Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    Kraven's Last Hunt.
    Death of Captain America.
    Reign of the Supermen.
    Nova#1 - On sale now!

SW
    The first thought that came to me wasn't the Cap/Bucky argument, but the wildly successful Ghost Rider relaunch in 1990.
    Johnny Blaze was nowhere to be found. Instead we got young Dan Ketch. That GR series was so popular it revived a whole corner of the Marvel U and helped launch new Morbius, Nightstalkers, and Darkhold series under the Midnight Sons banner. Which in turn revived Blade as a viable popular character. And then Blade proved Marvel Comics were a viable commercial film property and IP farm.
    We might never have got an Avengers film if they hadn't replaced Blaze with Dan.
    And so it is the same with Rich and Sam. So all the whiners about "NINO" need to pipe down a notch.

However, the first issue remains a cliched, decompressed, overpriced mess. C-list heroes shouldn't be in $4 books. Didn't Bendis and Maleev's Moon Knight teach us anything? And Loeb's critical track record for the last decade doesn't help.
    I believe all that needs to be said has been. So here’s my two cents.”
    -- ScottMC, inadvertently summing up the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo Tomassi View Post
    The first thought that came to me wasn't the Cap/Bucky argument, but the wildly successful Ghost Rider relaunch in 1990.
    Johnny Blaze was nowhere to be found. Instead we got young Dan Ketch. That GR series was so popular it revived a whole corner of the Marvel U and helped launch new Morbius, Nightstalkers, and Darkhold series under the Midnight Sons banner. Which in turn revived Blade as a viable popular character. And then Blade proved Marvel Comics were a viable commercial film property and IP farm.
    We might never have got an Avengers film if they hadn't replaced Blaze with Dan.
    And so it is the same with Rich and Sam. So all the whiners about "NINO" need to pipe down a notch.

However, the first issue remains a cliched, decompressed, overpriced mess. C-list heroes shouldn't be in $4 books. Didn't Bendis and Maleev's Moon Knight teach us anything? And Loeb's critical track record for the last decade doesn't help.

JB was nowhere to be found because his story had ended. There was no cliffhanger or anything similar so when a new GR came out years later it was a brand new story separate from the original. Rich seems to be at a high point with fans when the dude was taken out so the wound is raw. Specially when some one else that was with him seems to be back with no troubles.

Until an explanation is given it's pretty clear why one person is back and another isnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    JB was nowhere to be found because his story had ended. There was no cliffhanger or anything similar so when a new GR came out years later it was a brand new story separate from the original. Rich seems to be at a high point with fans when the dude was taken out so the wound is raw. Specially when some one else that was with him seems to be back with no troubles.

Until an explanation is given it's pretty clear why one person is back and another isnt.
    So if we didn't have Thanos or Star-Lord back yet, you think the Richard Rider fans would be silent, and/or behind Sam-Nova?

So I wonder how this will work going forward.

Sam badly wants out off the town he is in. Being Nova will get him that chance.

But now I'm wondering if we are going to have a book that mostly takes place in space, earthbound or a mix of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    So if we didn't have Thanos or Star-Lord back yet, you think the Richard Rider fans would be silent, and/or behind Sam-Nova?
    I think that people will always want their characters back, but if Thanos or Star-Lord didn't come back, it basically closes all arguments to getting him back. They got stuck defeating Thanos in an alternate universe that collapsed on them, right? That's a pretty epic way to go if you ask me.

If Thanos or Star-Lord didn't come back, then I would say people would be more accepting of Sam. But they are coming back and people want to at least know why Richard Rider isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    So I wonder how this will work going forward.

Sam badly wants out off the town he is in. Being Nova will get him that chance.

But now I'm wondering if we are going to have a book that mostly takes place in space, earthbound or a mix of both.
    I hope we get a mix. Slow arcs on Earth that flesh out the characters, with a few minor bad guys of course, and big epic arcs of blasting aliens and being fun.

I think it's going to start off mostly in space for this arc and the one after, since they "have" to build up to Infinity.

Stay on topic everyone. No need for personal insults. Talk about the actual comic book and not other posters or other forums. If you aren't on this thread to discuss the Nova #1 issue then take your comments somewhere else please. We have hundreds if not thousands of topics going on here at CBR Forums. This one happens to be about Nova #1 Spoilers.

