Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 157
  1. #46
    Laser Life Phantom Bravery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Left Coast
    Posts
    421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fod_xp View Post

    This book has no future
    Zzzzzzzzzzz
    The Avengers can go fuck themselves." -Elizabeth Braddock

  2. #47
    Veteran Member gregyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fod_xp View Post
    I had a Professor in University that answered questions and lectured just like Bendis. That is to say, Bendis doesn't know anything and says to read the book. My professor's similar response was "take my other class." This wasn't much of an X-Postion other than Bendis promoting his book with the same answer: "take my other class." His only answer was "read the book!" and I felt he had zero knowledge of anything X-related outside of the Fox X-Men movie Franchise. What a waste. When someone says: "gee that's a good question" or "very good question" it immediately means that person has no answer to give or knowledge of the material and is filling time in order to cop out something. It's used a lot on Television talk shows and especially by News Broadcast pundits.

    This book has no future; however, Bendis is running the show and more power to him, despite my protests and dislike of his writing style.
    So, if all the questions that were asked are answered in upcoming issues, will you be prepared to eat a proportionate amount of crow? Because you should.

  3. #48
    GUILTY Phoenix Egg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX by way of the WHR
    Posts
    7,047

    Default

    I was excited to read this today, only to find out that the interview about Bendis' X-Men book is next week. Ah well.

    As for this interview, anybody hoping for some awesome, evil mutant deatheaters? Kill all the half-bloods!
    Favorites: Jean Grey, Storm, The Wolverine, The Iceman, The Beast, The Rogue, Kid Omega, Oya, Broo, Kid Gladiator, Mags, Pryde
    The Diary of a Supa-Cool Nerd!

  4. #49
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Islanded in a stream of stars
    Posts
    13,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gregyo View Post
    So, if all the questions that were asked are answered in upcoming issues, will you be prepared to eat a proportionate amount of crow? Because you should.
    Naw, he isn't worth it. I can always whip out a copy of Brian K. Vaughan's Saga, Chris Roberson's iZombie, or for a better X-Men book, Chris Claremont's X-Men Forever. Still waiting for Scott to save his son Nathan so he could get his porridge. Fuck that is still eating away at my soul!!! Does NATHAN GET HIS PORRIDGE!!??!one1?questionmark

    Added for curiosity: Gregyo and Phantom Blaster, have either of you read Brian Michael Bendis' various Avenger books? Not just the recent ones, but Bendis' Avengers: Disassembled franchise event reboot, his various New Avenger books, his short stint on Mighty Avengers, his bland Dark Age Avengers, or afterwards? I am genuinely curious do the both of you have a basic understanding of how bad this is going to get? Bendis is much like Matt Fraction; he writes better solo books, and Bendis' style is always a "street team" and he like to have Luke Cage constantly say "let's hit the streets" when shit goes down, as apparently "hitting the streets" is considered strategic and tactical brilliance. His Powers book is much better, I will say.
    Last edited by fod_xp; 02-19-2013 at 06:47 PM.

  5. #50
    Senior Member I'm Not Daredevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    They should really do these types of interviews more often. I really enjoyed that, every question was an interesting one. I'm really excited for the future of both ANXM and UXM.

  6. #51
    Veteran Member gregyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fod_xp View Post
    Naw, he isn't worth it. I can always whip out a copy of Brian K. Vaughan's Saga, Chris Roberson's iZombie, or for a better X-Men book, Chris Claremont's X-Men Forever. Still waiting for Scott to save his son Nathan so he could get his porridge. Fuck that is still eating away at my soul!!! Does NATHAN GET HIS PORRIDGE!!??!one1?questionmark

    Added for curiosity: Gregyo and Phantom Blaster, have either of you read Brian Michael Bendis' various Avenger books? Not just the recent ones, but Bendis' Avengers: Disassembled franchise event reboot, his various New Avenger books, his short stint on Mighty Avengers, his bland Dark Age Avengers, or afterwards? I am genuinely curious do the both of you have a basic understanding of how bad this is going to get? Bendis is much like Matt Fraction; he writes better solo books, and Bendis' style is always a "street team" and he like to have Luke Cage constantly say "let's hit the streets" when shit goes down, as apparently "hitting the streets" is considered strategic and tactical brilliance. His Powers book is much better, I will say.
    Yeah, I read that. I understand Bendis's flaws as a writer, lord knows how often I've complained about how he writes women, but I don't think you're judging his Q&A by a fair standard. You blamed him for not answering questions (even accusing him of flat-out ignorance of the material) when he said those questions will be answered in upcoming issues.

    I was just asking if you would rethink those accusations if those questions that you accused him of dodging were, in fact, answered in said upcoming issues.

  7. #52
    Valued Member Since 2008 semicyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fod_xp View Post
    I had a Professor in University that answered questions and lectured just like Bendis. That is to say, Bendis doesn't know anything and says to read the book. My professor's similar response was "take my other class." This wasn't much of an X-Postion other than Bendis promoting his book with the same answer: "take my other class." His only answer was "read the book!" and I felt he had zero knowledge of anything X-related outside of the Fox X-Men movie Franchise. What a waste. When someone says: "gee that's a good question" or "very good question" it immediately means that person has no answer to give or knowledge of the material and is filling time in order to cop out something. It's used a lot on Television talk shows and especially by News Broadcast pundits.

    This book has no future; however, Bendis is running the show and more power to him, despite my protests and dislike of his writing style.
    I, for one, am glad he didn't answer further than he did. I LIKE actually reading the comic books for the details. I like the twists a good writer can get a character into and how he twists them out of it. I'm still deciding whether Bendis is writing a good X-Men story but overall, I'm pretty happy with the things he wants to explore.

