Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Mieville Rings Up Wonder with "Dial H"

Hugo Award-winning writer China Miéville spoke passionately with CBR about "Dial H" and shared his plans to stick with the title for as long as DC Comics and his faithful readers will have him.

Full article here.

BANNED

Oh wow, I haven't seen him interview in a while.

It's always interesting to see an interview where it's just so clear that the interviewee 'gets it'. "it" being the complexities of how to tell a story, when to push forward, when to pull back, the context in which they exist (re:originality), the dynamic he is trying to establish. There are a number of times in which the interviewer blatantly mis-reads the original text, or uses some cringingly familiar genre cliche, and Mieville sort of gently corrects or disavows without directly noting it.

It's clear the guy is absurdly skilled. These are the kinds of interviews you rarely see outside of a Morrison.

Anyway, loving the book and would love to see more comics out of Mieville, if he has the time and inclination. I think he'd be remarkably well suited to a number of both big (Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman) and small (Doom Patrol, Seven Soldiers, any of the other dark books) properties at DC.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Very nice interview. It shows that Mieville really understands and cares for the world he is writing. It is clearly more than just another writing gig for him. I'm a big fan of his novels and I'm happy to see him carry over his skill to comics.

Is... is that last one the Nu52 Defenestrator?

Interesting interview. I'm glad to see Mieville still has long term plans for this book. Hopefully DC let him get on with and we get a similar situation to what Marvel have going on with PAD in X-factor. Leave him to it in his own corner of the universe. Admittedly that title is selling more than Dial H. Hopefully trade sales and/or digital sales are enough to keep this title going.

Just when this book was in danger of falling off of my pull list, I read this interview.

The guys enthusiasm is infectious! Good timing, CBR...

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd love to see this guy on Action Comics.

I'm surprised Dial H hasn't be cancelled, but thankful to whatever's keeping it going!

Hopefully Mieville'll get the chance to get involved with some other titles, too.

Ok, is it just me, or are some of the interviews we've been reading today actually fun and informative?
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

BANNED

Look up China Mieville's interviews on YouTube (about his books). The guy is really savvy and smart about what he's doing.

Default Dial H world-building

I've been hoping that all of the planets the Dial has been ringing up were all of the planets referenced throughout the new 52 and Dial would be the comic that makes sense of it all. In other words, the Dial would ring up the Flash as the hero from that planet. Does that make sense at all?

I love the hell out of this book. I certainly hope that it and he keep going for awhile.

I too hope Miťville gets to tell the complete story he wants to tell, but even if he doesn't we'll still have whatever number issues he gets to. Like anything Miťville does, it's filled with thought but also with wonder and amazing ideas. This guy is amazing.

And hey, if this book does end, there's still his novels, to which I am in a constant state of looking-forward-to-ness.