Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Well in fairness you're missing 3 issues of the book's first year (and not to mention the rest). The book is structured like a TV series. The first year wraps up the surface storyline, and keeps some plot seeds running for the next year, cobbled with some new seeds.

Welcome to the Future. HeroxMatt2.0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I would have thought War would have had a better showing against Hermes than he did, surprise attack or no.

I guess that Orion is just a big ol clueless jock and he relates to everybody in the world like that. So I'm not even surprised. If anything, I'm more interested in Zoe.
    I agree on these points. Shame to see War get whooped so badly. HOWEVER! With the way that dialogue went, I was thinking War was actually going to betray Wonder Woman. So maybe it's an elaborate plan to get Wonder Woman's sympathy or whatever, before he ultimately betrays her. I don't trust that War would just gladly take her for no reason at all.

Also, I'm really looking forward to more Zola, as well. She's a pretty compelling character. She's basically the mortal eyes to the rest of the group.
    You are an apocalypse dreaming of butterflies
    and
    we are a patchwork of miracles.

I just read Wonder Woman #17 and feel it is, by far, the best issue since Wondy beat the Moon's ass, back in #12 or 13.

Kudos to Mr. Azzarello and Mr. Idelson for #17, ..but hope we never see another issue, like Wonder Woman #16, again. Everyone here knows what's been happening - that the current story arc has been editorially measured for compilation into three or four tradepaperbacks. Everyone knows we've been getting screwed over, by the editors. Sixteen really was a complete and total ripoff and a pimp-slap to loyal fans.

The operative mantra here: We like Wonder Woman ..JUICY!

No more passing off a half-comic's worth of material for a legitimate issue and charging us THREE BUCKS for it. We've been loyal to WW long enough to deserve better, ..and we will be watching.
    Last edited by MelDyer; 02-21-2013 at 01:34 AM.
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."
    Cassandra on Orion of the New Gods (Wonder Woman #26)

Welcome to the Future. HeroxMatt2.0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    I just read Wonder Woman #17 and feel it is, by far, the best issue since Wondy beat the Moon's ass, back in #12 or 13.

Kudos to Mr. Azzarello and Mr. Idelson for #17, ..but hope we never see another issue, like Wonder Woman #16, again. Everyone here knows what's been happening - that the current story arc has been editorially measured for compilation into three or four tradepaperbacks. Everyone knows we've been getting screwed over, by the editors. Sixteen really was a complete and total ripoff and a pimp-slap to loyal fans.

The operative mantra here: We like Wonder Woman ..JUICY!

No more passing off a half-comic's worth of material for a legitimate issue and charging us THREE BUCKS for it. We've been loyal to WW long enough to deserve better, ..and we will be watching.
    I really enjoyed this as well (a great week for comics).

I do wonder, though, what did you like about it?
    You are an apocalypse dreaming of butterflies
    and
    we are a patchwork of miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroxMatt2.0 View Post
    That's true. Although, the scenes with the First certainly fill my action-scene quota. I'm really interested in the way that sub-plot is developing, so I don't mind that WW isn't fighting people. Although things definitely look like they're going to change, now that she's under attack by Hermes! War got his behind kicked badly.
    Let's face it. She's not going to fight Hermes either. It's going to be one big speech about "how could you?!". The Orion fight was a shoe-in, and look what happened! I must say, though... that by his speech Hermes seems to have grown a pair since the last time we saw him. He sounds different.

As far as War.. as I said somewhere above.. he looked fragile before. Now.. if he doesn't bite the dust from this I don't know what'll kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Whatever the in-story explanation, Azzarello's frat-boy Orion is now one of the very worst versions of the character ever, to my mind. This is about as far from everything I liked about Kirby's Orion as you can get, without going into Cosmic Odyssey territory.
    I'll take this version - which I'll agree is very far afield from the Orion kirby created - over the froth-mouthed idiot we've seen so often.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I think he meant it playfully, but more than that, he meant it as a way to - as it was mentioned above - get her DNA so he could follow her with his BOOM Tube.

Maybe it should have been clearer that's how his machine works, because you're right, it seems really weird for Orion to have acted that way.
    One thing I really like is precisely that Azzarello sidesteps the idea of how his 'machine works' when Lummox (LOL) asks if he fed the hair into his machine. Because New God technology isn't technology at all, and while I don't need Azzarello to get into the finer points of New God mythology in his Wonder Woman run, it's nice that he's at least aware of it and acknowledging it for those of us 'in the know' so to speak.

I'll agree that the slap is for the DNA, and suspect that Azzarello is extending one of Orion's tropes a little bit; just as his Mother Box 'weaves together photons' to produce the image of a beautiful piece of mean meat but beneath ever-lurks the savage visage of a Lord of Hell, so to does Azzarello's Orion effect the easy-going frat boy mentality to mask hidden depths and raging (emotional) storms.

He's a god at war with himself.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    He's a god at war with himself.
    Actually if that were going to be said of anyone in this issue I think it would be Ares.

No real surprise Hermes gets in one good shot. He is a thief and he used his sneak attack skill - rolled an extra 6d6 damage and that will hurt anyone, espeically when you use it in a two weapon combo

By the way, aside from the cover looking pretty it seeme to have little to do with the story,

Akins art generally was by the far the better, I felt, but the pic where Diana walks into the hotel room looked incredibly stiff.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Actually if that were going to be said of anyone in this issue I think it would be Ares.
    You think? I think Ares knows exactly what he wants, and is going about it in a very defined way.

Eh I found Orion's characterization rather off,but I guess it's better than Waid/Starlins always angry idiot.
    Last edited by darkseidpwns; 02-21-2013 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thepenguin View Post
    Yep. My first impression of new 52 Orion is confirmed. He's just a frat boy type. The Hal Jordan of New Genesis. But not even Hal I think would have touched Diana's ass. If Geoff Johns had written this his Diana would have rightfully slashed Orion's chest for this harassment and he would have deserved it. I'm kind of baffled Diana would tolerate this douchey behaviour.
    The same Johns who had Diana getting owned by Orm? pfft right.I'll take the Orion/Diana banter any day over Johns Superman/Wonder Woman wet dreams.

And lol at people saying Diana should've broken his arm or slashed his chest,he can heal from that in seconds.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    You think? I think Ares knows exactly what he wants, and is going about it in a very defined way.
    Maybe, but I suspect that what he wants may involve his own destruction and final rest, so he might be "at war with himself" in that sense. He does, as Hermes notes, seem to be quite a self-hating god.

Also, he tells Strife that the game he's playing isn't really his own, so I'm not sure his actions are ultimately dictated by "what he wants."

Anyway, I like your reading of Orion as a god at war with himself.
    Last edited by slvn; 02-21-2013 at 06:37 AM.

"One of Zeus' child will murder another and take their place. It's what Zeus want."

Could Zeus want Diana to be the new god of war to battle against the First Born? Could she be the one who can blow the smoke away?
    Sexism: men are from Ares, women are from Aphrodite.

I really enjoyed this as well (a great week for comics).

I do wonder, though, what did you like about it?
    Honestly, I can't think of anything I DIDN'T like about Issue #17, and that's saying plenty. Characterization, drama, a little action and progress, ..an issue that really moves the story forward. For the first time since this series started, I really didn't care so much about the unfinished details (Wondy's vital stats, the absence of I Ching and Etta, Zola's homelife, etc), ..because I didn't feel jipped or cheated on story. Another first!

Maybe, 'full' or 'whole issue' should be posted somewhere on Wonder Woman covers from now on, .. since Issue #17 may be the first FULL ISSUE we've seen from the new creative team.

'Bout damn time, too.

And, hopefully, with Orion's 'Lummox' cracks, the Rockstar may actually get something resembling a working name. The Gargoyle has a fitting ring to it, since Lennox is basically DC's answer to the Grey Gargoyle (of Marvel's Mighty Thor), ..but, maybe something recalling British comic mags are in order...

Dan Gargoyle, Sergeant Gargoyle, Tom Stone (always late)...
    Last edited by MelDyer; 02-21-2013 at 07:40 AM. Reason: more stuff
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."
    Cassandra on Orion of the New Gods (Wonder Woman #26)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Well in fairness you're missing 3 issues of the book's first year (and not to mention the rest). The book is structured like a TV series. The first year wraps up the surface storyline, and keeps some plot seeds running for the next year, cobbled with some new seeds.
    Honestly, I should have jumped ship after issue #6, but stuck it out because I thought we were getting to the end of the story.

2.99 a month is a lot to pay to not be entertained.