    Sometimes writers fake it in interviews but Bendis gave the issue number for some of the questions so it's hyperbolic to say Bendis doesn't "know anything". Exploration of Emma's perspective, for example, happens in #2 where we've seen the previews. Pretty sure that Bendis knows what he wrote there and is saying your question is most entertainingly answered in the comic book itself, not this interview. Still, he's teased the new concept of "pure mutants", clarified the difference between how the public and the superhuman communities sees Cyclops, stated that Cyclops/Emma are not "the best couple" and re-emphasized the odd tragedy he wants to explore with Magik.

  8. #53
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Islanded in a stream of stars
    Posts
    13,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gregyo View Post
    Yeah, I read that. I understand Bendis's flaws as a writer, lord knows how often I've complained about how he writes women, but I don't think you're judging his Q&A by a fair standard. You blamed him for not answering questions (even accusing him of flat-out ignorance of the material) when he said those questions will be answered in upcoming issues.

    I was just asking if you would rethink those accusations if those questions that you accused him of dodging were, in fact, answered in said upcoming issues.
    No. I'd say he was doing his job and needs to interview better in the future. You don't get a gold star for doing your job. His job is writing comics. He delivers or he doesn't. It's all on Bendis.

  9. #54

    Default

    Yes Bendis you are correct! Keep destroying that crap Emma/Scott relationship, that was probably the worst thing to ever happen to the X-Men. Can't wait till Namor shows up to take Emma away, and Jean/Scott reunite

  10. #55
    Veteran Member gregyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fod_xp View Post
    No. I'd say he was doing his job and needs to interview better in the future. You don't get a gold star for doing your job. His job is writing comics. He delivers or he doesn't. It's all on Bendis.
    It's not like he can control the questions being asked. I'll tell you this. If I had already written the answer to a question being asked in an interview, I probably wouldn't answer it either.

    Spurrier says to keep reading a lot in his interviews as well, but I don't remember you being so critical of his interviews.

  11. #56
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Islanded in a stream of stars
    Posts
    13,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by semicyon View Post
    I, for one, am glad he didn't answer further than he did. I LIKE actually reading the comic books for the details. I like the twists a good writer can get a character into and how he twists them out of it. I'm still deciding whether Bendis is writing a good X-Men story but overall, I'm pretty happy with the things he wants to explore.

    Sometimes writers fake it in interviews but Bendis gave the issue number for some of the questions so it's hyperbolic to say Bendis doesn't "know anything". Exploration of Emma's perspective, for example, happens in #2 where we've seen the previews. Pretty sure that Bendis knows what he wrote there and is saying your question is most entertainingly answered in the comic book itself, not this interview. Still, he's teased the new concept of "pure mutants", clarified the difference between how the public and the superhuman communities sees Cyclops, stated that Cyclops/Emma are not "the best couple" and re-emphasized the odd tragedy he wants to explore with Magik.
    Except those examples show hoe out of touch with the X-Men comics he is. Scott and Emma were never supposed to be "the best couple." That's a misconception on Bendis' part. I have no problem with him not giving out details, but he really needs to learn how to interview better because he sounds exactly like a pundit on Fox News, trying to say something, but actually saying nothing important. Also, this "not pure mutant" vs "pure mutant" really shows Bendis has no idea about X-Men mythos.

    An X-Gene activated at puberty is was makes a mutant a mutant, even so, most mutants before M-Day and Decimation had either one or two human parents. Take the Guthrie family; Ma Guthrie and Pa Guthrie are both humans, normal everyday flatscans. However, almost all of their children, which is a lot [at least 6-two not being mutants], were born X-Gene positive. How does that make you more of a mutant than say someone with an active X-Gene from the Phoenix.

    And before you say "The Phoenix did blah blah blah" The X-Gene was artificially created by the God-like beings called the Celestial. Which means the X-Gene and mutants are not natural, they were genetically engineered by these beings and placed on Earth. Yes, this is canon and not made up, go research it.

    I'll let Emma slide because it's obvious he understands her character about as much as Matt Fraction did, and it's hopeless to even go there.

  12. #57
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Islanded in a stream of stars
    Posts
    13,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gregyo View Post
    It's not like he can control the questions being asked. I'll tell you this. If I had already written the answer to a question being asked in an interview, I probably wouldn't answer it either.

    Spurrier says to keep reading a lot in his interviews as well, but I don't remember you being so critical of his interviews.
    That's because he interviews well and is amazing to read all his interviews. I could actually read his comic book interviews all day and night, even if he says go read the book. He's entertaining, well read, funny, sharp witted, and completely knows his stuff. Spurrier is a gem, and deserves respect and praise. Reading his interviews is pure joy. Who cares about the book, he's always got some crazy thing to say, or an anecdote worth the read through.

    Which is why I say Bendis needs to learn how to interview better, he doesn't have any of that when you compare him to reading a Si Spurrier interview.

  13. #58

    Default

    You know, it's nice to see that such an underexposed writer like Brian Bendis is finally gattin his chance to shine.
    The Francis Underwood of the comic scene. Pop Pop.
    Last edited by Spidey Sense; 02-19-2013 at 07:38 PM.

  14. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    a little bitter thunderbird gets no respect from bendis. 3 panels! smh white eyes.
    And here I was thinking the same thing

  15. #60
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    24,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fod_xp View Post
    I have no problem with him not giving out details, but he really needs to learn how to interview better because he sounds exactly like a pundit on Fox News, trying to say something, but actually saying nothing important.
    let's dial it back, nutty-rice.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •