Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Recommend me recent titles with the best artwork

Been looking around for something that looks good. Not familiar at all with all the current titles or even the current artists working for Marvel (if Deodato is currently penciling anything for Marvel, please tell me what!)

I like lots of tight, refined detail. I LOVE Mike Deodatos style especially.

I just picked up the new Thunderbolts to give that a try since I've always liked those characters, and I decided I don't like it. Too bland and simplistic. Amateurish.

What do you guys think are the current best titles visually?

Quote Originally Posted by SuicideCommando View Post
    Been looking around for something that looks good. Not familiar at all with all the current titles or even the current artists working for Marvel (if Deodato is currently penciling anything for Marvel, please tell me what!)

I like lots of tight, refined detail. I LOVE Mike Deodatos style especially.

I just picked up the new Thunderbolts to give that a try since I've always liked those characters, and I decided I don't like it. Too bland and simplistic. Amateurish.

What do you guys think are the current best titles visually?
    Hawkeye, Indestructible Hulk, and Avenging Spider-Man (March-onward) are the best in my opinion.

Deodato is doing some issues of Avengers soon and is probably doing another book with Bendis this summer.
    Marvel: Daredevil, Punisher, Uncanny Avengers, Wolverine & the X-Men, Cyclops, Hawkeye, Superior/Amazing Spider-Man (Trading for)
    Image: East of West, Lazarus, Jupiter's Legacy, Starlight

The best looking Marvel books are:

1-Thor: God of Thunder with art by Esad Ribic. Truly, some of Ribic's best work.
    2-Avengers 1-3 with art by Jerome Opena. Not as brilliant as his work on the Dark Angel saga, but still pretty damn fantastic.
    3-Hawkeye with art by David Aja--most of the time.
    4-Young Avengers with art by Jamie Mckelvie. Super smooth and super clean.
    5-FF with art by Mike Allred
    6-Ultimate comics Spiderman with art by Sara Pichelli and david marquez
    The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame

Just checked out a few of those. FF seems kinda meh. Hawkeye looks like a newspaper comic strip. Definitely not what I'm looking for.
    Indestructable Hulk looks worth a closer look. Thor looks great.
    Those Spider-man titles look worth a second look as well. Which SM title would be considered the "main" one? Theres Superior now as well, yes? Any good?

Awesome art: Avengers Assemble, Journey into Mystery, All Old X-Men
    Good art: Avengers, Thor, Superior Spider Man (which is the "main" spider title), Deadpool
    Me: Please Marvel, give some spotlight to your 21th century creations instead of killing them every month.
    Marvel: Avengers Arena, lol!
    Classy as always, Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by SuicideCommando View Post
    Just checked out a few of those. FF seems kinda meh. Hawkeye looks like a newspaper comic strip. Definitely not what I'm looking for.
    Indestructable Hulk looks worth a closer look. Thor looks great.
    Those Spider-man titles look worth a second look as well. Which SM title would be considered the "main" one? Theres Superior now as well, yes? Any good?
    Check out All-New X-Men. It alternates between David Marquez (one of the guys from the Ultimate Spider-Man book you looked at) and Stuart Immonen with some great coloring by Marte Gracia.

Superior is the "main" spidey book (Ultimate takes place in the Ultimate universe, not the "main" universe). Others may disagree, but I'm not high on the artwork. It's not bad, just not great.

I'd check out the first arc of Avengers drawn by Jerome Opena as well as the Dark Angel Saga arc of Uncanny X-Force which was largely drawn by him.

Not sure if it's your thing, but the first few issues of the new Deadpool book were drawn by Tony Moore, whose work I rather like.

It's a couple years old now, but check out Spider-Woman: Agent of SWORD. It's all in one trade and, in my opinion, it's Alex Maleev doing some of his best work.

I also think Nick Bradshaw's work on Wolverine and the X-Men is very good, though not sure if it's to your taste.

Also, hold onto your hat and watch out for Uncanny X-Men in April: Frazier Irving is doing an arc starting then and Irving, imo, is one of the best in the business right now and a real score for Marvel.

Also yeah, others already have said it, but Thor really does look great. If you want more Esad Ribic, check out his run on Ultimates with Hickman. Alternatively, check out the Sub-Mariner and Silver Surfer miniseries he did - I think his work in those books was even stronger than Thor, probably because they were minis and he wasn't having to grind it out monthly.

Marco Checcetto's work on Punisher was very good as well. Sadly, he did not draw all the issues in that short run, eventually only showing up periodically. The other artists (Mirko Colak and Mico Suayan) are by no means bad, but they aren't quite at Checcetto's level: Colak comes off as a poor man's Checchetto in his work on the series while Suayan's style is completely different (though still quite good).

