Hybrid View

Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default GIANT-SIZE X-POSITION: The "Uncanny" Brian Bendis - Part 1

In the first of a two-part GIANT-SIZE X-POSITION, "Uncanny X-Men" scribe Brian Michael Bendis answers fan questions about Cyclops' underground mutant team and the recently-relaunched series' future.

Full article here.

All Bendis has said in the interview, in summary, is "wait and see". We're waiting. All-New X-Men is the best X-Men book in years, but Uncanny felt odd, unfortunately. Let's hope it can pick up the pace.

BANNED

grrr no namor because jonathan hickman refuses to share.

Quote Originally Posted by msarsur View Post
    All Bendis has said in the interview, in summary, is "wait and see". We're waiting. All-New X-Men is the best X-Men book in years, but Uncanny felt odd, unfortunately. Let's hope it can pick up the pace.
    Funny I felt the opposite. I've found All New very dull but thought that first issue of Uncanny was top notch. I thought it a good interview too. He seemed to take time with the questions.
    http://blanchett.t15.org
    Please pledge only 5 days left for Kirsten Vangness' hilarious Kill Me Deadly movie!http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lm-noir-comedy

No Sage questions? Missed opportunity...
    Brian Michael Bendis:

"There are no B-Listers. They are all A-Listers in the eyes of the right creative team.

Except Dazzler. she kind of [sucks]."

Real question is why don't we get that level of quality in the queries selected every week. Seriously, all the questions were interesting, you can tell an effort was put into that.
    X-Poster of the Month: March (and February) 2014

who wouldn't want to be a pretty slut vs an ugly forever ?
    ~~ forgotten poster

I like that we were provided specific areas to which questions will be addressed, along with implications based on what little we know of upcoming stories.

I enjoyed the interview and it has me excited for future issues of both ANX and UXM
    cpjudd.com

"Um, blah, blah, blah. And, Girl Power. Feminism, d'you know what I mean?"

I come out of that interview happy with the direction. Still say All-New X-Men is my favorite Marvel product coming out right now that we've gotten a good taste of. If he can keep Uncanny in the same mold, I see no reason it should be drastically different.
    Ranking the Periods of X-Men History
    X-Book Marvel NOW Timeline
    X-Poster of the Month: April 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    I'd rather have Namor exclusively in the safe, caring hands of Hickman.Bendis has done a descent job writing Namor before (in the Illuminati stories), but I thought the same about him writing Emma in Cabal, so I'd rather not risk it.

I've been spoiled by the accelerated release schedule, the fact that there isn't either ANXM or UXM this week makes it a long and difficult wait for another week? When does ANXM 8 come out? The previews are doing what they're meant to, I can't wait. They now do previews of previews, first the advanced unlettered preview. Then the Thursday, 6 days before release 3 or 4 page lettered preview.

Also the 50th anniversary in Sept? I wonder if only Uncanny issues will be counted to arrive at issue 600. 544 of Vol.1 plus 20 Gillen issues, makes the latest Uncanny number 565. I doubt one can get 35 issues out by Sept without counting All New.

Quote Originally Posted by msarsur View Post
    I got that feeling too but we pretty much know the status quo on All-New whereas Bendis is working on setting up the status quo on Uncanny. The X-Men in All-New are basically the same Wolverine group we've had since Wolverine & the X-Men began only with the 05 added to the mix. With Uncanny there are a lot of unknown elements. In particular why is Magneto's powers effected? He wasn't one of the Phoenix Five so why is he included with the power changes the Phoenix Five have right now? I like how Cyclops took something bad (Weapon X facility) and is trying to make something good out of it by honoring Xaiver with creating a new Xaiver school. I feel some of the younger X-characters might be leaving W&tXM to head there. Probably some that haven't been used much if at all. Would be interesting to see as none of us really know who Bendis likes out of the young X-Men. A lot of mystery up in the air and frankly I'm glad for it. Comics as with anything are more enjoyable when you don't know what's coming next....

That said Cyclops's group can use some telepaths (can anyone say Cuckoo?) since Emma no longer has telepathy. W&TXM/ANXM have an abudence of telepaths. Would be interesting to have Quentin join the group as he's a rebel or one or more of the unused Cuckoos. I feel Cyclops the younger version might go off with his older self even though he doesn't like what he turns into he's not exactly feeling the love with Wolverine's group. I'd laugh if young Beast goes with Cyclops as his older self can no longer stand his old one-eyed (figuratively-speaking) friend. Bendis has to keep the Iceman/Iceman combo cause the humor there cracks me up! I'd like to see older Iceman teach his younger self how to use his powers and be more aggressive. I'd hate to see Jean end up with Cyclops. Let the changes to the original 05 make her turn away from Scott young and old and take a different path that saves her future self. Man I miss Archangel. I loved Remender's storyline (Dark Angel Saga) but I hate where it left Angel. Never could stand the original one. He got wings, he can fly. In today's Marvel Universe that doesn't mean much. He'd get his butt kicked in most battles without the metal wings, healing factor and knife blades. Archangel enhanced the character the same way the changes to Bucky making him Winter Soldier made that character cool.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    I think Bendis is just respecting Hickman's work rather than Hickman making these demands because there is a lot of time Namor isn't being used outside of New Avengers. Heck Reed is able to be off in other galaxies while still working with the Illumanati so why couldn't Namor be doing his own thing as well? I think Bendis is just waiting for the right time to use Namor and it's depending on when Bendis feels is the right time to use him, but nice to see Bendis aknowledging that he does intend to use him as Namor is one of my favorite characters who sometimes goes into limbo. Also don't want to bring him back too soon cause it's a mystery how the group feels about him. Outside of Cyclops killing Professor X Namor did the most harm in AvX of the Phoenix Five so it'll be interesting to see how the group feels about him and vice versa. If he rejoins the team though I see him and Emma being a couple. Too interesting not to do as Namor has a thing for blondes (ask Sue Richards).

So it's confirmed that Xavier is hitching a ride in Magnus head then.
    X-Poster of the Month: March (and February) 2014

who wouldn't want to be a pretty slut vs an ugly forever ?
    ~~ forgotten poster

edit: didnt include the quote about xavier hitching a ride in magneto's head....wonder if this would create a kind of "reverse onslaught"?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetdumbass View Post
    So it's confirmed that Xavier is hitching a ride in Magnus head then.
    Wow, I didn't catch that in his answer, and I am not reading Uncanny X-Men. But I am reading Uncanny Avengers, and Red Skull has used Xavier's brain to give himself Xavier's mutant powers. I would think that might have prevented a download of Xavier's consciousness into Magneto, but I am probably wrong. That is actually a really cool idea!

I can't wait for issue #2 of UXM

I want to know what Emma thinks