Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Nice art as ever but the ending of such a huge arc felt rushed to me, it all seemed too wrapped up a little too quickly & easily for me. Glad to see the back of this story arc as it has dragged on way too long. The resurrection of her sister makes me look forward to the next storyline though, wasn't expecting to see Bones being the one behind it.

Welcome to the Future. HeroxMatt2.0's Avatar

Yeah, there's definitely going to be some big twists. I think the DEO has more to do with the Kane's history than they realise.
    You are an apocalypse dreaming of butterflies
    and
    we are a patchwork of miracles.

Ok, forgive my ignorance but Ceto is a giant, reality destroying mother of all monsters right? That I get. But then Medusa dies and she's just a normal magical lady who was only a reality destroying monster because that's what Medusa wanted? What does that mean? I don't get it...

I didn't think it was possible for a grown man to fall in love with a comic book, but then Batwoman #17 came along...
    Is it possible to marry a comic book? What about in Japan.

Everything about this was perfect. The art, the characters, the twists.
    It should have been impossible,n but they managed to wrap up a 17 issue arc with satisfying beats for all the characters. Plus the biggest and best final page twist in Batwoman yet.
    And of course, that kiss. For once, I hope they hype the heck out of this.
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

This book was fantastic. Unearned nature of the cliffhanger aside (I don't REALLY care, I'm just saying...), this book just did everything perfectly. Dense, surprising, characterful, gorgeous. It's hard to believe all this happened in just one issue.

Wonderful.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

The things I loved were: Ceto and her story with a fresh beginning, liberated Sun and the ending.
    Bones being RoC brother was doozy.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    The things I loved were: Ceto and her story with a fresh beginning, liberated Sun and the ending.
    Bones being RoC brother was doozy.
    I'm still not convinced the 'sister' thing only had to do with the Religion of Crime.

Kate isn't a member of that cult, no? So why would she be 'our' sister?
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    I'm still not convinced the 'sister' thing only had to do with the Religion of Crime.

They're fanatics? They have some new prophecy which debunks the old one, or he's the member of the new cult? They might try to change her opinion by the next phase of some evil plot?
    It's easier for me to think this way, than Bones to be be their brother from the mother, or father, or just long lost brother. I'm so tired of that cliche.

Quote Originally Posted by Officersmile1466 View Post
    Ok, forgive my ignorance but Ceto is a giant, reality destroying mother of all monsters right? That I get. But then Medusa dies and she's just a normal magical lady who was only a reality destroying monster because that's what Medusa wanted? What does that mean? I don't get it...
    Ceto is a story, a force. The gods are what we believe them to be, to some extent. Ceto is many things to many people; to some she is the destroyer of everything, the implacable mother of all monsters. To others she is the mistreated and unfairly maligned mother of diversity.

The point is that stories, and myth, are malleable, and that perspective is important. Once Medusa, who summoned Ceto and therefore imposed upon her the preconceived notions of what Ceto was, what she needed Ceto to be, once Medusa died she was free to be something else.

It's allegorical, I think. We fill the roles those around us expect us to fill; that's why, after Kate sees this, she stops filling those roles. She destroys the surveillance equipment (or gives it up to Wonder Woman, which is the same thing) and so she throws off the role of spy that the DEO have imposed upon her; she reveals her identity to Maggie, and so she throws off the secretive nature of her identity, imposed upon her by the genre trope and the Bat-clan; she asks Maggie to marry her, throwing off the self imposed mandate to be self destructive, depressed, isolated.

The whole arc has been transformative, in that way; Ceto goes off to become something new, something different; Kate does too; Abbott becomes a hero; Bette becomes Hawkfire; Maro is finally free, saying 'my life is my own', to become what she wants to become; the hook becomes something new (a crab, historically a symbol for rebirth and renewal as they shed their shells as they get new ones).

They're fanatics? They have some new prophecy which debunks the old one, or he's the member of the new cult? They might try to change her opinion by the next phase of some evil plot?
    It's easier for me to think this way, than Bones to be be their brother from the mother, or father, or just long lost brother. I'm so tired of that cliche.
    Me too, and I hope you're right. I'm just saying I'm not convinced. :)

Ugh, just looked over JHW III twitter feed and they're related. That put the kibosh on my theory and enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post

There is something going on with this Religion of Crime business. One aspect they haven't picked up relating to Batwoman was the fact that Renee was a member before the NU52 started. Mind you that said is Renee still alive or even existing after NU52?

Desaad, you're killing me with symbolism and analysis and make me appreciate it more than I was willing to. :)

Ugh, just looked over JHW III twitter feed and they're related. That put the kibosh on my theory and enjoyment.
    Sorry, brotha. Not loving it in theory, but lets wait and see the execution!

Desaad, you're killing me with symbolism and analysis and make me appreciate it more than I was willing to. :)
    Glad it's useful to someone, at least! I've been accused of liking the sound of my own voice. :)