Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What are some good examples of anti-villains?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-villain

Going by the defintion I say Doakes from Dexter

Basicly he pretty much COMPLETLY correct out dexter being a nutball and everyone else wrong, but he goes about proving at just a jerky way that he deemed insane. And just angry to everyone around him, While Dexter nice guy around him

He the opposit of Dexter who always wear a mask to survive. Doakes on the other hand lets his A%ole Flag flies high and totaly honest about what on his mind. If he thinks your an idiot, he tells you even if thier his boss, and doesnt care about making friends. Partly what gets him the end. If he just acted more rationaly, Season 2 would of ended a differntly. Also his plans to take Down Dexter became a more ego Him Vs me, then honestly wanting to stop a Phyco

Although he did seem to want Dexter not to kill the guy at the end and became horrified at what he was actully doing at the end. Maybe even felt sorry for dex

Quote Originally Posted by IamtheRock3 View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-villain

Going by the defintion I say Doakes from Dexter

Basicly he pretty much COMPLETLY correct out dexter being a nutball and everyone else wrong, but he goes about proving at just a jerky way that he deemed insane. And just angry to everyone around him, While Dexter nice guy around him

He the opposit of Dexter who always wear a mask to survive. Doakes on the other hand lets his A%ole Flag flies high and totaly honest about what on his mind. If he thinks your an idiot, he tells you even if thier his boss, and doesnt care about making friends. Partly what gets him the end. If he just acted more rationaly, Season 2 would of ended a differntly. Also his plans to take Down Dexter became a more ego Him Vs me, then honestly wanting to stop a Phyco

Although he did seem to want Dexter not to kill the guy at the end and became horrified at what he was actully doing at the end. Maybe even felt sorry for dex

Not exactly felt sorry but Dexter's actions did made him rethink everything that he did just to capture Dexter
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

"An anti-villain is a character in a film, drama or literary work who pursues undeniably villainous ends, but employs methods that are arguably noble in order to advance his interests."

i'm going with Eric O'Grady aka the Irredeemable Ant-Man on this one. he wants a good life and has used superheroics to attain it. the very first encounter with the character has him save a woman from a mugging in hopes that she'd 1) buy him a really expensive meal 2) sleep with him and 3) unknowingly provide him a place to hide from SHIELD. he comforted his dead best friend's girlfriend with the intentions of bedding her. he stopped a bank robber with the intentions of stealing his loot. he very openly rejected the woman he impregnated because he felt that he would be a bad influence upon their child/didn't love the woman/knew that he wasn't responsible enough to be a father. it can be argued either way, i guess. he might just be an anti-hero. but there's very little that is heroic about his conduct most of the time.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Ashram from ROLR maybe?
    Everything burns...

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    "An anti-villain is a character in a film, drama or literary work who pursues undeniably villainous ends, but employs methods that are arguably noble in order to advance his interests."

i'm going with Eric O'Grady aka the Irredeemable Ant-Man on this one. he wants a good life and has used superheroics to attain it. the very first encounter with the character has him save a woman from a mugging in hopes that she'd 1) buy him a really expensive meal 2) sleep with him and 3) unknowingly provide him a place to hide from SHIELD. he comforted his dead best friend's girlfriend with the intentions of bedding her. he stopped a bank robber with the intentions of stealing his loot. he very openly rejected the woman he impregnated because he felt that he would be a bad influence upon their child/didn't love the woman/knew that he wasn't responsible enough to be a father. it can be argued either way, i guess. he might just be an anti-hero. but there's very little that is heroic about his conduct most of the time.
    Which has what exactly to do with TV/Film?
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

The Shade from Robinson's Starman (man, what an awesome character!)

Lex Luthor would sometimes fall into this mold. But I'd say it'd be a 75/25 split between Anti-Villain and pure villain. It really just depends on how he's being written that day.

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Ben and Locke from Lost would seem to at times fit the definition.

Scorpius from Farscape is another.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    Which has what exactly to do with TV/Film?
    harsh much? there are a lot of forums. i just entered the wrong one.

Hot Sex On A Platter PamGrierOverdrive's Avatar

Tony Soprano. Everything he does is to provide for his family.

If an anti-hero is a someone who subverts the rules/law for an ultimately good cause then an anti-villain should be a guy who abides by the rules or employs the law for an unltimately evil cause. Senator Palpatine might qualify for this.
    "I think we can help. Mercedes is black; I'm gay. We make culture." - Kurt, Glee.

Not only Palpatine but Darth Vader, Grand Moff Tarkin, Grand Admiral Thrawn etc?
    Last edited by Desmodus; 03-11-2008 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    harsh much? there are a lot of forums. i just entered the wrong one.
    Just trying to keep this from going off tangent.

And you don't get much more anti-hero than Vic Mackey.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Mr and Mrs. Smith. Think about it for a second: They were private assassins, and unrepentant about it. But the audience is on their side.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Mr and Mrs. Smith. Think about it for a second: They were private assassins, and unrepentant about it. But the audience is on their side.
    really? i hated both of them. why don't they adopt some american orphans?