Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    It's only been five issues. I've been loving the action personally. Gorr's character arc has been fascinating. He's morphing into that which he hates, a god. Instead of merely being a super-assassin, he's garnered slaves and is seemingly trying to create his own version of utopia. Aaron is definitely going to quite some lengths to establish this villain.
    Despite the fact it's only 5 issues in, it's been 5 issues of 3 Thors getting battered from pillar to post from the start. I would like to think we would at least see a more creative use of his powers for defense purposes. The book has a nice 'Gothic warrior, bloody Conan' type style to it, but Thor is more than Conan with a hammer. You can count the times Thor has used other forms of energy attacks with Mjolnir since 2007 on one hand. This shows that writers are stripping the character down and getting rid of his more exotic powers. We barely see any strength feats anymore, just swinging with a hammer and YAAWWWNNN lightning ( yes i think we have all guessed Thor is God of Thunder).

Maybe we will get a god blast from Thor as the perfect response to a god killer at the payoff, for us loyal fans mate but somehow i doubt it.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Good issue but the arc is going on for too long.

I also agree with blakkrussian, it's time for Thor to break out his more exotic abilities.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by blakkrussian View Post
    Despite the fact it's only 5 issues in, it's been 5 issues of 3 Thors getting battered from pillar to post from the start. I would like to think we would at least see a more creative use of his powers for defense purposes. The book has a nice 'Gothic warrior, bloody Conan' type style to it, but Thor is more than Conan with a hammer. You can count the times Thor has used other forms of energy attacks with Mjolnir since 2007 on one hand. This shows that writers are stripping the character down and getting rid of his more exotic powers. We barely see any strength feats anymore, just swinging with a hammer and YAAWWWNNN lightning ( yes i think we have all guessed Thor is God of Thunder).

Maybe we will get a god blast from Thor as the perfect response to a god killer at the payoff, for us loyal fans mate but somehow i doubt it.
    Gorr is very strong he has those minions that can tear gods down that is a part of Gorr himself.
    And come on it is Thor he is fighting, Thor who can defeat most of the Marvel Universe.

I haven't really been as big a fan of this run as many of you. I think it's been good solid stuff, but unremarkable, sort of middling.

But this issue was great, for the first time. This was easily the best of the run, and the best thing out of Marvel this week.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I've been enjoying it. It's building a new part of the Thor mythology. Putting pieces in place. It's bound to be a slow burner at first. I imagine just like the LOTR it's building into a crescendo of amazing... ness.

I do agree with the guy saying Thor seems to have been diluted in recent years. Mjolnir can do more than hit people and summon lightning. Kirby and Simonson deem it so.

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    Good issue but the arc is going on for too long.
    Too long? How long should story arcs be, 2-3 issues? I'll take longer arcs any time, as it's a lot easier for the writer to tell a good story and build up his characters, which he is doing in this case, than having to cram everything into a few issues so he can get to the next story arc as fast as possible.
    Last edited by wiski; 02-21-2013 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voulge View Post
    Gorr is very strong he has those minions that can tear gods down that is a part of Gorr himself.
    And come on it is Thor he is fighting, Thor who can defeat most of the Marvel Universe.
    That's been very debateable in the last few years. As for Gorr being strong, that's one of the things not really shown just implied.

Marvel just need to stop dumbing down Thor, by giving him the creative use of his powers back, it would at least show the guy can fight intelligently. Just smashing things is Hulk's forte.

Considering Gorr's about to unleash his master weapon (the whole God Bomb thing), I'm assuming Thor will be forced to bust out his arsenal and aggression to put a stop to this creep.