Ah! almost forgot! Check out SHIELD. There's only one trade after which Hickman basically left the series stranded. It's still relatively recent and features STUNNING artwork by Dustin Weaver that I think you'll enjoy. It sounds like it'd be right up your alley for sure.
    Last edited by Paladin King; 02-17-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

Deadpool's art is amazing.

Checked out a few more. Assuming the google image search gave me the correct results, Journey into Mystery looks pretty good. Is it basically more Thor related stuff? I'm seeing lots of Loki and Thor.
    Deadpool appears alright. Some of the pictures I found seemed leaning a little more on the cartoonish side than what I prefer, but not bad. Better than the FF or Hawkeye results I got by a fair margin. I guess I should ask if those titles (and Deadpool) are consistently featuring the same artists respectively, or switching up artists every so many issues?

As for anything Avengers related, I've never really read Avengers and I am already totally burned out on Avengers lol. There just seems to be way too much Avengers being thrown in my face from all sides, and I think Captain America is almsot as lame as most of DC's main characters, so I'm not really interested in Avengers.

Hawkeye is the best book in terms of art when judging it as a comic book, that is, does the art contribute to telling the story. Its a deliberate shift in style by Aja (see how different his style is in Immortal Iron Fist) to fit the mood of the book, which is less superhero, more down-to-earth realism with an indie vibe. If you are a comic book artist that wants to see how to do creative panels, how to tell stories with facial expressions, how panel arrangements, the gutter and white space contribute to the story, this book is for you.
    I don't think there's a current mainstream American superhero comic book that can touch Hawkeye right now. Brilliant all the way. Entertaining and technically outstanding at the same time.

I am indeed an aspiring artist in fact, and being able to tell a story visually and have creative panels, etc, is all well and good, but I just do not like that style of art. It's just too simple and, well, kid-like, for me. It may convey more of the story, but it doesn't make me want to linger on a page I just read to stare at the artwork. That's the point of a comic for me. Otherwise I might as well just read a book.

Senior Member I'm Not Daredevil's Avatar

In my opinion.

Thor: God of Thunder by Esad Ribic
    Daredevil by Chris Samnee
    Hawkeye by David Aja
    FF by Mike Allred
    Avengers first three issues by Jerome Opena

Those are some beautiful books.

Kev Walker's art on Avengers Arena is ******* awesome.

I'm just going to echo again whether you like it or not that FF and Hawkeye have the best art in Marvel.

If you are seriously an aspiring artist, you are looking at the wrong medium for inspiration. The primary goal for a comic book artist is to tell a story. The secondary goal is to meet your deadline. If you can't do one or the other, you're useless. This isn't gallery work, you need to draw things in motion from one panel to the next, and consider how they connect to one another. You need to quickly establish an emotional context and move on. You don't have all day to sit back and draw masterpieces.

The beauty in comic book art doesn't from being unbelievably detailed and realistic. The beauty comes from how it conveys the story. My advice to you is to try and seek out gallery art and use that as inspiration over comics.
    Last edited by Voss; 02-18-2013 at 06:05 AM.

You seem to be missing my point. I DO NOT LIKE that art. It is too simple and BORING. I don't care if it tells the story well, its too simple and boring. Its newspaper comic strip quality (in my opinion). If you are going to say Hawkeye has the BEST art right now, at least specify in terms of functionality or something because it just doesn't make me want to look at it after I've got the jist of the story, and in MY opinion THAT should be the number one goal (or at least TIED for number one) of ANY kind of artist, as it is a visual medium we are talking about here (they ARE called artists, and art is visual). One could tell a story in an amazing way with stick figures and little else and I wouldn't care how well they did it because I would be bored looking at it. Plenty of artists have and continue to have art that functions the same but is more detailed and more enjoyable to look at and that is what I like, and that is what I am asking for in this thread. :)
    Last edited by SuicideCommando; 02-18-2013 at 06:31 AM.

Ok... I know you've said you don't really like the more simplistic stuff, but I'ma include it anyway because it would be a crime not to

Thor: God of Thunder - Ribic (this sounds like it may be the kind of art you're looking for)
    Superior Spider-Man - EVERYONE
    FF - Allred
    Hawkeye - Aja
    Daredevil - EVERYONE (this may be too simplistic for you)
    Avengers - Opena (very detailed)
    Uncanny X-Men - Bachalo (one of my favourites, but judging by what you've said I'm not sure you'd like him)
    Avengers Arena - Walker
    Peter Parker is my lord and saviour.
    Show Teddy some love!
    "I want Apex to feast on Reptil like a pregnant khaleesi." - Sanji
    MY ART