Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Results 211 to 220 of 220
  1. #211
    Redeem Prime! Angelo2113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago.
    Posts
    2,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    No, sales = brand recognition/favorite characters, gimmicks, superficially pretty art, easily digestible writing that appeals to the LCD, etc.
    I apologize, you must believe I'm not very clever since I'm asking this but it doesn't hurt to ask, would you be able to explain to me why Action Comics sales have dropped since the first issue using the terms that you have used to describe what sells? (I'm being very honest, I am not trying to start anything or be sarcastic. I would very much like to know from a die-hard fan what they believe. Die-hard fan too much or is that about right? I couldn't come up with the proper term that you would agree with.)

  2. #212
    Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelo2113 View Post
    I sarcastically appreciate you acting like a smug douche instead of actually asking me why I don't enjoy it...

    (If you were actually serious when you stated that I did a good job of explaining why I don't enjoy it, I will write a comment of apology. If you were being sarcastic though, everything I said above these sentences stands.)
    When I'm being sarcastic I usually use a note like (still looking for the sarcasm font). I can see how my statement came off as an insult though, and I'm sorry.

    Yes, I am stating my own opinion in the most pretentious form possible. It's hard to be gushing about a title and not sound full of it. I think this issue had some serious distractions, the temporal jumps were all sorts of confusing, but under it all was a great story. Symbolism like "The day Superman died" and the statue beating don't take away from the fact that they were awesome scenes.

    No, sales don't matter to me. Batman #15 was worthless crap, and half of JL's sales are because of the backup. I know that's the only reason I started reading it again. Action on the other hand has a little bit of everything for everyone without making me buy it and 20 other titles. So yes I'm surprised when people don't like this title.

    Oh, and Action is selling without any press from DC at all. They are spending all of their advertising budgets on Batman, JL, JLA, and Inc. When was the last time you saw a homepage add for Action on any Comic sites.

  3. #213
    Redeem Prime! Angelo2113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago.
    Posts
    2,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    When I'm being sarcastic I usually use a note like (still looking for the sarcasm font). I can see how my statement came off as an insult though, and I'm sorry.

    Yes, I am stating my own opinion in the most pretentious form possible. It's hard to be gushing about a title and not sound full of it. I think this issue had some serious distractions, the temporal jumps were all sorts of confusing, but under it all was a great story. Symbolism like "The day Superman died" and the statue beating don't take away from the fact that they were awesome scenes.

    No, sales don't matter to me. Batman #15 was worthless crap, and half of JL's sales are because of the backup. I know that's the only reason I started reading it again. Action on the other hand has a little bit of everything for everyone without making me buy it and 20 other titles. So yes I'm surprised when people don't like this title.

    Oh, and Action is selling without any press from DC at all. They are spending all of their advertising budgets on Batman, JL, JLA, and Inc. When was the last time you saw a homepage add for Action on any Comic sites.
    No, no, you don't need to be sorry. I'm the one to apologize. I would never had said any of those rude comments if I believed you weren't being sarcastic. I'm truly sorry.

  4. #214
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelo2113 View Post
    I apologize, you must believe I'm not very clever since I'm asking this but it doesn't hurt to ask, would you be able to explain to me why Action Comics sales have dropped since the first issue using the terms that you have used to describe what sells? (I'm being very honest, I am not trying to start anything or be sarcastic. I would very much like to know from a die-hard fan what they believe. Die-hard fan too much or is that about right? I couldn't come up with the proper term that you would agree with.)
    Because all books make big drops in sales. The numbers for #1 issue are ordered before retailers have any true idea of how many of their customers will actually buy the books in the first place. They only spike back in sales because of big events and gimmicks that bring people back, like Death of the Family.

    Moreover, Batman is just a bigger character than Superman. Justice League is the second highest selling book and it has Batman in it. Grant Morrison is a relatively big name, but he's not as big as Geoff Johns where anything he writes will sell like gold (His Vertigo books aren't that stellar sellers). When Morrison wrote RIP, people had the same complaints that the story makes no sense, and yet it was selling extremely well.

    Fact is that Action Comics is still one of DC's better selling books.

  5. #215
    Redeem Prime! Angelo2113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago.
    Posts
    2,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Because all books make big drops in sales. The numbers for #1 issue are ordered before retailers have any true idea of how many of their customers will actually buy the books in the first place. They only spike back in sales because of big events and gimmicks that bring people back, like Death of the Family.

    Moreover, Batman is just a bigger character than Superman. Justice League is the second highest selling book and it has Batman in it. Grant Morrison is a relatively big name, but he's not as big as Geoff Johns where anything he writes will sell like gold (His Vertigo books aren't that stellar sellers). When Morrison wrote RIP, people had the same complaints that the story makes no sense, and yet it was selling extremely well.

    Fact is that Action Comics is still one of DC's better selling books.
    Interesting new details, I completely understand and will agree with you on many of them. Thank you for taking the time to type all of that. I apologize I came in and started an argument half-cocked.

  6. #216
    البطل الجبار BBally's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cairo, Egypt
    Posts
    714

    Default

    I've been really enjoying Morrison's run, he is one of those writers who gets the character. But wow, this whole revelation of the whole Little Man arc is like he's flipping the finger to DC Editorial in a way.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

  7. #217
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelo2113 View Post
    Interesting new details, I completely understand and will agree with you on many of them. Thank you for taking the time to type all of that. I apologize I came in and started an argument half-cocked.
    Yeah sorry for all the snark I gave you. I've just gotten a bit tired of people bashing Action. The whole sales-quality thing also tends to grate me because I really dislike JL and Batman, while my some of my favorite books are selling really poorly simply because they're not superhero books.

  8. #218
    Redeem Prime! Angelo2113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago.
    Posts
    2,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Yeah sorry for all the snark I gave you. I've just gotten a bit tired of people bashing Action. The whole sales-quality thing also tends to grate me because I really dislike JL and Batman, while my some of my favorite books are selling really poorly simply because they're not superhero books.
    No worries, stuff happens. Me antagonizing the situation didn't help either so I'm very sorry for that. I apologize if my comments came off negative about Action Comics and Grant Morrison's writing. Even though I don't believe it's a story that holds my interest, I still feel that it's great that it gives readers, like you, an exciting Superman story. That's all that I really hope for coming from Action Comics or any other Superman related series. I feel his story and character should be up right next to Batman with the top sales. I absolutely loved Final Crisis but I never really appreciated or understood the actual story until I read all the issues in one sitting, which I'm hoping I'll be able to do with Morrison's Action Comics run. I'll re-read all the issues and then most likely end up putting my foot in my mouth when I say that I don't care for it now. I completely understand about the whole sales/quality situation now. I've really enjoyed I, Vampire but I'm very disappointed that it's being cancelled. The only comfort is knowing that Joshua Hale Fiakov has actually planned the end of the series while other writers don't get that privilege. I will gladly admit though that I was wrong about the subject and I'm glad you discussed it with me. Thank you.

  9. #219
    Senior Member Coyote2010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,940

    Default

    i think its hilarious that supermans big enemy is an alternate idea of the character. somebody elses idea of superman always seems his worse foe.

  10. #220

    Default Action Comics 17 Preview / Discussion Spoilers

    Thank you for the good words, Optimiss

    Ive been corrected: I strained my back NOT sprained it sprains involve ligaments whereas strains involve tendons & muscles....duh but whatever I did.....it hurts like the DICKENS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •