Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default Birds of Prey #17 Preview/Discussion

http://mancave.cbslocal.com/2013/02/...usive-preview/

Hope it's a good conclusion for Duane's run.

Yes, Black Canary. Kill all as in Strix PLEASE. So this Strix chick was taught how to read and write but not to talk or speak? Maybe she's mute but... JUST KILL THAT HORRIBLE MESS OF A CHARACTER OFF ALREADY DEAR GOD.

Eh. Not sure if I'm gonna bother buying this. This series really dropped off around the time Saiz left, and I'm at the point where I think half the team is lame.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfredIslas View Post
    So this Strix chick was taught how to read and write but not to talk or speak?
    She's physically disfigured to the point where shy can literally not speak. So, way to make your self look like you have no idea what you're talking about, because, you know, you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    She's physically disfigured to the point where shy can literally not speak. So, way to make your self look like you have no idea what you're talking about, because, you know, you don't.
    Where did I say I knew why she couldn't speak or not? There was a question mark behind it for a reason.

This arguing and fighting with Strix thing got old fast.

Veteran Member

I thought this was a decent but kinda unsatisfying conclusion to Duane's run.

As usual there were some subplots that Duane did'nt bother to finish and the team itself did'nt seemed better at the end of the issue. Plus, I hate Condor and I hope he does'nt stays on the title.

I really hope that Christy Marx does a better job or at least gives her stories a proper conclusion.

I hated on Christy Marx but now I'm holding out hope. I just got into Jem and I really like it. Christy work your girly magic on BoP!!! I want musical numbers in a comic! MAKE IT WORK!!!

Oh yeah and my review on this issue: Below average but I chuckled at one of Starling's lines and I guess we know a bit of why Dinah is such a mess.
    Last edited by AlfredIslas; 02-20-2013 at 08:11 PM.

I can't get over how crappy and useless this issue was.

Not one damn thing has happened or was accomplished in 17 issues. Nothing has been explained or solved in terms of Dinahs powers. Nothing is explained or resolved about Starling. Not one 'story' had a real ending or explanation. Good riddance to Duane. He wasted 17 issues and left the book with sales in the toilet. Hopefully Christy can salvage this book.
    "Of all people, you know who I am...who the world needs me to be. I'm Wonder Woman."

Veteran Member

Yeah, I'm surprised about how many subplot he left unresolved.

Forget about editorial interference (Which was definitely present), a good writer still knows how to play with it and sometimes even exploit on his/her favor. In Duane's case he could'nt resolve absolutely nothing that he was developing, not even Starling's supposed lover who I thought that was going to play an important part on the story but Duane could'nt even bother to explore the character that he created.

God, he is one of the most frustrating writers that I've ever seen.

Which is weird, because the other stuff I've read that he's written hasn't had the problems Birds developed.

Regardless, hopefully when Marx takes over next month, it hits the ground running. The wheels have been spinning for a few months now.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spark627 View Post
    Not one d*** thing has happened or was accomplished in 17 issues. Nothing has been explained or solved in terms of Dinah's powers. Nothing is explained or resolved about Starling. Not one 'story' had a real ending or explanation. Good riddance to Duane. He wasted 17 issues and left the book with sales in the toilet. Hopefully Christy can salvage this book.
    Can't disagree with a single thing stated here, QFT.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    Can't disagree with a single thing stated here, QFT.
    This, so much. I wanted to give Duane the benefit of the doubt early on, but if anything the writing got worse as his run went on. Only reason I didn't drop it months ago was the promise of a new writer. I REALLY hope Marx can turn things around, because I love the characters.

This book has had some amazing characters and potential stories in its short run and none of it was ever explored.. :(

I hope the series can be saved with Christy.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

And so has The Doom Patrol in it's long history had some great arcs and some real stinkers over the decades. But sometimes it's just time to give a title a rest until it can get a proper reboot, and I feel that the Birds just aren't working in the here and now, and should probably just get discontinued for a few years and get brought back at a later date some years down the road.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Quote Originally Posted by spark627 View Post
    Not one damn thing has happened or was accomplished in 17 issues. Nothing has been explained or solved in terms of Dinahs powers. Nothing is explained or resolved about Starling. Not one 'story' had a real ending or explanation.
    Have to agree with this. I followed the first 8 issues or so, Poison Ivy was the hook admittedly but Saiz' art and the team dynamics kept it rolling along. Also Starling, what a babe. But two arcs in a row with literally no ending and no overall direction to the title is not amusing. I tried to hang on after Ivy and Saiz left since Foreman is no slouch, incredible artist actually, but then take him away with no equal replacement and then add this Strix, a fucken Owl? No deal.