View Poll Results: Ultimates #21

Voters
37. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Great, Can't wait for the next issue

4 10.81%
  • Good, I enjoy where the story is going

10 27.03%
  • Meh, not bad but not great

14 37.84%
  • Bad, I don't care for this story

3 8.11%
  • Awful, wish I didn't read it

6 16.22%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates #21 review by Wolverine12

I don't have much to say today so here are spoilers

spoilers:

-Scorpio/Fury is ordered to kill Hawkeye, but before that can happen he is zapped by a Wasp drone
    -Iron Patriot attacks the Hydra base, Anthony is controlling the Wasp drone unit and is reporting to both Tony and Monica
    -Monica comments on how polite Tony's tumor is
    -Hawkeye regains consciousness and over powers his captors, Fury reveals himself and Hawkeye is relieved that Fury isn't really a traitor
    -Falcon swoops in to rescue Clint but can't find him
    -We learn the real traitor is Sayuri Kyota who stole an infinity gem from a shield base calls The Torch
    -Sayuri uses the gem to blow everyone to hell, I think she only kills other Hydra members though
    -Fury tells Monica that he plans to continue to lead a small team to fight hydra, Monica says no but Cap says I'm prez and I say it's okay.
    -Fury then tracks down Nails and recruits her, her real name is Abigail Brand.
    -Finally a couple pages showing Sue and Thor fighting in the Hydra base, they realize that there is a gem and a glove in the base and aim to take it
    end of spoilers

I'm going to start with what I liked about this issue and that is the action. The whole attack on Hydra felt like a good action scene, here we have what is literally just a group of Americans with guns getting ambushed by Iron Patriot and a fleet of Wasp drones. That whole scene felt like it should have, a bunch of hopelessly outclassed militia men just trying to stay alive while this super person rains destruction on them. It felt real and believable and I liked that. I also enjoyed the small exchange towards the end with Fury and Nails. It again felt believable that this normal woman would be completely in over her head and have no idea what to do. Fury used that to get what he wants, classic Fury.

I'm interested to see what happens with Sue and Thor at the Hydra base, it could make for some interesting story if done correctly. We also got a Falcon sighting today. He didn't add much to the story, felt more like fan service than anything else. I do really enjoy Sam Wilson so seeing him is a win.

Moving on to what I feel could be improved upon, I would start with the dialogue. It is simply terrible imo. Iron Patriot singing songs while blasting away just doesn't sit right with me. Also, has Anthony been able to communicate with other people before today's issue? I know we've seen Tony utilizing Anthony in front of others before but I don't remember his tumor actually talking to teammates before today. It took me out of the story when Tony and Monica were talking to the tumor and correcting how it addressed Monica during battle situations.

Another gripe I have is how easily Fury is forgiven and all the heat switches to this Sayuri lady. Hawkeye was sent to kill Fury, but because Fury reminds Clint about where the real Scorpio died he automatically drops his guard and trusts Fury. I get that Fury and Clint go way back, but they just both had guns pointed at each other with the intent to kill and there is no tension at all. Fury does go on to prove his loyalty in the issue, but it was a bit cliche how everything was just a big misunderstanding. Most of this could have been fixed if the pacing was a little slower or Clint pressed Fury farther to prove his loyalty, but it is what it is.

Art was passable in this issue, not bad but not impressive.

Overall I think if we got less cornball dialogue than this issue would've been a decent read. Unfortunately Humphries has some of the worst dialogue I've read since "goat turd" and "that makes me the mother f***er". To me this is on par with the worst I've ever read in the Ultimate Universe. Despite my complaints I think today's issue was an improvement over the last one so here's hoping that trend continues.

Story 7/10
    Writing 3/10
    Art 6/10
    Overall 6.5/10
    Last edited by Wolverine12; 02-20-2013 at 01:36 PM.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

Elder Member

I loved this issue. Lots of humorous dialogue, lots of action, lots of building, and it's all got me super excited for what's coming up next.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Overall I think if we got less cornball dialogue than this issue would've been a decent read. Unfortunately Humphries has some of the worst dialogue I've read since "goat turd" and "that makes me the mother f***er"
    Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    I loved this issue. Lots of humorous dialogue
    Yup, Bizarro World it is.
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balfro View Post
    Yup, Bizarro World it is.
    I just about peed myself when Nick asked for SHIELD back dude.

I can't believe i forgot an new Ultimates issue has even arrived, thats how bad this has gotten. :*(
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

True Superior Spider-Man Kurolegacy's Avatar

Seems that it's official that Thor's regained his godhood as he wasn't wearing the harness and fighting with Mjolnir at the end of the issue.
    Holding out for a Peter/Miles team up.

i`d comment, but i`d have to work hard to supress the vomit. just ugh.
    All-time Favs: Ultimate Marvel, Transmetropolitan, 100 Bullets, Ex Machina, Grant Morrison, Saga...

On Vacation

Wyokid are you creating accounts to vote great. It's kinda obvious. Anyway there is nothing left to say about what has already been said. I'm really just resigning myself thats how bad it was.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    Wyokid are you creating accounts to vote great. It's kinda obvious. Anyway there is nothing left to say about what has already been said. I'm really just resigning myself thats how bad it was.
    No and I'm actually really offended that you said that.

On Vacation

No and I'm actually really offended that you said that.
    Lol that was fast guilty conscious? Anyway be offended as much as you want its the internet.

Plawsky can check out who those random nobodies IPs are that are just doing clear favors, hate this shit happening to our board.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    Lol that was fast guilty conscious? Anyway be offended as much as you want its the internet.
    I was joking man. Two of those posters gave been here since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    Plawsky can check out who those random nobodies IPs are that are just doing clear favors, hate this shit happening to our board.
    So would I.

I voted 'meh'. His dialogue is horrible, especially Monica Chang ('Intel, you're rehired!'- that's like something out of the Wing Commander or Street Fighter movies).

The story is getting interesting though- besides, I will never complain about seeing overlooked folks like Sam Wilson and Sue Storm integrated into the story.

Right now, the gulf in quality between this and UCSM/UCXM is as wide as the Grand Canyon.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by emgeo View Post
    I voted 'meh'. His dialogue is horrible, especially Monica Chang ('Intel, you're rehired!'- that's like something out of the Wing Commander or Street Fighter movies).
    She said FIRED.

She said FIRED.
    And she says "you're rehired!" like this is some children's story book.
    Last edited by Plawsky; 02-20-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Language
    My Blog