Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,845

    Default "Batwoman" Story Arc Ends With A Proposal

    Even as DC Comics remains under fire for hiring anti-gay marriage activist Orson Scott Card for its new Superman anthology, the latest issue of "Batwoman" puts the issue of marriage equality front and center.


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    Senior Member A_Nominus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Odds are, likely far away from you.............or Toronto
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    A SPOILERS warning might have been nice.
    Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A_Nominus View Post
    A SPOILERS warning might have been nice.
    I agree. I won't read it until tomorrow and this just dissapointed me.

  4. #4
    Senior Member RKitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I agree. I won't read it until tomorrow and this just dissapointed me.
    While I was disappointed that I was spoiled, I'm glad this is happening.

  5. #5
    deep green nepenthes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ivy's Lair
    Posts
    6,026

    Default

    Added a spoiler warning. This is one worth keeping a surprise I think. I personally had no idea, and the smile on my face when I saw that page...

  6. #6
    Junior Member SS888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    100

    Default

    I think the bigger part of that scene is that Kate is telling Maggie she's Batwoman... sort of an awkward way to do that. I also think the bigger reveals are the next two pages and I am really excited to see where all of this goes but I will elaborate more in the discussion thread.

  7. #7
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,456

    Default

    Such a beautiful scene. Wasn't expecting Kate to tie any knots but I'm intrigued and this is a great comeback to the OSC situation.

  8. #8
    Senior Member RKitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Such a beautiful scene. Wasn't expecting Kate to tie any knots but I'm intrigued and this is a great comeback to the OSC situation.
    It's not necessarily a comeback since it was probably planned a while ago.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Retro315's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    6,702

    Default

    The OSC thing for me ends where it begins. I'm not going to buy it for my own reasons but it never reflected as a whole on the DC company. They're making great strides, and while their reaction should have been less defensive, or rote really, and their creators are generally progressive, it can't happen all the time, nor are their editors required to know every nasty fact about the occasional freelancer. They'll lose a chunk of change and hopefully they'll reexamine hiring him in the future. Moving right along, then ...

    Craziness. Just plain fun and craziness. Abbot's story comes to a close (perhaps ... probably ... definitely).
    Bette's new codename is bland but gets the point across (Hey, "Phoenix" is sort of already taken in comics).
    Sune? Alive. MIA. Possible future rogues gallery.
    The Hook? (Not the guy, the hook itself) MIA. Possible future rogues gallery.
    Bloody Mary? Shattered. She's already not really "alive" so to speak. Too good a concept not to be a possible future rogue.
    Croc? Actually nowhere to be seen. Back to normal I guess. You get beat up by Wonder Woman and have magic spells wear off of you. Probably in for a hangover of mythic proportions.

    Kate? Clear-mind, cool-head, and a great crowd-pleasing moment at the end. Possibly the worst 'identity reveal' ever, depending on the reply she gets.
    Maggie? Oh man this'll be a doozy. What's her reaction? Nice tease for their future storyline together.
    Diana? Throughout all of it she's maintained her New 52 status pretty well. Same holds true for how she leaves us - as well as the World's Finest BFF status.
    Chase? Well that is the question. Not much resolved here, except a sort of "more about Chase later" look we get from her. But that leads into the last page reveals.

    Which are crazy. The first aspect comes as no surprise but is welcome now, many issues later. The second thing had me going, though. What? How? Who? How? When?
    Last edited by Retro315; 02-20-2013 at 09:29 AM.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

  10. #10

    Talking Can I just say one thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Retro315 View Post
    The OSC thing for me ends where it begins. I'm not going to buy it for my own reasons but it never reflected as a whole on the DC company. They're making great strides, and while their reaction should have been less defensive, or rote really, and their creators are generally progressive, it can't happen all the time, nor are their editors required to know every nasty fact about the occasional freelancer. They'll lose a chunk of change and hopefully they'll reexamine hiring him in the future. Moving right along, then ...
    I can see how that might look: Have you now, or have you ever been against gay marriage? Maybe they can have special congressional hearings for all comic book/entertainment writers...just to make sure they're politically on board with DC Comics.

    The average age of comic book readers is 30. I'm pretty sure that a thirty year old is quite capable of reading a fictional story written by someone with an opposing political viewpoint. Especially when the "progressive" comic book company asserts that a 13 year old is just fine reading stories involving near-strangers sleeping together, a character having his face cut off, animals and "children' being killed with swords and and images of strippers/women running around in their underwear in fight scenes. But, someone saying "I don't agree with these politics" in his own free time, shouldn't be a problem for 30 year olds. Or even 13 year olds

    The guy was hired to write comics which probably has nothing whatsoever to do with gays. marriage. or gay marriage. I don't really care what the politics of a comic book writer is, as long as he/she can FREAKING WRITE! Tell me a story. Keep the characters in character. Don't make the plot holes (if any) too big. If he's a good writer, keep him on. If not, fire him.

  11. #11
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scouter227 View Post
    I can see how that might look: Have you now, or have you ever been against gay marriage? Maybe they can have special congressional hearings for all comic book/entertainment writers...just to make sure they're politically on board with DC Comics.

    The average age of comic book readers is 30. I'm pretty sure that a thirty year old is quite capable of reading a fictional story written by someone with an opposing political viewpoint. Especially when the "progressive" comic book company asserts that a 13 year old is just fine reading stories involving near-strangers sleeping together, a character having his face cut off, animals and "children' being killed with swords and and images of strippers/women running around in their underwear in fight scenes. But, someone saying "I don't agree with these politics" in his own free time, shouldn't be a problem for 30 year olds. Or even 13 year olds

    The guy was hired to write comics which probably has nothing whatsoever to do with gays. marriage. or gay marriage. I don't really care what the politics of a comic book writer is, as long as he/she can FREAKING WRITE! Tell me a story. Keep the characters in character. Don't make the plot holes (if any) too big. If he's a good writer, keep him on. If not, fire him.
    I don't think many people see it as a difference in political views. It's quite a different thing altogether that OSC thinks certain people should be denied the same rights as everyone else. I can understand why some people are upset about this, given what he's written about homosexuality. There was also controversy when OSC was hired to write Dragon Age comics, since the games have gay and bisexual characters in their narrative.

    As for the OP, I think it's an interesting development for Batwoman. I wonder what Maggie's reaction will be.

  12. #12

    Default

    It's all politics.

    Also, DC happens to have editors who can white out any opposing viewpoints if the 30 year olds can't handle them.

  13. #13

    Default

    Six months ago, I'd literally never read a comic book before. On a whim, I decided to buy Issue 1 of that Batwoman series I kept hearing about on Tumblr on the DC app - and ended blowing through the first 12 issues in one afternoon. The whole storyline that began in Issue #1 wraps up in today's Issue #17. Even though I've read a couple hundred comics since last September, this 17-issue epic still stands out as the single best superhero story I've ever read. It brilliantly combines classic comic tropes (like Police Investigator Maggie's continued inability to figure out that the masked vigilante she's hunting down is actually her sweet, innocent civilian girlfriend Kate Kane) with modern touches (nearly every character on every side of the massive war for Gotham City is fully characterized as a believable human being - even the ones who aren't actually human beings). And author JH Williams III takes advantage of the fact that these aren't 70-year-old characters with monolithic status quos to actually make his creations grow and change in unexpected and exciting ways. It's all available for only $34 on the DC app and Comixology.com. (If I seem like I'm shamelessly advertising here, it's because it deserves it.)

    As for whether this is a Card response: I doubt it. Williams says this twist has been in the works since Rucka's arc, and it was sent to the printers long before this controversy started.

  14. #14
    Fortuna Favet Fortibus The Lucky One's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
    Posts
    6,633

    Default

    Man, that thread title is a c-tease for anyone waiting patiently for Stephanie Brown's return...

    -D
    "I love the nostalgic, myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
    ~Walt Disney

    The Impulsive Buy
    Mutant Reviewers From Hell

  15. #15
    Glitter and Gold AlfredIslas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    313

    Default

    I want to see this big lesbian marriage. They can make this even bigger than the Northstar marriage!!! Get. That. PR.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •