Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

As long as you want to stay off-topic, Mr. lord, can we get a list of all the nauseating "nicknames" hateful people have come up with in efforts to get everyone to think they're really clever?

NINO
    Inferior Spider-Man
    Wolverina/Wolverita/etc.

Honorable mention for "House of NO Ideas." An old chestnut that never goes out of style.

What am I forgetting?
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Quote Originally Posted by timelord View Post
    If they're going to call it "Nova" Volume V - then it only stands to reason that it be compared to all that came before it. And what exactly is "legitimate criticism?" I'm sure there would be quite a bit of disagreement on the definition of what's legitimate and what isn't. Alonso has said in an interview on this very site that NINO is the new Peter Parker. There are plenty of Parker cliches in #1. I didn't like them and didn't think they worked. How is that not a legitimate criticism?
    Legit criticism would be criticism that stays on topic to this discussion. That's all I am asking and have asked. Stay on topic. Avoid name calling and creator bashing. Follow the rules of the forum and all.

As far as your concerns for Parker-Nova, that seems fair to me. You don't want a new Cosmic character that echoes the Peter Parker-esque underdog hero mold. I get it. Though many characters have followed that similar pattern, Rider himself started with some of those same Parker-esque traits. To each his own. I think it might work and from what I have seen in Issue 1, is on the right track. Again, just differing opinions.

Fact is, this isn't Richard Rider. It is a new character. If you don't want to get beyond that then surely you won't be able to enjoy the series. That is fine. We get it. Now let's focus the talk about the new series, and what/who IS in it, starting with this new #1.

Did you like the design for the "black hat" outfit at least?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo Tomassi View Post
    Loeb's Hulk run was coming off the creative high of Planet Hulk and World War Hulk story arcs. Readers had come on board during those runs, and Loeb had driven most of them off before his first year was done.
    Actually, you're mistaken on that.

Planet Hulk's sales over one year:

04/06 Incredible Hulk #94 - 47,966 ( +1.1%)
    05/06 Incredible Hulk #95 - 49,089 ( +2.3%)
    06/06 ---
    07/06 Incredible Hulk #96 - 49,209 ( +0.2%)
    08/06 Incredible Hulk #97 - 48,893 ( -0.6%)
    09/06 Incredible Hulk #98 - 52,987 ( +8.4%)
    10/06 Incredible Hulk #99 - 47,878 ( -9.6%)
    11/06 Incredible Hulk #100 - 84,169 (+75.8%)
    12/06 Incredible Hulk #101 - 47,927 (-43.1%)
    01/07 Incredible Hulk #102 - 46,965 ( -2.0%)
    02/07 Incredible Hulk #103 - 46,690 ( -0.6%)
    03/07 Incredible Hulk #104 - 47,823 ( +2.4%)
    04/07 Incredible Hulk #105 - 53,256 (+11.4%)
    It jumped big at the anniversary issue and jumped again at the issue that lead right into WWH, which happened to be Marvel's summer event that year.

Loeb's Hulk run was comparatively healthy over it's first year, shedding from what I can see to be slightly more than 30%.

8. HULK
    05/04 Incredible Hulk #72 - 45,385
    05/05 Incredible Hulk #81 - 43,822
    05/06 Incredible Hulk #95 - 46,571
    05/07 Incredible Hulk #106 - 110,192
    =====
    05/08 ---
    06/08 Hulk #4 - 101,927 ( +1.8%)
    07/08 ---
    08/08 Hulk #5 - 102,105 ( +0.2%)
    09/08 Hulk #6 - 117,807 (+15.4%)
    10/08 Hulk #7 - 110,261 ( -6.4%)
    11/08 Hulk #8 - 90,776 (-17.7%)
    12/08 Hulk #9 - 87,786 ( -3.3%)
    01/09 ---
    02/09 Hulk #10 - 77,217 (-12.0%)
    03/09 ---
    04/09 Hulk #11 - 82,726 ( +7.1%)
    05/09 Hulk #12 - 73,105 (-11.6%)
    6 mnth (-19.5%)
    1 year ( --- )
    2 year (-33.7%)
    3 year (+57.0%)
    4 year (+66.8%)
    5 year (+61.1%)
    Now while a lot of people would try to attribute the health of Loeb's run to variants, I'm willing to give retailers more credit.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Washington.... the state not the place with the monuments.

Loeb gets a lot of criticism for some of his more recent stuff. But I liked the Red Hulk book. It was enjoyable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Global Honored View Post
    Legit criticism would be criticism that stays on topic to this discussion. That's all I am asking and have asked. Stay on topic. Avoid name calling and creator bashing. Follow the rules of the forum and all.

As far as your concerns for Parker-Nova, that seems fair to me. You don't want a new Cosmic character that echoes the Peter Parker-esque underdog hero mold. I get it. Though many characters have followed that similar pattern, Rider himself started with some of those same Parker-esque traits. To each his own. I think it might work and from what I have seen in Issue 1, is on the right track. Again, just differing opinions.

Fact is, this isn't Richard Rider. It is a new character. If you don't want to get beyond that then surely you won't be able to enjoy the series. That is fine. We get it. Now let's focus the talk about the new series, and what/who IS in it, starting with this new #1.