Feel free to put posters you have problems with on "ignore" or try to resolve personal issues via PM. Better yet, move on and talk about comics. That is what we are here for anyways.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SediarSago View Post
    I think that people will always want their characters back, but if Thanos or Star-Lord didn't come back, it basically closes all arguments to getting him back. They got stuck defeating Thanos in an alternate universe that collapsed on them, right? That's a pretty epic way to go if you ask me.

If Thanos or Star-Lord didn't come back, then I would say people would be more accepting of Sam. But they are coming back and people want to at least know why Richard Rider isn't.
    Agreed. Rich had about as epic an end as anyone could hope for, and he went out on top. Thanos I always knew would return but Star Lord's return makes me want to know what happened to Rich. Obviously the cartoon is why Sam is the new Nova, which is fine. But why did SL make it out and Rich didn't? Or did he?

It also carries larger ramifications for the franchise, in regards to the Worldmind, the Corps, Rich's brother who had become an officer, and the Nova Force itself. How does this new series connect with the last? Does it at all?

Quote Originally Posted by BoboBobo View Post
    The story was meh and is a collection of teen hero cliches.

The art is whats carrying this book. Wonder who they got on the fill ins.
    Agreed on all points. I was thinking about the cliches while I was reading and after. Despite being so heavily used, they can work sometimes. This wasn't really one of them haha, but not bad enough to not want to read more. And you know what you're gonna get with the art team. McGuinnes, Vines and Gracia won't disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by drakeon View Post
    I'll keep checking my stores out here, but my walmart never gets anything except the crappy movie line figs, so I might just have to amazon it
    Yeah, the movie figs are usually trash. A few gems here and there, but they're more the exception.

Rich is still a Nova. Who said otherwise?

SW
    Did you just subtly give a hint to Rich Rider's current status?

I'm glad to see that people have liked it so far. I wasn't expecting to and I have encountered myself a little surprised after reading it. Looks like Loeb is back on track.

However, now begins the hard part. I bet this is going to follow the "hero's journey", and, according to that, the conflict is set (country boy ashamed of his dad has to clean after him), the call to adventure has been... well, called (the search of the missing father), the mentor(s) appeared (Rocket and Gamora) and now they have to introduce us to the sense of wonder and the big universe.

I'm in.

PD: I also liked Richard Rider, but his story remains the same despite the publication of this other Nova... I don't see the insult.
    Saga, Zero, Chew, Prophet, Lazarus, Fatale, Sex Criminals, The Fuse, Rat Queens, Great Pacific, Umbral, Peter Panzerfaust, Copra, Rachel Rising, Mind MGMT, BPRD, Lobster Johnson.

That s because there is no insult. Just some people who can't let go.

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeswithparc View Post
    What was the evidence to suggest that this Nova exists in an alternate Universe? I'm not sure if I got that vibe reading the issue but a lot of people have suggested it here.
    Check Avengers v.s. X-men, where Sam flies in and grabs hold of Dark Cyclops. Cyclops mentions something about seeing Sam's secret and Sam not belonging here.

Also, the Point One comic from a couple of years ago, dealt with some alternative universe stories. There was a Nova story in there that didn't quite seem to jive with what was going on in Marvel, at that time. I could be wrong with this, but that is how it felt to me.

Jimmy

Rich is still a Nova. Who said otherwise?

SW
    Loeb.

The call began with Loeb describing the pitch of the series and its first issue. "We begin at the beginning," he said. "Ed McGuinness and I are huge Nova fans, and in particular Rich Rider fans and the Nova Corps and all this stuff that's been going on for decades." He said part of what got the ball rolling on this book was that Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning decided to kill off the former Nova in their Cosmic run, necessitating a new young hero to pick up the helm.
    http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/con...-rider-new-art

Quote Originally Posted by 40yearoldnovafan View Post
    Check Avengers v.s. X-men, where Sam flies in and grabs hold of Dark Cyclops. Cyclops mentions something about seeing Sam's secret and Sam not belonging here.

Also, the Point One comic from a couple of years ago, dealt with some alternative universe stories. There was a Nova story in there that didn't quite seem to jive with what was going on in Marvel, at that time. I could be wrong with this, but that is how it felt to me.

Jimmy
    Thanks, that does seem probable given all those quotes. I somewhat wish that Sam was just an ordinary replacement, though, but I'm all for it if the story's there.