Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default In Your Face Jam - Feb 20, 2013

Writer Brett White takes a look at his comic book collection and reconsiders his priorities when it comes to storing and keeping his single issues.

Full article here.

I can't control how much other collectors want to pay for the hidden gem that is "Slingers" #1. I thought the former would be worth way more than its cover price in the future, and I'd sure pay way more than the cover price for the latter.
    Ok, but which version of #1? Of the four, I'd think the one with the extra Prodigy pages would be the most desirable, seeing as he's the character that's gone on to the most appearances. Personally, I think the story is most intersting in the Dusk or Ricochet issues, but ymmv. Seeing as you're such a big fan, though, I do have the super-limited #0 I might be willing to part with if the price was right (I could use an iPad, too).
    Omactivate! RIP

Attention! Invading alien scum! I am Bentley, scourge of man, destroyer of hope, and I also have a passing interest in dinosaurs -- Prepare to surrender now!

I have a possible solution for you to consider re: Batman #17: buy it second hand from someone on eBay as a back issue. He already paid for the book, so DC won't be making any profit from your purchase.

What the &$%# was the point of this piece?

Seriously, it seems the editors will allow anyone to write just about anything and post it up on their site... *shaking head*

Quote Originally Posted by Harlock999 View Post

Seriously, it seems the editors will allow anyone to write just about anything and post it up on their site... *shaking head*
    Okay, it just goes to show that people get different things out of columns, because I really enjoyed this one and the point was crystal clear to me.

Brett talks about his specific personal experience, but like many personal histories, the details go beyond one person. It is a casual, cogent piece about the unique psychology of the comics market, about reading vs. collecting and the power of self-delusion in habits.

Many of us, especially those who grew up reading superhero comics during the spectator boom, would slip into buying books because we thought they'd be worth something or because of wanting a complete set of something. Comics are marketed, then and now, to the collector in us as well as the reader.

Who hasn't justified their spending on "investment pieces" before? This goes for car enthusiasts, fashionistas, print media hoarders of all kinds, anyone who has an expensive habit of buying things in excess that are somewhat convertible into cash (i.e. semi-liquid assets).

The way I read it, Brett's "revelation" is about resisting advertising or the collector mentality, and buying what you love because you love it, full stop. It's about doing away with excuses and justifications, arranging your "buy pile," paper and digital, according to the desires of the fan who reads, not the one who purchases with a vague idea of resale later on.

Dude, you buy Batman so you can finish reading it, and you buy the physical copy because digital is an inferior means of reading something that is fundamentally constructed to be consumed in its ink and paper print form.

Further, the stance you take on not supporting Card who is a bigot, is different fundamentally than if you choose to get other DC books. it could be the same thing, but you yourself have declared it wasn't. If you want to boycott DC as a whole, then do it and do it big. You have a voice, you have people that will stand with you (I will), but be decisive in your actions.

It's a good read. Maybe not the 5 star review this site gave it, but still a damn fine end to a pretty good story.
    Besides, Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo (and the rest of their awesome creative team) are not an anagram for Orson Scott Card.

And, when it comes to the whole collector thing, I gave a stranger my Walking Dead 1 for nothing because he didn't have it, and I did. These things we love are meant to be enjoyed, and he enjoyed having it more than I did. I'm glad nothing new has any inflated value, it takes away from the value between the pages.

And this is why comic books aren't as mainstream as they should be. damn.
    Say No to decompressed storytelling!

Bellechere for the win!!!

European Union: XXI Century New USSR
    I am anti-EU

I sold off Walking Dead issues too specificaly to buy an ipad too. #19 paid for a large portion of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlock999 View Post

Seriously, its not for you to decide what deserves site space. I actually enjoyed the piece as well. Having grown up in the 90s doing exactly what was described and slowly working to change that mentality as I got older, I really got where the writer was coming from. Pretty sure 12 yr old me also passed over some pretty highly sought after books now that were in the dollar bin because I wanted the new stuff to keep moving my collection forward (I only had so much allowance haha).

Also, I'd guess the editors base what goes up on the site off of the number of hits.

I always told my friends buying comics as an 'investment' was stupid and they would give me crap over it. Flash forward 30 years and most of their investments were sold for next to nothing to fill out quarter bins at the local comic shop when their owners needed money or got tired of moving them from house to house/apartment to apartment.

I still have my box of beloved 2099 comics, and old venom minis, etc and read them every couple of years for a nice trip down memory lane. Its kinda cool how different they read decade by decade.

That's why I would have bought Batman #17 if I had been in his shoes. I do go back and re-read my old comics and the idea that at some point I'd want to read Death of the Family in the future and not have ending would really piss me off later.