Did you like the design for the "black hat" outfit at least?
    I think the point is that Rider evolved beyond those Parker traits into something BETTER - a mature leader of men. NINO takes us right back to 1976 - only he's not as good as the 1976 version. This is not only retreading Parker - it's retreading Rider. And NINO doesn't deserve to be in the same room as Parker or Rider. And no - I don't like the manga- inspired re-design of the uniform.

I think the point is that Rider evolved beyond those Parker traits into something BETTER - a mature leader of men. NINO takes us right back to 1976 - only he's not as good as the 1976 version. This is not only retreading Parker - it's retreading Rider. And NINO doesn't deserve to be in the same room as Parker or Rider. And no - I don't like the manga- inspired re-design of the uniform.
    Wow, after one issue, ok. At Least you gave it a chance

Anyways, what did others think of the new suits? I thought Ed's art was top notch and the colors were great. Hats off to the art team here. I dug the designs for his father's team too. I was always impressed with Granov's covers during the fabulous DnA era. Did you guys see his variant for this one? It Be Nice.

Splendiferous Spider Hero ImmortalIronFist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Global Honored View Post
    Heard a commercial for this on the radio today which driving. A Marvel NOW add for Nova as the new breakout hero, mentioned Loeb and Ed too. Aired on the Jay Mohr show.
    I heard ads back in the spring for AvX when that was Jim Rome's time slot here in Rochester.
    Hey, that tiger is flying a spaceship.

the gold gauntlets looked weird to me a first in how they let the fingers go uncovered, but the helmet design is lovely. I thought they were meant to be navy blue all this time,not black, but I guess the lighting schemes just naturally give way to being blueish as opposed to a grayer look about them. the star object on the helmet (the hell is that called?) looks good and aerodynamic by way of arching it back on top.

so I like the look, but nothing beats the DnA designed Nova. thats just killer, one of the best costumes ever.
    Steve Rogers: You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death?
    James Barnes: Hell, no! The little guy from Brooklyn who was too dumb not to run away from a fight. I'm following him."

Those were good. Maybe we will see some "Gold boys" soon. There seems to be a bit of a friendly rivalry between the black hats and gold from what is said in Issue #1.

Splendiferous Spider Hero ImmortalIronFist's Avatar

Listen, Rider is always going to be Nova to me, that's just how it is. It bugs me that Star-Lord and Thanos are back and Rider isn't, and we've got the kid from The Spidey tv show instead.

That being said, I liked this a lot more than I expected. The .1 definitely wasn't indicative of how good this was going to be, and my expectations were pretty low for everything but the art.

I do think there's something alternate universe about this though, given the time mismatches with GotG and Scott's comments while Dark Phoenix. Maybe Sam's dad does something bad while trying to recapture his former glory, and his family get transplanted to another Earth. Or maybe their crossing over universes is a consequence of that and the big multi-verse problems cropping up in Avengers and New Avengers, and this all ties back to the Infinity event that coming up somehow.
    Hey, that tiger is flying a spaceship.

Quote Originally Posted by 40yearoldnovafan View Post
    Yep - I was about to agree with Stingerman, and mention how Dark Scott mentioned this Nova does not belong here, but you beat me to it. Maybe the events in Annihilation, Thanos Imperative, and/or the Dark X-men story opened up another pocket universe. I think a lot of us fans forgot about "Sam's secret and him not belonging here."
    I had forgotten about that and had originally chalked it up to him being a newb an unimportant in Scott's eyes, but this adds a whole new layer of possibility.

Veteran Member

So basically, CBR isn't allowing any dissenting opinions about NINO or the creative process or the decisions Marvel Editorial makes? This thread is purely for abject fawning praise of NINO? Any dissent will be immediately erased upon detection? Fine that you and others like it. It's your money to spend, your right to say you like it, and your right to say why you like it. It's kind of abusing power to quash any dissent from those of us who don't like it. If that's the way it's going to be at CBR though - then you should at least label the thread as "Purely for Fawning Praise of Loeb's NINO - Dissenters Unwelcome." Political sites do that sort of thing all the time. At least it's honest in indicating that only one POV is welcome and tolerated.
    Do you get a royalty from Philips when you type "NINO"?

(Or am I the only one who remembers those devices?)

SW

Veteran Member

If they're going to call it "Nova" Volume V - then it only stands to reason that it be compared to all that came before it. And what exactly is "legitimate criticism?" I'm sure there would be quite a bit of disagreement on the definition of what's legitimate and what isn't. Alonso has said in an interview on this very site that NINO is the new Peter Parker. There are plenty of Parker cliches in #1. I didn't like them and didn't think they worked. How is that not a legitimate criticism?
    Hey, you didn't say NINO in this one! You okay?

SW

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    Hey, you didn't say NINO in this one! You okay?

SW
    Yes, he did. You earn an F for reading comprehension today.
    The Massive . Captain Marvel . Superior Foes of Spider-Man . B.P.R.D.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by saucemaster View Post
    Yes, he did. You earn an F for reading comprehension today.
    Gah! You're right! it was right in the middle!

Still...only one NINO? Shameful!

SW