talon's book, and finally Black Canary and Batgirl will get spun together into one of the adnauseum new team books coming after Trinity War. There is still the rumoured Nightwing/Batgirl/Booster Gold/Hawkman/Black Canary/Shazam/Red Tornado team that would make sense after Trinity War, especially with Green Arrow and Katana beginning to allude to and probably leaving the JLA to become part of the new Outsiders eventually.
    Last edited by batGRRRl4ever; 04-12-2013 at 09:51 AM.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Earth 2, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF

penetrator of things

And...this wasn't obvious months ago, when she was talking to Waller?

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    Strix will next get spun into Talon's book.
    Actually, I would be down with that if it was to happen. Could make an interesting dynamic with Calvin working with an ex-member who is a full on Talon.

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

I don't care who does what as long as Marx is given a shot to revitalize the title. That is what we need. The book hasn't dropped to the cancellation level yet. It has been strangled by bad writing and editing, but there are other books that are circling the drain much faster than BOP. Marx has a chance to pick this one up. She probably can use the chance to toss some stuff in the air so she can make changes she needs to get it going in a way she is comfortable.

I read in the Talon writer's article that the BOP and Talon crossover will create a friendship between the two ex Talons. But the Talon book is packed, it does not need this girl. Talon can boost BOP some and help get some attention to its new direction. But I think it is logical that Babs and Black Canary will be the two focal points of the new BOP.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls

This was pretty bad however...

WE FINALLY GOT SOME INFORMATION ABOUT DINAH'S ANNOYING "DARK PAST". THANK GOD. The thing that has been annoying every single reader since the start is getting revealed to us. We are actually learning something about it rather than being teased with it, having people from her past showing up, and still not learning a god damn thing. I'll wait for this to improve after this gimmick WTF month stuff is over which is next issue...

The entire issue felt like an annoying bunch of filler until the "shocking reveal". And can we do without one issue of people telling Strix to just stop? It's always "where's Strix?" "Oh no Strix don't do it!" "Strix, we're your... friends... kind of. Please just stop" "Oh my God, Strix is at it... again".

Quote Originally Posted by HokiePokie View Post
    WE FINALLY GOT SOME INFORMATION ABOUT DINAH'S ANNOYING "DARK PAST". THANK GOD.
    Which was what, exactly? She met her would be husband? One would assume that'd have to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    Which was what, exactly? She met her would be husband? One would assume that'd have to happen.
    I dunno, we didn't learn too much but it just felt more satisfying to me. I guess it's because we got "scenes" and actual moments in her life rather than vague recollection of moments? Not really sure how to describe it and I'm not sure if these flashbacks were any different than the rest. I prefer not to relive those moments in BOP history.

I've been reading the trades of the first twelve issues while starting BOP under Marx. It really suffered from the whole "why" question. Even when the 0 issue explicitly tells me why Dinah wanted to form a team (because she doesn't like working alone) but never answers why they investigate things, what their goals are, or even why these team members.

Marx is making fairly sooth transition. There aren't any dramatic shifts in how characters talk or act. That said Dinah feels more open/ It's as slow as ever with the reveals, but as a point of view character is less cagey. There seems to be less space dedicated exclusively to action scenes which allows a more breathing space for the characters.

I never really liked Starling. Something about her just always came off as phony. Now maybe Dinah can have scenes with someone capable of a rapport.

Veteran Member

Thought this was okay. The main problem here is that Marx is forced to follow a clearly editorially mandated story, I don't think I'm going to continue with this title if they keep following this route.

*sigh* So long, my favorite female superhero team...

Quote Originally Posted by HokiePokie View Post
    I dunno, we didn't learn too much but it just felt more satisfying to me. I guess it's because we got "scenes" and actual moments in her life rather than vague recollection of moments?
    I mean... this wasn't much more than a vague recollection. Yeah, they met. People tend to do that. What bothers me about the Kurt Lance thing is that it's been a year, and still NOTHING has been done with that. Dinah still doesn't know he's alive, he's just show up in Teen Titans and said hi to Solstice once, then he got kidnapped, and he's done a whole lot of nothing in Team 7. What the hell is the point of him?! He was just introduced and apparently no one had any follow up to it. Someone just pull the trigger, please!

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Ha, ha, ha u could just look at the cover with this issue and not miss anything.

While the plot was okay and the final panel was revealed on the cover, I was happy with this issue. Even as Marx has to hit the editorial plot beats, she is beginning to define the characters in a way that has not been done in this run so far. Heaven help me, even Condor is beginning to seem halfway interesting. There's been more character development in these 2 issues than in the previous 17 issues of characters doing and saying things dictated by a plot that has no discernible direction. (And I liked the sight of Batgirl digging into her utility belt.)

I will say that while Starling is not my favorite character, I think she has been unfortunately mishandled over the course of this title's run. The character was promising--a saucy gunslinger driving a classic car. The car disappeared after issue 2 with nothing similar replacing it to suggest a character trait, leaving it as a quirky one-off; and her saucy attitude spoiled into a generic edginess. It's too bad; she could have been really fun.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Worlds' Finest, My Little Pony, The Flash, Birds of Prey, Batman '66