Default Author Kevn J. Anderson: Enemies & Allies (Superman; Batman book)

Years ago, I read Kevin J. Anderson's "Last Days of Krypton" and was quite impressed in his vivid story-telling and how he painted a picture of Krypton's destruction and how he handled characters (in depth) like Zod, Aethyr (Ursa) and Nam-Ek (Non), Zor-EL, Lara and Jor-EL. Very good read of sci-fi elements that I think any Supes fan would enjoy that is interested in classic Kryptonian villains and the sheer brilliance of the EL family.

I was browsing Barnes and Nobles and came across Kevin J. Anderson's fresh installment in his superhero writings "Enemies & Allies"; set in the era of 1950's. A Superman/Batman meetup during the Cold War. The description is as follows:

"It was time of international tensions, a time of hope and fear---- when rock 'n' roll, UFO's and the Communuist menace preoccupied America; the first time in history when human beings had the power to destroy the world. It was when heroes were needed more than ever. Evil is loose in the world. As the United States and the Soviet Union race to build their nuclear stockpiles, two extraordinary men are called upon to form an uneasy alliance. Studies in opposites----shadow and light---- a Dark Knight and Man of Steel must overcome their mutual distrust to battle a darkness that threatens mankind. And when the paths of these titans cross, a bold and exciting new chapter of history will be written....and nothing will ever be the same."

If it's anything to the imagination of "Last Days of Krypton" then this Worlds Finest team up through the eyes of an open-minded author like Kevin J. Anderson could be a very fun read. I'm always up for a good Superman/Batman early tag-team tale. Plus, it comes with a nice paper-back cover articulated by the GREAT Alex Ross:

I liked it. It was classic Cold War style Sci Fi with the World's Finest team thrown in.

Virginia, United States Of 'Merica, bitches!!!

I loved THE LAST DAYS OF KRYPTON so much that I had used it as my own version of Krypton's back story post-INFINITE CRISIS (as DC wasn't very good at defining many aspects of continuity after IC). I actually thought for awhile that it would be an awesome way to restart the Superman movie franchise.Even on it's own merits it would have made a fantastic Sci-Fi movie. It's a story that's so action packed and exciting that it didn't matter that Superman wasn't in it...and the ending would have led right into a revamp of the Superman films. It was the first time in any version of the tale that I even cared about Krypton.

I haven't read the second book yet, but I plan to buy it soon. That Alex Ross cover is freaking awesome.

I havent read Enemies and Allies yet, but I do recommend "It's Superman!" by Tom De Haven. It's a prose novel set in the 30's that covers Clark's journey to becoming Superman and the events of Action #1. It takes a really odd look at the character and his supporting cast, changing things around in a very brave manner, and holding the feel of the era very, very well. I wouldnt say its the perfect origin story for Clark, but it was a really fun read.

Its not Superman related, but Im currently reading Chabon's "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" which thus far is completely deserving of its Pulitzer. Set again in the 30's, its the story of two young cousins who get in on the ground floor of the Golden Age of comics and attempt to find their fortunes.

I enjoyed Kevin J. Anderson's Star Wars novels when I was young, and his Dune works are solid enough, but I have been holding off on trying Enemies & Allies since it seems almost impossible to translate comics into novel form and have it read well. Is it really worth picking up? I hold my literature to a very high standard.

I have "It's Superman!" displayed with my Superman memorabilia but have yet to read it in its entirety. I have so many things to read but I'll get to it eventually. I love the cover art, very Fleischer-like with Superman saving the bending building. So cool.

I was glad I came across Enemies and Allies because my intent was to snag the Superman In Hollywood book that captures behind the scenes of Superman in radio, cartoon and film. Couldn't find that one but glad I ended up walking out with E & A's.

The cover is actually from the Fleischer cartoon. I love both It's Superman and Last Days of Krypton.

Quote Originally Posted by torysac58 View Post
    The cover is actually from the Fleischer cartoon. I love both It's Superman and Last Days of Krypton.
    This. I got to read Enemies and Allies and It's Superman but only had the chance to read Last Days in snipits. In "It's Superman" I like how they made Superman into a science fiction fan/B+ student who travels around America and eventually become Superman. I love how they portages his powers as well as how he learned about his alien heritage/he's Kryptonian(there are some hints of Krypton), Lex and Superman's first meet and how he referenced a lot of Superman's adventures from the golden age and Fleischer cartoon. The only 2 things I don't like is non-Jimmy(although I think he made a reference to Jimmy in the form of an eager copy boy), and kind of how Superman got his costume(although there is a nice twist to it at least). This is really one of the better Superman origins compared to some of the origins that came out post-1986/Byrne's Man of Steel miniseries

Enemies and Allies is a perfect Superman/Batman first teamup. I like the Batman Kevin Anderson shows(a James bond fan, a guy who uses the park to help find and fight criminals, etc) and the little things like people not totally believing Superman is an alien at first. This is a great read and really a Superman/Batman novel done right.
    A Comic book fan till I die.

You know, "Krypton" could be an amazing TV Show done right.

I have to say, this sounds really, really cool. A period piece Superman/Batman team-up? Sign me up! I'll have to track down a copy of this and give it a good read. I love the premise.

Since we're on the topic, does anyone know of any other good superhero genre novels? Outside of the Maggin ones of course.

Im looking for something intelligent and not just a novelization of a comic arc. I know they've done that for, well, just about every major comic arc from Superman's death to Final Crisis and the Marvel movies. But Im looking for something deeper and better than that.

Doesnt have to be Superman or Superman related, or even DC. It could be something completely original or based on existing properties, whatever.

I'd love to find something else on the level of Game of Thrones or Wheel of Time or Kavalier & Clay, but I doubt my luck is going to run that strong. But still, anyone got any good suggestions?

The novelization of Final Crisis I have heard was pretty good.

I got them a little while back: haven't read them yet.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...