Thread: Commish/Babs ?

Default Commish/Babs ?

Did Commish Gordon know that Babs was Batgirl or Oracle pre flashpoint. I didn't really follow her character very heavily back then.

I seem to remember he did know that she was oracle?

If so does anyone know what issue that would be in?

Yes, in Birds of Prey #87, Barbara told her father that she was both a former Batgirl and currently Oracle. Jim had already known that she was Batgirl without openly acknowledging it, but he was totally surprised that she was Oracle.

This revelation was itself a retcon, as it had previously been established as far back as the 1970s that Jim knew that his daughter was Batgirl.
    DC: Wonder Woman
    Marvel: Daredevil, Hawkeye
    Creator-Owned: Fables, Fatale, Lazarus, Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Brack360 View Post
    Yes, in Birds of Prey #87, Barbara told her father that she was both a former Batgirl and currently Oracle. Jim had already known that she was Batgirl without openly acknowledging it, but he was totally surprised that she was Oracle.

This revelation was itself a retcon, as it had previously been established as far back as the 1970s that Jim knew that his daughter was Batgirl.
    Don't forget, a few things about Babs were retconned as a result of CoIE. She had originally been Jim's biological daughter and had a brother (older?) named Tony prior to CoIE, but after CoIE she was suddenly his niece who was adopted (though later stories hinted she possibly was his biological daughter as a result of an adulterous affair with his sister-in-law?), and she no longer had her biological brother Tony. (She instead got a younger cousin/brother-by-adoption named Jim Jr., who later became a murderous psycho.)
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

..for whom the bell tolls The Frozen Reptile's Avatar

Yes, Jim Junior is kind of frightening, isn't he?

I think he's in love with Barbara; it would explain a lot.

With current issues of Batgirl, her mom came back. Would this really give credence to the affair story?
    "Make yourself comfortable, I haven’t time to attend to it." - With these words, a legend was born.

Quote Originally Posted by The Frozen Reptile View Post
    Yes, Jim Junior is kind of frightening, isn't he?

I think he's in love with Barbara; it would explain a lot.

With current issues of Batgirl, her mom came back. Would this really give credence to the affair story?
    I think that affair possibilty with his sister-in-law was just discarded after that writer left . . . I don't think it's been said why Barbara's mom left in the New 52 version (besides maybe fear of wacko Jimmy Jr.), but so far I'm not aware of even Sarah Essen being part of Jim Sr.'s backstory anymore in the post-Flashpoint stories. (I don't even know if Jim was de-aged to a point where he never had his heart attack now.)

There's a lot about Jim that no longer seems to apply as of September 2011.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I'm not a Commish/Babs shipper :p