Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Danny Miki replaces Jonathan Glapion as inker on Batman

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/02/18/glapion/

Have to say I am a little disappointed / nervous about this. Glapion's inking on this title had been superior, like seriously some of the best inking I've ever seen. Capullo posts his pencils often and they obviously look great, but Glapion was elevating things to elite levels, his inking was just unbelievable and drenched the series in so much gorgeous black atmosphere. It was the best I've ever seen Capullo's art look and I think Glapion had a LOT to do with that. I wonder how the art will look with a new inker...

That's disappointing if true. Jonathan's work has been great and will be missed, but hopefully Miki is good.

They should have gotten Miki on JLA. Finch's work looked best when inked by him.

Miki is one of the best inkers in the game and has inked Greg previously... not worried at all.

Washington.... the state not the place with the monuments.

Glapion inking Capullo is superior, but that's not to say Miki didn't make the artwork of all the great artists he had worked with look even better.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

Some examples:

I was super nervous about this change because I love glapion's work on batman, but I feel better after seeing those two pics.
    Grandparents dead - please no jokes

make mine DC, thanks

Like I said in the other thread, as long as FCO is on this book, I'm happy.

Senior Member I'm Not Daredevil's Avatar

I'm nervous...but it should be okay. Don't know if we will even be able to tell a difference really unless your looking for it. Now if FCO leaves that would make a huge impact on Capullo's art.

Confused by custom titles

Anyone who is "nervous" about Danny Miki as an inker hasn't been paying enough attention to the man's work over the years.

Seriously. What have you folks been looking at? This is another of those, "oh, some guy's getting changed. That's bad" reactions. Even Rob Liefeld's art looks better when Danny Miki inks it.

If there was one guy who was going to replace Jon Glapion on this book, it'd be Danny Miki.

Also, there is a reason Joe Quesada, a brilliant and discerning artist has/had his work inked by Miki -- Miki's attention to detail and his ability to render textures/half-tones properly using ink is remarkable. He is truly one of the best inkers in the business -- right up there with Scott Williams, in my opinion. He also has a history working with Greg on Spawn; and Greg's inked artwork during his run on that book was excellent. Even iffy artists' work looks better when Miki inks it.

Just look at the quality of Paul Pelletier's artwork on Aquaman versus his Marvel work (on some later Greg Pak Hulk arcs, among others) when inked by Miki. There's an added level of texture and detail there that's missing in Aquaman. To be fair, Art Thibert is a good inker but his work of late has not been as strong as it was 20-odd years ago, when he was inking Whilce Portacio on Uncanny X-Men. In contrast, Miki's been very consistent with his work over the years. In fact, when Pelletier first got paired with Miki, he raved about how good his artwork looked. He isn't the only one.

This is GOOD NEWS.

Quote Originally Posted by jpbl1976 View Post
    Anyone who is "nervous" about Danny Miki as an inker hasn't been paying enough attention to the man's work over the years.

Seriously. What have you folks been looking at? This is another of those, "oh, some guy's getting changed. That's bad" reactions. Even Rob Liefeld's art looks better when Danny Miki inks it.

If there was one guy who was going to replace Jon Glapion on this book, it'd be Danny Miki.

Also, there is a reason Joe Quesada, a brilliant and discerning artist has/had his work inked by Miki -- Miki's attention to detail and his ability to render textures/half-tones properly using ink is remarkable. He is truly one of the best inkers in the business -- right up there with Scott Williams, in my opinion. He also has a history working with Greg on Spawn; and Greg's inked artwork during his run on that book was excellent. Even iffy artists' work looks better when Miki inks it.

Just look at the quality of Paul Pelletier's artwork on Aquaman versus his Marvel work (on some later Greg Pak Hulk arcs, among others) when inked by Miki. There's an added level of texture and detail there that's missing in Aquaman. To be fair, Art Thibert is a good inker but his work of late has not been as strong as it was 20-odd years ago, when he was inking Whilce Portacio on Uncanny X-Men. In contrast, Miki's been very consistent with his work over the years. In fact, when Pelletier first got paired with Miki, he raved about how good his artwork looked. He isn't the only one.

This is GOOD NEWS.
    Well this is the first time I ever heard of him, so naturally I would be nervous over a change when I really don't know whether the inker is good or not. However, seeing those posted pictures makes me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by jpbl1976 View Post
    Even Rob Liefeld's art looks better when Danny Miki inks it.
    any inker will make liefeld's art better, but the best inker will ink over his anatomies. pages of black after black after black ink LOL

this thread feels like people asking 'who the #%$@ is Gordon Willis??' then going, 'oh, hes cinematographer for the godfather flims..' awkward!!

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Jon Glapion, Greg Capullo was not happy with his work, he even stated so much on twitter a few months back when someone accused of him of slipping, with a terribly inked Damian. I believe it was issue 14

I'm not surprised. He was responsible for inking Philip Tan on FC Revelations and Batman and Robin and both turned out to be terrible messes.