Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Wrath of the First Lantern discussion/spoilers for today

I didn't see any topic discussing this current storyline, so here goes. Spoilers for those who don't understand what a discussion is.

We have three books out today. GLC and GLNG seemed to be designed to explore the current canon and let us know whats in or out.

As it appears, everything is in(!). In GLNG, we see every past incarnation of Kyle is canon, and Volthoom alters his history here and there to show him how things could be worse if he didn't accept the way things are. Sort of an "Its a Wonderful life" orchestrated by the star baby from 2001 A Space Odyssey. Everything Kyle has been through is there and there are mentions that Hal Jordan died to reignite the sun, but if Kyle had failed to resurrect him, Sinestro wins the war and trashes their sector, leaving his symbol on our moon. We see Kyle as Ion in that scene, etc. By exploring how things would have been different in his life, we get to see what is still a part of their history. Kyle's is 90% the same, with the exception of Jade's inclusion.

Over in Corps, we see Guy go through the same things. We learn a few new things, but mostly we find out that his career hasn't changed much either. He was still Warrior, he still had a yellow ring, he still had a bowl haircut at one point. He was still a red lantern. It is all there. In his grid of flashbacks, we see Hal Jordan as Parallax and several other interesting things, including the Anti-Monitor.

So as we move forward in the New 52, we learn that things aren't as different as we originally believed. Nothing has changed much and I'm glad to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post
    I didn't see any topic discussing this current storyline, so here goes. Spoilers for those who don't understand what a discussion is.

We have three books out today. GLC and GLNG seemed to be designed to explore the current canon and let us know whats in or out.

As it appears, everything is in(!). In GLNG, we see every past incarnation of Kyle is canon, and Volthoom alters his history here and there to show him how things could be worse if he didn't accept the way things are. Sort of an "Its a Wonderful life" orchestrated by the star baby from 2001 A Space Odyssey. Everything Kyle has been through is there and there are mentions that Hal Jordan died to reignite the sun, but if Kyle had failed to resurrect him, Sinestro wins the war and trashes their sector, leaving his symbol on our moon. We see Kyle as Ion in that scene, etc. By exploring how things would have been different in his life, we get to see what is still a part of their history. Kyle's is 90% the same, with the exception of Jade's inclusion.

Over in Corps, we see Guy go through the same things. We learn a few new things, but mostly we find out that his career hasn't changed much either. He was still Warrior, he still had a yellow ring, he still had a bowl haircut at one point. He was still a red lantern. It is all there. In his grid of flashbacks, we see Hal Jordan as Parallax and several other interesting things, including the Anti-Monitor.

So as we move forward in the New 52, we learn that things aren't as different as we originally believed. Nothing has changed much and I'm glad to see that.
    It's all canon?

Best news I've heard all week besides the new creative GL teams!

I read GL and NG, and they were both good. Really liking the First Lantern so far. He's a arrogant jerk who knows how powerful he is, and is basically treating everyone like little toys to play with. Some of the spreads of the character's histories were also pretty impressive.

I also enjoyed the prologue of GL, it had a very vintage feel to it with the art.
    Superhero Popularity Study

New and improved second poll is up!

I am so glad to see Johns & Tomasi use their clout to affirm the canon status of the Green Lantern stories and letting us know that a few key things ... Krona ... Anti-Monitor ... definitely still part of major events of the DCU. It kind of makes the pill of the dramatic revamps easier to swallow.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar

I also noticed that it seems a lot of old stories are still canon though I must confess that I was surprised that Warrior is seemingly still there. I thought Johns kind of stamped that out of existence. And they did revert back to Krona's old backstory with a few twists namely the ring on the hand at the dawn of creation though I am not sure I like this whole spin on Volthoom. So now the Guardians DIDNT discover the Emotional Spectrum? My problem with that is that Johns makes it seem that the Guardians are now officially useless...
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!

Salacious Propriety Tandaemonium's Avatar

All three books were at the top of their game. Really wasn't expecting that at all.

I'm really curious as to what the new origins of Volthoom are and it's exciting to think about the possible ramifications of what that could mean regarding Hypertime and the Multiverses. He seems to still actually be from a modern day New 52 Earth 3 as indicated by the Earth-3 U.S. flag. I have no idea what color lantern that is he's carrying...white? I mean it's cyan but still...would like to know what that means in addition to Krona watching Eternity or the Anti-Monitor's hand at the beginning of time wearing a GL ring. Really interested to find out what made Volthoom snap...can't help but sympathize somewhat since it does seem like the Guardians' fault.

Anyways...onto JLA and Saga...
    Last edited by Tandaemonium; 02-20-2013 at 11:46 AM.

I wonder how they'll explain all that history in the span of just 5 years...

I'm curious as to how certain things can still be in continuity. If there was no Jade then what sparked the second Ion in Kyle? And since he didn't have the starheart that means his face shouldn't be all spacey in that suit in the lineup. Also his first White Ion suit seems to be gone (or just maybe not shown like his Blue suit)

Also curious as to that they left warrior and the the yellow ring were left in for Guy, with only a 5 year timeline. That would mean Guy was a GL for year one, then possibly in a coma for year two, yellow wielder for year three, followed by warrior for year 4, and then rebirth happens for year 5.
    _______
    |____.._|
    _(_O_)_
    |______|

Hooked on a Feeling

Quote Originally Posted by [Trigger] View Post
    I'm curious as to how certain things can still be in continuity. If there was no Jade then what sparked the second Ion in Kyle? And since he didn't have the starheart that means his face shouldn't be all spacey in that suit in the lineup. Also his first White Ion suit seems to be gone (or just maybe not shown like his Blue suit)

Also curious as to that they left warrior and the the yellow ring were left in for Guy, with only a 5 year timeline. That would mean Guy was a GL for year one, then possibly in a coma for year two, yellow wielder for year three, followed by warrior for year 4, and then rebirth happens for year 5.

I bet that Volthoom is aware of the old DCU, as we see the Anti Monitor.

This may mean that he's going to be our equivalent of Superboy Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by SpycrabKiller View Post
    I bet that Volthoom is aware of the old DCU, as we see the Anti Monitor.

This may mean that he's going to be our equivalent of Superboy Prime.
    That's what I was thinking. When I saw Volthoom use his powers to see the history of a character, I thought, "this is your continuity reboot guy right here."

Hooked on a Feeling

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    That's what I was thinking. When I saw Volthoom use his powers to see the history of a character, I thought, "this is your continuity reboot guy right here."

Yeah, his release probably sent Pariah here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon_X View Post
    Honestly, throughout the books, we've only seen that the JLA formed five years ago. We've seen evidence that most of the heroes have been operating longer than that. It's not a big deal to just forget the short timeline because they don't seem to be sticking to it either.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    For the first time ever I just may start rooting for a villain!

Honestly? GL is about the only thing DC is keeping that still interests me. Probably Flash too, but I'm waiting to see who their Reverse Flash is going to be. If they have to claim that all that Green Lantern history got crammed into 5 years because of something timey-whimey and the old universe still exists somewhere I just may cry with relief.
    Daredevil-Waid, and Hawkeye. (Or was before received cost of cheapest Unaffordable Health Care. At least someone (government insurance companies and congress?) get to enjoy product of my working.

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon_X View Post
    The same way people accepted 50+ years of comic continuity having taken place in a 10 year span.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbonex View Post
    The same way people accepted 50+ years of comic continuity having taken place in a 10 year span.
    I'm not sure I'm following you there...please explain?